Best reading order

gemmellfan

Hi everyone

new on here and recently introduced to his books and even though ive bin reading reading scifi/fant books nearly all my life its the first time ive read these...

needless to say im hooked and intend to read the rest of the series, im currently reading the rigante books and have already read the troy books

so i was wondering before i embark on anyother series is there a recommended reading order to the different series as with some authers you may get some series related to others etc

cheers

I say Rigante is the best place to start because its his best written series. It doesnt have his best epic heroes though. I started with it and loved it.

After that i recommend going by his publishing order. Start with his legendary book Legend and so on.

You had bit bad luck reading Troy series first because its not his greatest series and it isnt finished by Gemmell himself.

What Conn said, when you read the Rigante series then you will see where he gets his name from. I reckon Conn is well versed in the Gemmell-verse so it's good to lend him your ears :) And Rigante is a good place to start, book one is a very emotional piece as well but not like in the pansy kind of way, you really feel for the main character through all his trials and tribulations.

Good description of Gemmell there emotional piece but not in a.... :D

well that all works quite well, cheers :D
especially as ive just bought the complete Drenai series of ebay for £17 inc P&P, bargain i recon...

i see your points over the troy books but given id not read any others and with nothing to compare them to i really enjoyed them, also i was going through a period where i was enjoying historical novels so pretty thankful as it was they that introduced to the rest of Gemmell's books :)

still onwards, im about half way through the second book of the rigante and still cruising ebay for more bargaintastic books for the other series....

I say read Legend first because it was Gemmel's first book, but absolutely read all the rest Rigante, Drenai and the rest in chronoligical order.

I would read the Drenai books grouped by character in order of publication, and I think Legend should be read first whatever you do though. If you read First Chronicles before Legend it will ruin the end of Legend for instance.

Druss:
Legend
First Chronicles
Legend of Deathwalker

Waylander:
Waylander
Waylander II
Hero in the Shadows

Skilgannon:
White Wolf
Swords of Night and Day

Standalone Drenai (A kind of trilogy IMO):
King Beyond the Gate
Quest for Lost Heroes
Winter Warriors

You had bit bad luck reading Troy series first because its not his greatest series and it isnt finished by Gemmell himself.

The bad luck you had was that the Troy books are possibly the best series ever written and you might not top it!

Na, Drenai is the best.

Although the end books of Drenai taper off and got too samey samey.

Best Drenai books are (IMHO) in no particular order...
Waylander
Legend
King Beyond the Gate

Shannow Series:
Wolf in Shadow (The best in Shannow series, I thought it lost a lot of it's impact towards the latter books.)

Then the two parter:

Lion Of macedon (Ace!)
Dark Prince (got to read it for the conclusion but inferior to Lion of Macedon - again in my opinion)

P.S I've read all of DG's books, he is one super writer.