Arthur Machen, Thoughts?

I also disagree about "The Great God Pan," perhaps a bit more strongly than J.D. For the most part Machen's mystery-like approach to the horror story appeals to me....

As in Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, I too can enjoy this.

Here are several thoughts on "The Great God Pan."

Machen's supposal -- that poor Mary of "The Experiment" gives birth to a baby who grows to be the evil Helen Vaughan -- placed him in inevitable and perhaps insoluble difficulties of plotting and imagination.

Let me put it this way. If we take "The Experiment" by itself, then the evil lies with the man who undertook so wrongful an action. The theme and perhaps even the execution are worthy of Hawthorne. His stories are replete with cold-hearted intellectuals. "The Experiment" ends on a note of wonder, horror, sorrow over what people do to people, and pathos.

If Helen, the daughter of Pan/the devil in “The Great God Pan” as it stands, is to be the monster of evil that she needs to be to make the story work, then her wickedness needs to be so extreme as to make the scientist who experimented on Mary seem less evil. This raises two problems.

(1)The enormity of the wrong done to Mary seems to be diminished; it is there in "Pan" largely just as the "origin" of the evil Helen, who is a sort of comic book super-villainess!

One could easily imagine someone proposing that she doesn’t really die at the end of the story after all, and going on to fit her into the Wold Newton mythos.

(2)Machen has to imagine the most horrifying, disgusting wickedness that he can in order to attribute it to Helen as Pan’s/the devil’s daughter. But imagining such evil is not really what he wants to do, and not, perhaps, what any sane and decent person would want to do.

Machen wanted, to be sure, to grapple with the theme of evil, but he wanted too to suggest the dimension of a realm – call it the supernatural – that transcends our common experience and the doctrines of materialism. He understood that attempts to depict it outright were likely to fail. He works with hints: the suicides who have seen and/or done something they can’t bear to remember. But one sees reviewers and critics again and again shake their heads over this aspect of the story, which is generally taken to involve some kind of perverse sexuality. Alas, in our time there is no perversion of sexuality that isn’t common coin of politics and even talk on the playground. In Machen’s day, the authorwas criticized for his unwholesome imagination, in ours he is tut-tutted for being prudishly fastidious about and at the same time titillated by sex.

I’ll say that, in the context of some other things that Machen wrote, one can see why a sexual element in the suggestion of atrocious evil would make sense. He understood the sexual love of man and woman as, in essence, a sacrament (cf. “A Fragment of Life”). Thus sexual perversion is not simply “immoral”in a conventional sense, it is blasphemy, an act that truly cries to heaven for vengeance. But it would be awkward, overly explicit or expository, for Machen to explain this. He can only hope that some of his readers “get the point” without his doing so. Far and away the majority do not. They lack that sacramental sense. To get the real horror of the Helen Vaughan material, one might first have to brood over Canticles/The Song of Solomon in the Bible till one really has absorbed the interpretation that it is simultaneously a celebration of erotic, physical love and a symbolic uncovering of love between God and the soul. With this mystical masterpiece in mind, then read “The Great God Pan.” But anyone who has absorbed the former might prefer not to meditate on the latter after all.

As in Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, I too can enjoy this.

Here are several thoughts on "The Great God Pan."

Machen's supposal -- that poor Mary of "The Experiment" gives birth to a baby who grows to be the evil Helen Vaughan -- placed him in inevitable and perhaps insoluble difficulties of plotting and imagination.

Let me put it this way. If we take "The Experiment" by itself, then the evil lies with the man who undertook so wrongful an action. The theme and perhaps even the execution are worthy of Hawthorne. His stories are replete with cold-hearted intellectuals. "The Experiment" ends on a note of wonder, horror, sorrow over what people do to people, and pathos.

I'd agree with this. But since the story doesn't end there ...

Mary becomes the victim not just of Doctor Raymond, but of Nietzsche, sort of: Seeing the abyss, the abyss has also seen her, licked its chops and attacked. Raymond's evil was one of pride and ignorance, and I'll grant Machen did not deal the man a stern enough punishment, but then the story becomes, what of directed and purposeful evil? Helen is all that.

If Helen, the daughter of Pan/the devil in “The Great God Pan” as it stands, is to be the monster of evil that she needs to be to make the story work, then her wickedness needs to be so extreme as to make the scientist who experimented on Mary seem less evil. This raises two problems.
(1)The enormity of the wrong done to Mary seems to be diminished; it is there in "Pan" largely just as the "origin" of the evil Helen, who is a sort of comic book super-villainess!
I can't really disagree, except that for me Machen handles this well, so that I never see Helen as a female Fu Manchu.

(2)Machen has to imagine the most horrifying, disgusting wickedness that he can in order to attribute it to Helen as Pan’s/the devil’s daughter. But imagining such evil is not really what he wants to do, and not, perhaps, what any sane and decent person would want to do.

Machen wanted, to be sure, to grapple with the theme of evil, but he wanted too to suggest the dimension of a realm – call it the supernatural – that transcends our common experience and the doctrines of materialism. He understood that attempts to depict it outright were likely to fail. He works with hints: the suicides who have seen and/or done something they can’t bear to remember. But one sees reviewers and critics again and again shake their heads over this aspect of the story, which is generally taken to involve some kind of perverse sexuality. Alas, in our time there is no perversion of sexuality that isn’t common coin of politics and even talk on the playground. In Machen’s day, the authorwas criticized for his unwholesome imagination, in ours he is tut-tutted for being prudishly fastidious about and at the same time titillated by sex.
This is where I disagree. I think the story works because it engages the reader to imagine the most depraved act the reader can imagine -- or to slide over that, assuming that Helen managed to take the individual to the brink of what the individual could endure and then pushed him over the edge. Further, there's the element of panic in Pan: Whatever licentiousness she taps into with each man, she uses as a crowbar to pry open what inspires fear in him. The way in which Machen describes the deaths is horrible enough for me to take it that she succeeded in finding each man's weakness and then led him to execute himself in one of the most brutal ways possible.

I’ll say that, in the context of some other things that Machen wrote, one can see why a sexual element in the suggestion of atrocious evil would make sense. He understood the sexual love of man and woman as, in essence, a sacrament (cf. “A Fragment of Life”). Thus sexual perversion is not simply “immoral”in a conventional sense, it is blasphemy, an act that truly cries to heaven for vengeance. But it would be awkward, overly explicit or expository, for Machen to explain this. He can only hope that some of his readers “get the point” without his doing so. Far and away the majority do not. They lack that sacramental sense. To get the real horror of the Helen Vaughan material, one might first have to brood over Canticles/The Song of Solomon in the Bible till one really has absorbed the interpretation that it is simultaneously a celebration of erotic, physical love and a symbolic uncovering of love between God and the soul. With this mystical masterpiece in mind, then read “The Great God Pan.” But anyone who has absorbed the former might prefer not to meditate on the latter after all.
This is interesting and certainly helps with what Machen himself might have thought about the story, but a reader entering without that background knowledge or belief system -- which describes me -- can still find the story particularly disturbing and effective, and come to a reasonable reading of it. For me, parts of the story still raise my neck hairs, even after all these years.

Randy M.

I've read Things Near and Far once or twice, but it is overdue for another visit.

This autobiographical work by Machen is now getting that (re)visit from me. I am just in the place where he writes of the decline in newspaper journalism from the late 19th century to the 1920s; he finds it highly instructive to consider that Coventry Patmore could write essays for the St. James's Gazette in that bygone time. I really must get back to Patmore (whose little essay on "The Point of Rest in Art," in Religio Poetæ gave me the key to Tom Bombadil). Machen cannot be well contextualized without knowledge of Patmore as well as of Coleridge -- another author upon whose writings I mean to feed again; and Samuel Johnson certainly would make a third source. Sturdy resources against barbarism, all of them.

It is too bad that, so far as I know, Machen knew not the art of Samuel Palmer -- let alone the letters thereof. I can only dream of walking up to Machen's residence, knocking, placing The Life and Letters of Samuel Palmer in Machen's hand, and with a respectful salute, leaving him to its perusal.

https://archive.org/details/lifeandletterss01palmgoog

If ever Machen had an artist soul brother, it was Palmer...

Two more authors whom I would take to be significant for Machen: Sir Thomas Browne and Thomas de Quincey. One could have quite a profitable "semester" reading them and the authors whom I just mentioned. In fact I think that's worth a new thread, which I shall call Literary Forbears of Arthur Machen, to be started in the general discussion zone.

Two more authors whom I would take to be significant for Machen: Sir Thomas Browne and Thomas de Quincey. One could have quite a profitable "semester" reading them and the authors whom I just mentioned. In fact I think that's worth a new thread, which I shall call Literary Forbears of Arthur Machen, to be started in the general discussion zone.

The first novel I ever read by Machen was The Hill of Dreams absolutely terrific book.:)

I've seen two or three collections of his letters, but I haven't found Machen to excel as an epistolarian.

However, his little anecdote below has stuck in my memory, so here it is. From a 23 Dec. 1937 letter to Colin Summerford:

---Not long after the war, I was accustomed every Saturday to take a glass of dubious and metallic absinthe in a Mooney pub in a turning off Fleet Street. The barman came from County Tipperary; and on one occasion, after serving me with my absinthe, he gave the next customer his dose of Irish from the same measure.

"What's this you're giving me? It's got a quare taste."

The barman leant over and said in a confidential, impressive, stage whisper:

"There's good in it. It's absinthe. It's very dear."

The customer was satisfied, as one having the best of the bargain.---

In this Wormwoodiana posting, I ask readers to consider Machen's unusual story "The Tree of Life" alongside the Star Trek pilot, "The Cage." The doomed young man Teilo, last in the line of a rural Welsh family, is in a situation somewhat like that of Vina, the spaceship crash survivor. Both of these seem to me to be ethically troubling stories. If you read the piece, I hope you'll comment there.

Wormwoodiana: Guest Post: Machen’s Teilo in “The Tree of Life” and the Talosian Situation by Dale Nelson

My last (for now, anyway) piece on Machen -- and others -- for Wormwoodiana is up.

Wormwoodiana: Guest Post: Machen, Kipling, and Two English Ladies at Versailles: Stories Not Quite Told, by Dale Nelson

Here I talk about an obscure story (in both sense of the adjective) by Machen, "The Exalted Omega," and its possible inspiration from Kipling's excellent "'Wireless.'" I comment on Machen's use of An Adventure, the once well-known book about the "psychic" adventure of two English ladies at the Petit Trianon at Versailles, noting a source for the mundane explanation.

"The Great God Pan" convinced me that Pan was a god well worth paying attention to. Which is so; there are various words derived from his name, all of them coupled with great scope--panorama, Panavision, Pan-American, pandemonium, and on for some more.

Well, if Pan died in Rome or Greece, he was re-invented in England, where he was seen as being hale and hearty for a time.

The reference to the three female oracles reminds me of the Chamber of the Moon in Burroughs' THE GODS OF MARS, where Isis, Deja Thoris, and Thuvia were imprisoned.