Before They are Hanged - Joe Abercrombie

I've just noticed something kind-of-similar about Memory, Sorrow and Thorn and The First Law that I don't feel works very smoothly in either. Also I've worked out how to do spoilers. Here goes:

That said, MST and TFL are some of the best fantasy I've read for years, if not decades.

Intersting point there, and I somewhat agree. His fate was the one thing that really bothered me about First Law. It did feel rather arbitrary, like it was just going for shock.

I'd have to disagree on MST though, I got about 100 pages into book 2 and had to quit. I was tired of Simon crying and I'd already solved one of the big "mysteries" (missing sword... it was so painfully obvious the moment its existence was revealed) and couldn't believe it took 3 more books for the supposedly intelligent characters to get there. It had its moments, but there was so much unnecessary filler and exposition I couldn't bring myself to go on.

I see what you mean. My only real issue with MST was the willingness of the author to let Simon wander around lost. I can think of at least three points in the series where he tries to find his way, gets hungry and somewhat delusional, and eventually escapes/is rescued. These do feel realistic, in that they capture the experience quite well to my mind, but they go on a bit.

As regards the mysteries, I didn't mind. I was expecting a slightly predictable, slightly Tolkeinesque fantasy epic, and the fact that MST moves away from this quite considerably, as well as being well characterised, was more than enough for me.

Logen i almost rolled my eyes against first time i saw him. The heroic barbarian. But Glokta i thought hm what is this guy about. Thats important in adventure fantasy.
"Heroic barbarian" is hardly an accurate description of Logen, I think. I agree, though (as I suppose most will), that Glokta was the best character.

Regarding West -
for some reason, his fate (and I agree that the disease probably does kill him) didn't seem surprising to me. Maybe it's because I realised Abercrombie wasn't the "happily ever after" kind of writer, but I had sort of expected that West's fate would be sad and pitiable, rather than pleasant. I liked how his final meeting with Glokta showed what was likely the last vestige of humanity left in the new Arch Lector. I feel Glokta, after this, becomes a complete and utter ruthless bad-ass.

Overall, as I stated before, I was perfectly satisifed with the ending(s). I thought it all fit with the general mood and setting of the story.

"Heroic barbarian" is hardly an accurate description of Logen, I think. I agree, though (as I suppose most will), that Glokta was the best character.

Regarding West -
for some reason, his fate (and I agree that the disease probably does kill him) didn't seem surprising to me. Maybe it's because I realised Abercrombie wasn't the "happily ever after" kind of writer, but I had sort of expected that West's fate would be sad and pitiable, rather than pleasant. I liked how his final meeting with Glokta showed what was likely the last vestige of humanity left in the new Arch Lector. I feel Glokta, after this, becomes a complete and utter ruthless bad-ass.

Overall, as I stated before, I was perfectly satisifed with the ending(s). I thought it all fit with the general mood and setting of the story.

No matter how you like Logen you must see him as the millionth version of Conan the barbarian....
Heroic only because he is one of the good guys. I dont want say anymore since i have read only the first book.

Nothing wrong with that if you write him well. I found him interesting in the end of the first book.

Glokta was more interesting from page one because you havent read a million him before.

On page 400 now and I tell you this is one of the best books I have read in years. I am going to push to finish it before I go on leave so that I can start a new book when I am on holiday. Will have to start reading about 30-40 pages a day to keep up with my goal of finishing it in the next 2 weeks. Slow reader :D

Really enjoyed Before They Are Hanged - very well paced and keeps it all up relentlessly.

Bit disappointed with the expedition, perhaps for obvious reasons - but still fun, nonetheless. :)

Finished the book, LOVED the ending. A rock! All that for a rock. Brilliant.

I especially loved parts in the North and South and found the journey of the adventurer's quite tedious. Well, not really. I just did not like F/L action sequence #24, etc. It was tolerable in the first book, but it was just too much in this one.

Yes, the sex scene was quite nicely done. And even better than that was Jezal's reaction, his reversion to despising them again for a brief period.

But in scope, the Union looks ******. Bethod's held his own in the North AND has got Shanka and the Emperor was defied by the Union. Add in the succession problem and we have got ourselves a hell of a story in LAOK. Cant wait to get into it.

Logen i almost rolled my eyes against first time i saw him. The heroic barbarian. But Glokta i thought hm what is this guy about. Thats important in adventure fantasy.

The subtle point is that Logen isn't a hero - read Last Argument of Kings and you might see that more clearly. :)

The subtle point is that Logen isn't a hero - read Last Argument of Kings and you might see that more clearly. :)

Conan isnt a hero either, he is a killer, a famed barbarian northmen just like Logen. Thats what i meant. Logen is the most clichè character from page 1 in book 1. Of course First Law is grim and gritty and wont have too much clear heroic characters. I meant the barbarian like Logen is very old news compared to Glokta,Jezal type characters. We all know some of them will end being the the good guys of the story. That is a given in most epic or heroic fantasy.

Still im enjoying the second book more and Logen has grown little more from his old barbarian stereotype. Abercrombie strength is the tight focus on the characters that works despite they are old mage, supernatural female warrior that you have seen tons of times before.

Im reading Abercrombie despite i avoid epic fantasy because i prefer heroic fantasy that have less scope, down to earth heroics, tight focus on one or two heroes. Abercrombie action,use of characteres remind me more of the kind heroic fantasy i often read by Gemmell,Kearney type.

Back