Dan Simmons: Ilium and Olympos

Okay, just finished Hyperion...

...incredible! I loved everything about it (especially the Scholar's story). I loved the multiple POV's and the overarching narrative framework. Every story was great in a different way and it was an awesome way to explore the Hyperion universe. Can't wait to get the next one!

I must say I loved them too - I have read the first two and will get around to Endymion, The Rise of Endymion and the Orphans of the Helix (short story) which follow on, though you should be aware that Endymion is set nearly 300 years later. I am normally more fond of hard SF with believable technology and did have to suspend belief a little at some of his technology, though I have to say I loved the idea of starfaring Trees... brilliant! I can actually see why Hyperion books might slightly annoy hard SF fans whilst having strong appeal to fantasy readers, although clearly SF, it does contain many fanatasy elements; for example the Shrike is almost a dragon (you said you wanted one :D)

I think that's partly why I enjoyed it - being a dedicated fantasy fan, I often find it difficult to get into scifi books with really strong or technical scientific elements. To me, Hyperion, while full of interesting technological concepts, was pretty light on the jargon (also why I like OSC's Ender's Game) and almost read like a fantasy. There were a couple of terms I didn't really understand but I got the impression that was because Simmons was intentionally playing games with me, rather than through any lack of understanding on my part.

Nevermind the technology in Hyperion and its first sequel, these books are not really strong on physics, such as effect and cause (;) if I can put it like that in order to avoid spoilers). And I also found some of the characters more than dull (something I found in Ilium and Olympos, to return to the thread topic).

What I will say is that I can't fault Simmons on his ambitions in these series, just his ability, in my lowly opinion, to fulfil them completely satisfactorily.

I think that's partly why I enjoyed it - being a dedicated fantasy fan, I often find it difficult to get into scifi books with really strong or technical scientific elements. To me, Hyperion, while full of interesting technological concepts, was pretty light on the jargon (also why I like OSC's Ender's Game) and almost read like a fantasy. There were a couple of terms I didn't really understand but I got the impression that was because Simmons was intentionally playing games with me, rather than through any lack of understanding on my part.
I just finished Hyperion and Fall of Hyperion. I'm a fantasy lover just branching out into SF. Interestingly enough, I started with Ender's Game (thought it was very good). I thoughly enjoyed both books and agree that they do seem to have a fantasy flavor (perhaps it's the big quest that the pilgrims go on). Anyhow, I'd recommend it to anyone like myself who is making tentative forays into the SF genre.

I must say I loved them too - I have read the first two and will get around to Endymion, The Rise of Endymion and the Orphans of the Helix (short story) which follow on, though you should be aware that Endymion is set nearly 300 years later. I am normally more fond of hard SF with believable technology and did have to suspend belief a little at some of his technology, though I have to say I loved the idea of starfaring Trees... brilliant! I can actually see why Hyperion books might slightly annoy hard SF fans whilst having strong appeal to fantasy readers, although clearly SF, it does contain many fanatasy elements; for example the Shrike is almost a dragon (you said you wanted one :D)

I've just finished all four Hyperion Cantos books (but not the Helix short story yet). I really enjoyed all the books but you really have to read the Endymion books which makes the Hyperion books more understandable. While Simmons does get overly detailed and long-winded at some places (did he get paid by the word?), the detailed universe he constructs and how it all ties together in the end is fantastic. This series would be one of my desert island book choices for sure!

Echoes my own reaction. While I didn't love Hyperion, I did enjoy it and found myself engrossed, though at times it dragged. It didn't feel like a typical sci-fi experience to me and seemed to have a lot more fantasy elements going on than I'd have expected, certainly more than tech jargon. And I also liked Ender's Game a lot. Haven't read any of the other Hyperion books... 3 more very long books in this world seems a bit much and I don't like the idea of halfway through jumping 300 years and abandoning all the characters I initially enjoyed just to find out the secret of the Shrike.

I'll be curious if you read Ilium/Olympos. I've been very curious about them myself but never made the jump either. They're very long and even reviews by his fans are rather unkind to Olympos.... there's no denying Simmons is one ambitious guy.

Odd that while I have almost no interest in sci-fi lit and vastly prefer fantasy, my fav shows are Firefly, Battlestar Galactica, and Stargate SG-1... while I've never once enjoyed a fantasy based tv show.

Echoes my own reaction. While I didn't love Hyperion, I did enjoy it and found myself engrossed, though at times it dragged. It didn't feel like a typical sci-fi experience to me and seemed to have a lot more fantasy elements going on than I'd have expected, certainly more than tech jargon. And I also liked Ender's Game a lot. Haven't read any of the other Hyperion books... 3 more very long books in this world seems a bit much and I don't like the idea of halfway through jumping 300 years and abandoning all the characters I initially enjoyed just to find out the secret of the Shrike.

You are seriously shortchanging yourself if you don't read the Endymion books. You've only got 1/2 the story so far.

In the Endymion books, Simmons ties everything together (unlike many SF authors of which Alastair Reynolds comes immediately to mind), nicely wrapping up all the loose ends. You'll learn more than the secret of the Shrike. You'll learn the secrets of the Technocore, the Cruciform, the Farcasters and the universe itself! :D

In the final book, I had become so invested in the characters and story, that I found myself choking up emotionally at some points. To me, that is an indication of a good story.