The Writing Challenges - Having At It

You know Parson, I thought your piece was very nice - reminded me a lot of the Voyage of the Dawn Treader, which is one of my fave Narnia books. ;) I didn't mention it though because almost every piece has been worth mentioning and I am too lazy for that! I am however considering my top five. Considering, considering....

I'm very much like Mouse and Digs when it comes to editing. I guess I edit along the way though. I thought about an idea for a while - listening to music on the bus to work is a great time to ponder... to dream...

I think creating an idea made up the majority of the time to write the story. I don't consider myself much of a write though, I just thought I'd give it a crack. Maybe next time I'll think more about form rather than content.

I thought this one fitted better in this thread than the standard commenting one (and you were hoping it would drop off the bottom of the list, and out of people's thoughts, weren't you?)

My muse was over enthusiastic with suggestions this time, and so I wrote each one up:–

“We were lucky to find that channel”

Even if I agreed totally with Her Diplomacy, I had heard this a thousand times already. I was struggling, not with my new body, with which I had been training for cycles, but with the bizarre accoutrements that surrounded it. If one had to be a biped, and on this planet that seemed the only option, much as I would have appreciated being a dog, why add complications to an already fraught balance ?

We’d turned the ship towards this planet when radio waves coming from it indicated it had reached a level of technology interesting for an interstellar trader; when a race develops television, they are ripe for exploitation. When the flux lowered, as it almost always does as more sophisticated techniques replace pure brute power, we knew the orbit, and our drone flew ahead of us, ready to relay the new information when it attached itself to one of their satellites.

While it flew we investigated the signals we had recorded, worked out how to decode their images, found colour values by spectroscopic analysis of their atmosphere, prepared.

Then it was there and new information poured in; but this one channel, with slightly different coding, had proved the jackpot – simplicity in action, low diversity and high repetivity of dialogue, clear veiws of both how the bodies looked, and how they functioned. Probably, we estimated, a training course for juveniles.

It is always wise to send a forward scout before revealing the presence of the ship itself, and I, in this new body and having been saturated with the training film, existed for that. They’d never notice me, precisely copying both the costumes and the actions they’d been transmitting.

I watched a final episode as I fitted the body and its accessories into the custom-built lander, before the screen brought up the final, cryptic symbols :
CERTIFICATE XXX.

And then, cut it down till it fit…

We had been lucky to find the channel.

Actions simplified, vocabulary reduced while able to see exactly how the body I wore would look, move. Probably an instruction program for youngsters, it met our requirements exactly.

I watched one last episode while loading myself and accessories into the stealthed landing craft.

They’d never detect me, I’d practiced continuously.

Episode ended, the usual cryptic message :
XXX RATED

Start writing , making it up as I go along - then cropping the odd word til it fits. Then improving the wors used. Then submitting. Then repenting at leisure.
Which is probably why I got no votes! (but honourable mentions VERY gratefully received). I must plan a little more carefully next time ; which is not my style at all , but I have some formidable fellow entrants for comparison

After a full year of Challenges, I find that my approach to writing the stories is different practically every time.

This month, for the first time, I changed the story a bit to match the title.

My process hasn't yet settled into anything that is complete yet. I have changed the format from mulling things over in my head, to writing out a plan or simply writing until I've finished then having a mad slash with my editing staff!

At present my stories seem to be evolving around one very clear physical action(taking a bite of an apple, crawling into bed, stepping off a stool.) I then question how did we get to THIS moment and what ls so important that I need to magnify and highlight this singular action. I will then fill in the other details using the vast store of imaginings in my head. Yep, I'm a day dreamer. :D

The rules say 75 or less, so I say 'Fine. I'll try and get mine under 60.' I don't always hit that target but I try.
I figure if its gonna be short then make a virtue out of that- make the prose brutally sparse and bony.
Bizarrely, my model for this is Joy Division performing 'Transmission' on that (only) TV appearance of theirs. Bare as hell. And it must work, because--judging by the votes I get--I've only got underground success and never make the top ten!

I think that one month, regardless of topic, we should all include further examples of the devilish deeds of Snow White (a name that could only have been dreamt up, by a less-than-competent spin doctor, to cover a catalogue of transgressions).

Perhaps someone might choose Snow White as the theme when it's their turn.

Although our members might decide to be perverse and write stories about wintery landscapes instead.