Going Postal On Sky 1 (Spoilers)

Joel007

Shiny! Let's be bad guys.
I liked the adaptation of Going Postal. It was a great book (as usual :)), and its pacing and story easily lent itself to becoming a screenplay. It looks like they've upped the budget for this one as well, very good looking.

That said, I missed all the little jokes: the sisal two-step explanation for example. I also thought the exposition could have been more subtly inserted at times, (à la "talkative Mr Gryle"). The bit I missed most of all was the "Damn great fiery eye" which could have been done so easily.

Overall though, a great way of getting pTerry's stories out to those who seem intimidated by books.

I've only watched Part1 so far but thought it was absolutely brilliant. The look and the feel of it was wonderful and Charles Dance is an excellent Ventinari

I saw both parts, and I really enjoyed them. I loved the level of attention to detail in the sets, and the characters were pretty good, too (I agree, Kathryn, Charles Dance was brilliant as Vetinari, in my opinion). It didn't quite have the humour and was missing a couple of things, but I'm willing to overlook them.:)

I lived in Royal Oak and had a friend in the mail room during the workplace shootings which coined this term. There was nothing funny about it. I hope the same can be said for the book.

I lived in Royal Oak and had a friend in the mail room during the workplace shootings which coined this term. There was nothing funny about it. I hope the same can be said for the book.

Well it's not about work place shootings anyway

I saw this, and it was entertaining - but I found the humour too forced a lot of the time. Very good acting, though, I agree. :)

And... I missed the other Pratchett TV adaptation because, at the time, I didn't have Sky. Hopefully I can catch up sometime. I'd like to watch both, even though this one sounds the better one.

I haven't seen it as we don't have Sky, but I've seen some of the publicity blurb and Dance, David Suchet and Andrew Sachs look perfect for their roles. I can't say the actor chosen for Moist does anything for me -- he looks too obviously a wide boy to get away with so many scams. What was he like? (I suppose we should be grateful they didn't cast David Jason again...)

Tamsin Greig is surely way too old to be Sacharissa -- I can't see William de Worde falling for her, somehow. And in none of the pictures or articles has there been mention of Mr Pump (or Gladys) -- were they in there?

Isn't it about time someone made a serial based in Discworld? It seems such a vibrant , exciting world just waiting for all of it's stories to be told. Could incorporate existing characters blending in with new ones , or even involve stories from previous Discworld novels

Why just one? How about:

ShadesDwellers...(dah-da dah-da dah dah dah...)

Chittling Street...(Daaah da da dada dah...)

The Assassins...(dah-da dah-da dah-de-dah...)

:p

I can't say the actor chosen for Moist does anything for me -- he looks too obviously a wide boy to get away with so many scams. What was he like? (I suppose we should be grateful they didn't cast David Jason again...)

I have to say the same, the way he looks and acts was very Rufus Hound, who I normally like, but it didn't feel like it suited the character in this instance.

Other than that I thought it was a brilliant adaptation and hopefully it will introduce more people to pTerry's works. I now wonder which one they'll do next. Having seen a glimpse of The Watch, especially Angua, in this one, maybe they'll do Guards, Guards?

Loved both the book and the two part series. There was much in the movies that I missed but taking into account the constraints of trying to visually represent what was in the book means some bits have to be left out or the movies will be just too long. I really missed Groat's natural remedies (and exploding socks), the cat and B. S. Johnson's sorting machine but to include all this would have required a three, or four, part series.
Overall I think the movie adaptation was quite good, one of the best I've seen from a book I have read. Most movie adaptations I have seen have been disappointing, this wasn't.

Going Postal was on Sky 2 last night, and not having seen it before, I thought it was brilliant! The Colour of Magic was on Sky 1 a few days ago, and I'm afraid I was rather disappointed by that, but Going Postal has made up for it!

I watched this the other night. Both parts in one sitting. I haven't read the book (yet) but I really enjoyed it. I expect a lot of the humour from the book was lost as it is usually word play in descriptive text and not in the actual dialogue.

I thought it was very well done though, and looked great.

I hadn't heard about this adaptation, so I'm delighted to find this thread. Going Postal is one of my very favorite Pratchett novels. I'll look for the DVD!