Any Anime Recommendations?

Having a look back at this, I'm doing quite poorly! I've only finished one series that was on my list of things to find (Death Note), though I'm near the end of another (Gungrave) and have watched the first episode of a third (Gurren Lagann).

I still need to find quite a few series, too! Now I'm back in Durham with a good internet connection, I can get back on it. :)

I'm going to throw down a few of the Anime I have enjoyed and highly recommend. Some of them are repeats of others and even in your list, but they deserve repeating. This is going to be a long list and some of it will expose how long I've been watching anime.

Paranoia Agent

Eureka Seven - My favourite Anime of all time. The movie, "Pocket Full of Rainbows" is weird to say the least.

Vampire Hunter: D - Bloodlust (the original is not so good)

GiTSAC
- Ghost in the Shell - Stand-Alone Complex

Samurai Champloo

Black Magic M66 - Classic

Appleseed
- All films (watch the original in subbed JP only)

Robot Carnival - My mom and I watched this collection of shorts when I was younger; it's one of my best memories - I especially like "Nightmare".

Akira

Howl's Moving Castle (duh)

Princess Mononoke (again)

5 Centimeters per Second

Escaflowne

Metropolis

Cowboy Bebop + Movie

Pumpkin Scissors

Yoma: Land of the Dead

Ninja Scroll
(not the series so much)

Blue Gender

FLCL

Neon Genesis Evangelion
(only if you like a psychology-based story with tons of religion). Oddly, it is partially a tribute to "Childhood's End" by Arthur C. Clark.

Robotech - The opening theme still gets stuck in my head sometimes...

"Beyond" from the Animatrix - Rest of the collection is pretty bad, especially the "Second Renaissance".

The Big-O - I watched Adult-Swim exclusively to see what would happen on this show circa 2001~.

Trigun

Series - Generally I like it when things get tied up in a nice package by say the 60th episode or so... however, some series Anime are fun to watch regardless, even if the overall plot-line becomes tiring.

Bleach

Naruto

Souleater

Busuou Renkin

Dragonball

Notes

__

Yokko Kanno is an awesome composer/arranger. Hayao Miyazaki is an awesome director. Kenichi Yoshida is an awesome character designer.

That is all...

Some of my favorite anime.

Project A-Ko: Uncivil Wars

Bubblegum Crisis (original)

Speed Racer (original)

Wings of Honneamise

Outlanders

Castle of Cagliostro

Robot Carnival

Galaxy Express 999

I would like to recommend you to watch Naruto Shippuden , it's one of my most favorite anime. I love the storyline and epic stuffs of adventure, action, sci-fi thriller and comedy drama. You can go for it's latest episodes as it is still running

Fairy Tail is hilarious. The plot isn't always super strong, but it's always hilarious!

is superb.

Paranoia Agent is wild and fun.

Bleach and Naruto are great (just skip over the fillers).

Soul Eater was fantastic until the anime started deviating from the manga.

Death Note is one of my favorites.

I figured I would add one more to my list that I have been watching lately.

Overman King Gainer - So far from what I've been watching, this series is a very satirical piece poking fun at other "big robot" anime. The dialogue pays homage to many of the tropes you can see in other mecha anime. Some of it is just plain lewd too - wouldn't be Japanese without it...

Death note is my all time favorite. I would recommend it to anyone. I am suprised that it was brought up so little.

Trigun was fantastic - I really loved that one.

I tend mostly towards the silly ones myself, I like a good laugh! But, off the top of my head I can suggest: -
  • Fruits Basket
  • Tenchi Muyo!
  • Chobits (Sumomo is my favourite character ever!)
  • Those Who Hunt Elves
  • Any of the Ghibli stuff (Howl's Moving Castle is my most watched one of these)
  • Bubblegum Crisis
  • Dominion Tank Police
  • Nadesico Martian Successor (which I own on VHS - how cool is that!?)
Those are just the ones that spring to mind right now, though I'm sure if I thought longer and harder about it there'd be more :D

LittleMissy - I still have Nadesico on VHS, too! (along with Bubblegum Crisis 2040 and Dominion Tank Police) I'll have to convert them all to dvd at some point, but for now I'll keep my old video player.:)

Oops! Poor choice of words on my part.:eek: I meant I'd have to buy the series again on dvd.:eek:

I'm hoping that they've been rereleased in a boxset, to keep the price down.

Nadesico is out as a boxset, got it myself! Dominion Tank Police... depends on which one you want. Both the original and New Dominion Tank Police are out on DVD, with New in a boxset.

Thanks, Waffle.:) I'll have to have a look online for the Nadesico boxset - it should be quite easy to find. I've already got the New DTP series, so I'll be adding the original to my wishlist whenever I can.:)

Oh my god. Watch Death Note. Possibly one of the best things I`ve ever seen. It`s like watching a really interesting chess game.

There are so many good animes I've seen, these would be my most recommended:

#1 - Guilty Crown - The masterpiece of 2012. Most unpredictable story ever, (the ASoIaF of anime, full of big shocks) - characters with real emotions that act like real people. An epic story line with brilliant artwork and masterful soundtrack. Guilty Crown is the anime to watch this year.

#2 - Last Exile - Incredible story, great characters, well thought out world.

#3 - Full Metal Panic / The Second Raid - Entertaining characters, great animation and epic storyline.

#4 - Vision of Escaflowne - Brilliant story, deep characters and world.

#5 - Scrapped Princess - Great story with likeable characters, good artwork.

#6 - Gosick - Lovable characters that you can feel for, deep intriguing story. Good musical score.

Last edited:
Cyber City Oedo 808 is good, especially if you like older stuff.

A good one I've been watching lately is 'Another'
Top-notch animation and awesome plot.