'Artificial Life' Breakthrough Announced by Scientists

Ursa major

Bearly Believable
Staff member
Supporter
Scientists in the US have succeeded in developing the first living cell to be controlled entirely by synthetic DNA.

The researchers constructed a bacterium's "genetic software" and transplanted it into a host cell.

The resulting microbe then looked and behaved like the species "dictated" by the synthetic DNA.

The advance, published in Science, has been hailed as a scientific landmark, but critics say there are dangers posed by synthetic organisms.

Some also suggest that the potential benefits of the technology have been over-stated.

The Grauniad has a short article by Ken MacLeod, the SF writer, on the subject:

See this is why I am generally against most types of genetic engineering.....

They can spout off all this "beneficial" garbage they want. I'm not buying it. Mankind plays god enough as it is.

What a lot of the popular press reports seem to have left out, is that the genome series (over a million code sequences long) was copied from the original bacterium, then replicated sequence for sequence before being re-inserted into a "blank" cell.
It also took many hundreds of attempts, and cost over $40m to do.

So basically, we've developed an insanely expensive way of duplicating an existing bacterium, - hardly comparable to Dr Frankenstein, as one red-top dubbed Dr Craig Venter. It's worth noting as well, that a lot of other distinguished scientists working in the same field have, shall I say, a certain lack of enthusiasm and regard for his work...

But they have done something crucial in one respect, Py: up until now Venter and associates have (I believe) been patenting sections of DNA: now they're putting what may very well turn out to be ownership tags on them.

Yes, I saw that they were tagging them - as well as adding quotations from authors, for some reason (James Joyce? Why not Mary Shelley? :)). At least they'll be identifiable as artificial constructs, which may be useful in the future ( see Asimov's R. Daneel Olivaw stories...:p)

See this is why I am generally against most types of genetic engineering.....

They can spout off all this "beneficial" garbage they want. I'm not buying it. Mankind plays god enough as it is.

There'll be just as much "unbeneficial" garbage spouted as well.

One lie can sway a thousand minds, a thousand lies cannot negate a single truth. (I hope.)

I understand that there's an organic method of brewing what J-WO calls synthipiss.

I believe it's based on the processing of bladderwort.

:rolleyes: