SG-U: 1.17 - Pain

Dr.Jackson

Certified Space Monkey
A few members of the Destiny crew begin experiencing disturbingly realistic hallucinations bringing their personal fears or desires to life. Some worry that the stress of life on board the ship has finally begun to trigger nervous breakdowns.

After isolating those affected Dr. Tamara Johansen believes the hallucinations are related to the last planet the away team visited. But just as she thinks she’s contained those at risk, she discovers the cause of the hallucinations is transferring to other members of the crew. When the hallucinations become life threatening, she and the crew must track down whatever is causing the episodes before someone dies as a result.

Another opener meant to confuse us with a crew member we've seen killed walking about?

Actually, despite not much happening it was a really interesting episode, although at times I felt like I may have been watching an episode of Lost.
I know that it has set up an almighty distrust between Greer and Wray, probably between Greer and Rush as well, although I'm not entirely sure Rush was aware of what was actually going on in that room.
Aside from that it seemed like a self contained episode.

One thing I would point out is that the majority of the people affected had negative experiences, largely reflected in paranoia, or fear. Both Chloe and Lt. Scott had largely positive experiences despite them being driven by guilt.
That just makes the inquisitive part of me want to know more about the bugs, why they target the limbic system and what they feed on - although I suspect we won't see them again as there is probably little left from a narrative point of view that they could add.

I found it filler, actually the first episode that I felt was 90% filler. Unfortunately I was tipped off to the premise so I wasn't surprised by the beginning, I'll have to remember to try not to read blurbs.

This episode did have one thing that I've been waiting for and it was with Chloe's hallucination. This could be an early indication for her character to come to terms with her father's death and most importantly embrace the situation for the opportunity it is. I think the premise of the show has followed a natural progression but I like the idea of more people making the most out of it when they get beyond just surviving. So much so that if the opportunity to gate back to earth presented it self there would be a big population that didn't want to go. Wray could go back to her partner and Scott could go back to be a father but plenty of the others might just want to stay and explore.

I know that it has set up an almighty distrust between Greer and Wray

The one thing I was surprised wasn't mentioned was Wray using it as leverage to disarm the military for day-to-day life aboard Destiny. It's the perfect reason why guns aren't standard issue, from a civilian perspective.

The one thing I was surprised wasn't mentioned was Wray using it as leverage to disarm the military for day-to-day life aboard Destiny. It's the perfect reason why guns aren't standard issue, from a civilian perspective.

I'm hoping that they touch on that when she next has contact with the IOC. Somehow I think the to-and-fro could use up a lot of an episode in itself.

If I were writing the scenario it would most likely be a two-parter. There would be tension on the ship, the meetings via the stones, the military ordered to disarm for day-to-day life and set up an armoury on board. That episode would end with a hostile force getting aboard the ship and cutting off most of the military from the armoury. Part two would see Wray forced to side with the military in order to neutralize the threat and near the end the disarming order is rescinded.

Of course, since we know the season ends with parts 1 & 2 of "Incursion", we might be predicting to the choir...