Lost Season 6

Sorry about the double post, but was anyone else surprised and disappointed by the relatively low numbers for the finale? Sure, I didn't expect it to rival the Cheers or Seinfeld finale, but only 13.5 million? That's it?? For one of the best and most intriguing network dramas of recent times? Inspite of all the hype?

It was only the 55th most watched finale in history. Fifty-fifth?? It got beat by the likes of Mr. Belvedere and JAG?? It barely beat out The King of Queens?? Really???

Well it was a good, emotional finale though not completely satisfying. The alternative life (as I had thought of it) was made to seem a bit pointless, in the details at least. Half of a series wasn't needed to say they met again in limbo/heaven. I thought they would be meeting to somehow save the island, then in the end one of the two lives would takeover. Though it meant they were all happy before going to heaven, the main characters at least. It was done artily but not quite as exciting as it should be with the main island timeline. The smoke man gets punched out.
Probably there was just too many different things to explain at the end satisfactorily though it is clear that the ending was not thought of fully till after season 5 was written. The "incident" didn't create the alternate lives after all, it just made them go through time again?
Still, overall well done considering it wasn't all written before series 1 was aired.

Hmm yeah. So basically a nice ending but forgetting most of the limbo thing and padding out the main story on the island along with some other sci-fi mumbo jumbo could have been better in terms of making most of the story have a point. Maybe some background for Wigmore or Dharma's arrival too.
We see some survived while Hurley and Ben stayed but the focus is on them all together after death which makes the 6 seasons of story less relevant to the end. Other than it is the good people together.

but the focus is on them all together after death which makes the 6 seasons of story less relevant to the end.

It's interesting how viewers' can have different reactions. To me, the idea that they were all together after death, not because they were the good people, but because, as Christian said, the time they spent together on the island was the most important time in each of their lives, is the only thing that made the final season particularly relevant.

That would be why Sayid ended up with Shannon instead of Nadya -- who was no part of his island life. (I don't quite buy that the island would be more important to him than his history with Nadya, but maybe it's because she was associated with things he needed to let go of while Shannon was not.*) But then, why was Penny there with Desmond? That seems like it was just thrown in so that he could have a happy ending, just like the others.

Yet if you look at the Jacob story line, it's full of inconsistencies, too.

It seems like they were trying to decide between two completely different approaches to what the last season would be like, and they never quite made up their minds -- or wanted to eat their cake and have it, too -- and just threw everything together in a mish-mash at the end.

*Anyway, as soon as I knew that Sayid would never be with Nadya in the other time (flash-sideways, limbo, whatever), I was hoping Shannon would turn up and he would have a chance at happiness with her. So when she did turn up at the end, I wasn't inclined to quibble. They kicked Sayid around for 6 seasons, and anything that gives him a happy ending is OK with me.

Yeah, I agree with the whole Nadya/Shannon versus Penny contradiction. If Desmond has Penny in the afterlife (because she's his true love), and Jack has Kate, and Sawyer has Juliet, then Sayid ending up with Shannon just didn't make sense. Clearly, his real love was Nadya. You think the writers just went with Shannon because they couldn't get the woman who played Nadya?

I like how the last scene with Jack on the island harked back to the opening scene in Season 1. And it really made me think that this story is, ultimately, about Jack. I actually thought that in the beginning, too, but over the last couple of seasons it seemed as if Sawyer had taken over Jack's place as the central character (as well as the leader).

And, as Teresa said, what did Juliet's last words mean? I find it weird if they're meaningless. Such random, unexplained events in the first three seasons is understandable, since we know that the writers hadn't really thought out the rest of the story yet, but that was supposedly done before the fourth. So for Juliet to make that statement at the end of the penultimate season, and it doesn't fit..?? Either we're missing something here, or that was a huge blunder from the writers.

Yeah looking at comments on blogs about the last episode I think most people have forgotten about the incident and Juliet's words.
Could it be that the main characters appearing in a different time after the incident had some bearing on them being able to stop Smokey? Not that Julia would know.
Special Walt was forgotten too.

Someone pointed out to me that Julia says "It worked" when she was dead / about to die on the island, and when the spirits of Sawyer and Julia meet at the vending machine she says it again. Seems a token link to me.

Hmmm

Somewhere at the back of my mind in a quiet area where my Britishness of joining queues and not complaining is saying very meekly

"I am quite insulted that apparently a whole part of the final series - the alternative universe caused by exploding the bomb - had no meaning at all."

Seems I was tricked - but that is fun sometimes I supppose!

Nice double meaning ;)
Now, now, don't be like that. Lost was a good show. One of my all-time favourites, in fact.

I know there are a lot of unanswered questions, and a lot things that seemed not to make sense. My frame of mind is this: if we sit and over-analyse everything and nitpick, it'll just ruin everything. Of course they were never going to be able to tie everything together. Everyone should just accept that, and enjoy the show for what it was.

The fact is, in a sea of mediocre television and crappy 'reality' shows (and the vastly overrated 24), Lost stood out as one that was largely well-written, definitely well-acted, and actually provoked thought and discussion. Apart from Dexter, and the frequently repetitive but still enjoyable House, there isn't another drama out there that I give a hoot about.

I, for one, am glad I followed it to The End. And, yes, I will miss Jack, Sawyer and the gang. And the Island.

Don't forget the Island.

I don't know, there seems to be a lot of confusion about the ending (perhaps the way it should be, eh?) and on some sites a bit of nastiness too -

Judderman I think the problem with no mention of Walt (or Michael for that matter) was a more practical one, the characters were meant to have been on the island for less than a year an although the majority of adult actors can get away with not ageing in the six year period of filming, it's a lot harder to rein the rampant growth spurts of a young man - the actor was in another show recently (Saving Grace) and went virtually unrecognised. A quick look on IMDB though claims that he was in episode 16 of Lost this year. I missed that!

I'm still not convinced about the apparent 'official' explanation, I think it works better if they all died in the plane crash! But there is a Lost special on this week (Friday night in the UK I believe) where the producers and creators explain it... we shall have to wait and see.

I know there are a lot of unanswered questions, and a lot things that seemed not to make sense. My frame of mind is this: if we sit and over-analyse everything and nitpick, it'll just ruin everything.

My problem with this is that throughout the run of the show they promised us answers and encouraged picking over and analyzing every little detail. They had a website and interviews and articles where they would drop in tantalizing little clues to start people thinking and speculating, and to make it look like everything tied together perfectly. Then the show is over and they say, "No, that's not how it was," and in the interviews I've seen the producers are rather smug about fooling everyone into thinking that it was that way.

I think they got in over their heads, fed in too many clues, came up against problems they didn't anticipate, realized they were never going to be able to deliver on some of this, and finally decided that was OK. Of course they didn't bother to tell their fans, "It's going to turn out that some of the stuff we've marked as specially significant isn't going to mean a thing, it's not going to all tie together, and so you shoul stopping expecting that it will and just enjoy the show from this point on." That would have killed the buzz and dampened the speculation ... which provided tons of free publicity.

I'm sure that's true, Teresa. They did get in over their heads; they did introduce too many tangents and too many questions, only to realise that there was no way they were going to be able to address all of it. I'm just saying... I don't care.

I don't care that they couldn't answer the questions. I don't care that they left loose ends. I don't care that they were in over their heads. A lot of shows have done a lot worse -- chiefly the fact that they just, plain suck. As for the hype and the smugness of the producers... well, I'm sure that couldn't have been enjoyable. Fortunately, since I live no where close to the eye of the storm, I was spared all of that. No interviews, no tantalising trailers, no empty promises. I suppose that makes it easier for me to accept it.

Perpetual Man,
I don't think there should be too much ambiguity about the end. Jack's Dad (presumably for our benefit) emphasises to him that everything that happened to him on the island was real. So no, I don't think they died when the plane crashed. In fact, that theory was probably the most popular one a few years ago, and gained enough steam on the 'Net that the producers (who, unlike most other creators, actually follow the online chatter among fans) specifically went on record to state that that is not what happened.

P.S. They spent three years on the island, not one.

(and the vastly overrated 24), Lost stood out as one that was largely well-written, definitely well-acted, and actually provoked thought and discussion. Apart from Dexter,
24 is repetitive but the last few episodes were great, so much action and some twists and turns too.
Dexter is awesome, the end of series 4 produced the biggest genuine shock I have ever seen on tv.

As for them dieing on the plane, we see that when Jack woke up from the crash there was a new shoe close by, when he died it was mouldy. There are various things that show time passed.

There has been some speculation elsewhere that the fragments of the plane on the beach at the end were there to show us that the plane Frank and the rest flew off in crashed right after it took off, and they all died.

That didn't seem likely to me, but I wasn't one hundred percent sure and neither was my husband, so we looked back at our recording of that part of the show, and he immediately noticed something I did not: many, many footprints in the sand. So it was the original crash, with the footprints of the survivors.

And thinking about it, Hurley, Jack, and Ben would undoubtedly have noticed something like a plane crash on the island ...

I didn't see the crashed plane on the sand, but I heard about it. Was it 'after credits?' Cos apparently it was just a sort of nostalgia thing, rather than having any meaning. That's what I read anyway.

DA: You were right, they were on the island a lot longer than I initially thought, I forgot about them going home (or some of them and back again) and there was the time travel stuff as well!

Teresa: The plane wreckage at the end was part of what fooled me as well - but ABC made an apology in a press release saying t it was they, not the producers that attached the footage to the end of the show, it was meant to be a period of quiet and reflection, to separate LOST from the news that followed it. How true that is I don't know

Finally Mrs P. found this while looking around on the net, I think it is one of the best summing ups so far and seems to cover all bases!

Idiot's Guide to Lost - E! Online

Aha, it looks like the Man in Black had a name in the script, but they made the silly decision to leave it out.

I actually like that he had no name. Samuel sounds goofy for an evil monster. Sure, calling him The Smoke Monster didn't exactly roll off the tongue, but I think Man in Black is actually kinda cool, and what's even cooler is not having a name at all. Somehow, it seems more menacing to me. Having a name adds a sense of familiarity that, to me, removes some of the element of fear.

The fear of the unknown can be a powerful thing.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Lost 0
TK-421 Lost 13
TK-421 Lost 66
I Lost 5
Carolyn Hill Lost 132