W. H. P. Inteview with S. T. J.

j d worthington

While not strictly related to Lovecraft throughout, most of the interview does deal either with Lovecraft-related subjects, or things not all that far afield... hence posting in HPL's subforum:

YouTube - MrWilum's Channel

Thank you, Wilum! I look forward to those when they come out... and I've now got to get my hands on Against Religion......

Many thanks, J. D. I had a great time with him to-day. At the Italian restaurant he insisted on having minestrone because it was one of Lovecraft's favourite foods! We neglected to speak of many things, but he said, "We'll do it next time," so I think he enjoy'd it and will do more vlogs with me. I loved getting him to sing Happy Birthday to Robert H. Barlow!

Thanks a million for an excellent interview full of interesting information! (My wallet will really hate me next year because of S. T., I'm afraid...)

We neglected to speak of many things, but he said, "We'll do it next time," so I think he enjoy'd it and will do more vlogs with me.

Looking forward to it!

I loved getting him to sing Happy Birthday to Robert H. Barlow!

And Barlow deserved having his birthday celebrated.

P. S. I notice that S. T. just updated his blog as well -- in which he announces that the omnibus volume of Donald Wandrei's two novels Dead Titans, Waken! and Invisible Sun will be out soon from an as yet unnamed small press, maybe late this year or early next year. I'm very excited over this -- I've had that volume on my "To Look Out For" list for more than a decade. :)

P. S. I notice that S. T. just updated his blog as well -- in which he announces that the omnibus volume of Donald Wandrei's two novels Dead Titans, Waken! and Invisible Sun will be out soon from an as yet unnamed small press, maybe late this year or early next year. I'm very excited over this -- I've had that volume on my "To Look Out For" list for more than a decade. :)

Yippeee! Hot damn!.... and ditto on the wallet comment.....:D

I have to say that the book I am really excited about it the two-volume edition of The Horror in the Museum. There has yet to be enough real scholarship aimed at these revisions and Lovecraft's hand in them, that I know of at least. I am hoping that this two-volume edition will, in its Introduction and annotations, detail what is known about Lovecraft's hand in these tales. I am also extremely curious about Lovecraft's handling of the Cthulhu Mythos in such tales as "The Horror in the Museum," "The Electric Executioner" and "The Diary of Alonzo Typer," among others. S. T.'s usual comment regarding "The Horror in the Museum" has been, "I fervently hope that 'The Horror in the Museum' is a conscious parody -- in this case a parody of Lovecraft's own myth-cycle." (H. P. Lovecraft: A Life, page 524) By the time S. T. wrote The Rise and Fall of the Cthulhu Mythos, there is no doubt whatsoever in his mind that the tale is a silly parody that Lovecraft infused with ridiculous Mythos tripe out of boredom. I am simply not convinced. Why would an artist who is always trying to do his very best and write serious fiction want to write parodies of that fiction? And yet one must admit that "The Horror in the Museum" is one of the silliest, most ridiculous stories in the Cthulhu Mythos, and certainly unlike Lovecraft's somber and serious fiction under his own byline.

I am also hoping that, as appendix, the two-volume set will include such things as Zealia Bishop's 1953 memoir, "H. P. Lovecraft: A Pupil's View." The original drafts of some of the tales by their original authors will be included in the edition. I have no clue who the publisher of these volumes will be, if indeed a final "deal" has been made regarding their publication.

I am also extremely curious about Lovecraft's handling of the Cthulhu Mythos in such tales as "The Horror in the Museum," "The Electric Executioner" and "The Diary of Alonzo Typer," among others.

There was an issue of Crypt of Cthulhu, titled Ashes and Others, which brought together the two de Castro originals, as well as Lumley's original for "The Diary of Alonzo Typer" and Hoffmann's "The Lord of Illusion". However, if these are to be included in this proposed volume, then you may want to wait until these are released, rather than tracking down and paying for that issue... which is going, these days, for a hefty price, I believe.

S. T.'s usual comment regarding "The Horror in the Museum" has been, "I fervently hope that 'The Horror in the Museum' is a conscious parody -- in this case a parody of Lovecraft's own myth-cycle." (H. P. Lovecraft: A Life, page 524) By the time S. T. wrote The Rise and Fall of the Cthulhu Mythos, there is no doubt whatsoever in his mind that the tale is a silly parody that Lovecraft infused with ridiculous Mythos tripe out of boredom. I am simply not convinced. Why would an artist who is always trying to do his very best and write serious fiction want to write parodies of that fiction? And yet one must admit that "The Horror in the Museum" is one of the silliest, most ridiculous stories in the Cthulhu Mythos, and certainly unlike Lovecraft's somber and serious fiction under his own byline.

I think that last is the difference, Wilum: This was not under his own byline, and as the other revisions (and some of his letters) would suggest, he felt more leeway in letting his sense of play enter into these productions. He knew that his clients would not object (they might even enjoy it), and the readers of Weird Tales would be almost certain to miss the farcical elements, given the sorts of stories which garnered so much praise in The Eyrie (the letters column of the magazine). So it was often a way of either injecting a little enjoyment and humor into a task which was frequently uncongenial (at best) and absolutely mind-numbing (at worst... as in "The Last Test"). And, by the time he was writing "The Horror in the Museum", if I recall correctly, he had already encountered William Lumley, who firmly believed in the reality of these various "deities", and of HPL, REH, CAS, and co., as their (unwitting) prophets... which may well be a point he was satirizing in the tale itself.

I am also hoping that, as appendix, the two-volume set will include such things as Zealia Bishop's 1953 memoir, "H. P. Lovecraft: A Pupil's View."

It would be nice to see this piece once again easily accessible... as well as any other such items. But, as I am sure you are aware, one must take anything Ms. Bishop says with a rather large amount of salt... about the same as is the case with, say, Muriel Eddy....:rolleyes:

However, I am delighted that such a set is "on the cards", as (despite the serious flaws in many of these tales, even occasionally in the best of them, such as "The Mound") there is enormous room for commentary, criticism, and rich scholarship on this body of Lovecraft's work....

The original drafts of some of the tales by their original authors will be included in the edition.

Alas, very few of those have been preserved. :(

I have no clue who the publisher of these volumes will be, if indeed a final "deal" has been made regarding their publication.

S. T. mentioned a potential publisher for this project a year or two ago, and I can say that we have nothing to worry about if that is indeed the publisher that will handle it eventually. :)

S T. will be driving me down to Portland for the very last H. P. Lovecraft Film Festival, & just before we drive off he's agreed to another video interview! So that will happen sometime on Friday, October 1st. S. T. has just accepted my newest book, Uncommon Places, and hopes to have Hippocampus Press publish it late next year. He is a Lovecraftian writer's dream editor, and I consider this friendship with him one of the miracles of my little life.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
kenpat George R R Martin 0
GOLLUM Book Discussion 3