Looking for similar books

Lioness

For my English project, I must critically analyse two texts. These two texts must be related by: author, themes, setting, or other similarities.

I have my first book. I have analysed it. I am in search of a second.

What are some books similar to The Book Thief, by Markus Zusak?

Themes: Power of words, innocence
Setting: WWII Germany
Other techniques: Intruding narrator, tons of imagery, symbolism

At the moment, I have considered Goodnight Mister Tom by Michelle Magorian. However, while it is a lovely book, and well reputed and all that, the writing style is overly simplistic. I want writing I can sink my teeth into, not get it down as fast as possible to fill me up.

So having said that, the book must be well-written and, preferably, either a classic or a modern classic. Analysis of Harry Potter will not get me a decent grade. I'd also prefer a book that is written for adults rather than children. I love children's books - Goodnight Mister Tom is one - but the language I crave and love is mainly present in adult books. I can't deal with simple wiki in fiction form.

Prose, drama, and film texts are all welcome, but I prefer to not analyse films.

Pre-emptive tanks for any suggestions

UM....how urgent is this Lioness? Can I post by next week?

Maybe others will have posted by then but as you probably know I'm a Huge World Lit. fan and have a fairly extensive private library. As such, I know I can provide something for you but at the moment I'm time poor.

Let me know please.....

UM....how urgent is this Lioness? Can I post by next week?

Maybe others will have posted by then but as you probably know I'm a Huge World Lit. fan and have a fairly extensive private library. As such, I know I can provide something for you but at the moment I'm time poor.

Let me know please.....

Not that urgent. I have until the end of next week to read a quarter of it and write up my first impressions, etc.

You don't have to go to that much effort, though I'm pleasantly surprised. Off-the-top-of-the-head suggestions are good too ^^

You don't have to go to that much effort, though I'm pleasantly surprised. Off-the-top-of-the-head suggestions are good too ^^
I know but it's a specialty/passion of mine, hence my wish to help out...:)

Definitely post next week.

Also have met Zusak and have The Messenger and Book Thief....

I met Zusak too! He was rather brief; I was one in a long long line of fans.

I love The Messenger, but not nearly as much as The Book Thief

Book Thief is his best...

Anyway, I'll post here over the weekend or into next week.

Back