The Seventh Tower - Garth Nix

Mouse

Anybody read these? I just got the first one from Amazon really cheap. It sounds quite good:

The Seventh Tower is a series of six books written by Garth Nix, the result of a joint partnership between Scholastic and LucasFilm. The series follows two children from distinctly different societies in a world blocked from the sun by a magical Veil which leaves the world in complete darkness.

Tal is a Chosen from the Castle, and Milla is an Icecarl from the Ice. Together they discover that an evil, long thought to have vanished, once more threatens their world, slowly and secretly letting its presence be felt. A pact was broken, and a war dormant for two thousand years is rekindling. Danger looms, and it is up to these two children and a small band of unlikely heroes to save their Dark World. (From wiki. The Seventh Tower - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

I loved the Abhorsen books, but I wasn't all that keen on the Mister Monday lot. I've read his book of short stories too 'Across the Wall' which was all right.

I read the first three, and then the last one. It was all my library had :(

But I really enjoyed them. It's been a while, but I remember really liking them. A lot more than the Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday stuff (I think I just got bored of waiting for the rest of the series to come out)

I only read the 'Monday' one of that series and didn't bother with the rest. I'm glad you say they're better than those!

The Seventh Tower is excellent! I've read them all and they are quite good even if you're not in the YA age range.

Cool!

I've bought so many books recently that I actually forgot I got this! Oops.

It is without a doubt a very promising series. Although it seems liek a really kiddy kind of book, if you like things that are real, but not really (if you get what I mean) then you should definately read this book.

Two nations are split by supremacy and distrust.
Magic legions ranked by colours and rites of passage to pass for a talented magician.
Magic in the form of sun, and barbaric warriors living on the ice, killing 20 meter tall beasts for food, warmth and weapons.

You can't go past this. I also advise you to read Garth Nix's other series: The Keys to the Kingdom, and The Old Kingdom (this is one of my favourites).

I keep forgetting about this!! Oops.

Yeah, I've read the Abhorsen books and loved them. I only read Mister Monday of the other series though and didn't like it at all.

The Abhorsen Trilogy is one of my favourite YA series ever, but I didn't get on with the Monday...etc series at all. I read the first 2 books in this Seventh Tower series, but I don't know if I'll continue with the rest, it felt a little too young for me. I might give the 3rd a chance and see how it goes.

Hi. I read part of the series. (Books three and four I believe.) And even as an adult, I really enjoyed them. Thanks for reminding me I need to buy the rest of the series this weekend. I loved the simple versatility of the magic system. It was clearly laid out and easy to grasp. Even with me jumping in at the middle. (Which was a complete accident, I never start in the middle!) I think you'll like it mouse...

I read the first one, and was rather disappointed by that. I was intruiged by the ideas that drove it- the light etc, but when it came to actual plot, I was a bit dissapointed. The way the first chapter is in the future as it were is a bit confusing, I felt.