Some Random Thoughts After AGOT ReRead (Spoilers)

IlliferThePenniless

So a couple of weeks ago I decided to start working my way back through the series (for the fourth time overall, the first since I've started hanging out here). What follows are some random thoughts on the first book. Spoilers for the whole series...

•I've been plowing through a lot of fantasy lately and it's striking come back to this series what a good writer Martin is... Putting aside plotting and character and everything else, his prose is really really good. Markedly better then a most fantasy that's floating around out there.

•I had totally forgotten (or, really, it hadn't occurred to me) how much Jon and Tyrion are tied together at the beginning of the series. Tyrion comforts Jon at Winterfell, they travel to the Wall together, Tyrion gives him more advice. Tyrion designs Bran's saddle as a favor to Jon. Their challenges are tied together thematically ('all dwarves are bastards in their father's eyes'). I don't know if it's really that significant ultimately, but I think I've moved Tyrion pat Bran on my 'dragon's third head list' for the moment.

•With each successive time through this book, I'm less and less sympathetic to Eddard. Littlefinger tells him he wears his armor like 'a suit of armor' and the little **** is totally right about that. It's like Ned is refusing to engage with the world as it actually exists, choosing instead to live in a world of his own creation, where he doesn't have to deal with the likes of Petyr and Varys. Upon reflection, his fate seems completely immutable. His refusale to take Reny up on Baretheon's 100 swords is particularly egregious, it costs the Starks an awful lot.

•On the other hand, Drogo's fate seems more unfair and tragic every time I revisit the series. I think one of my favorite alternate scenarios is the one where Drogo and his army ravage the seven kingdoms... I'm sorry it didn't work out that way.

I've never really been able to decide if Mirri Maz Dur was trying to kill the Khal from the start, or if she makes that decision once he's already at death's door... It's odd to go back to where Dany started, a terrified young girl. She's a long way from the scourge of Slaver's Bay she's become.

I still kind of like my idea that the three treasons Dany will know are things she'll do, not things that will be done to her. I think asking the blood mage to save Drogo clearly qualifies as one of them.

I had forgotten that Dany promised Jorah a valaryian sword 'the likes of which the world has never seen.' I think we all expect him to be back at some point, though I, at least, don't really have a strong expectation of how he's go to return... but I'm leaning towards him getting back into Dany's good graces somehow. I rather think he's going to get a sword (Widow's Wail?)

•I had forgotten how completely infuriating Sansa is in this book. As of ADwD it looks like she might be shaping up into the a player in the game of thrones (though, upon reflection, that's really based solely in her inferring Littlefinger's plan with Lyn Corbray, a slender branch to hang our hopes on to be sure), but she's an obnoxious little prat in this book. BY FAR my least favorite PoV. She pretty much deserves everything bad that happens to her.

•It's much more obvious in retrospect that Theon is bad news then I ever realized my first time through the book. He's introduced kicking the head of the man Eddard's just executed. Between that and the constant smirk (mentioned constantly throughout this book), it should have been obvious to me that sending Theon to bargain with his father was a bad idea on Robb's part. All the indications were there reading back through, I'm pretty shocked that my first time through I was convinced Theon was a pretty good guy.

•I wonder what Robb would have done if he had some reliable indication that Joff was the product of incest. I rather suspect that he'd reluctantly have bent knee to Stannis as the rightful king. The way that council goes before he's crowned King in the North, it's clear that submitting to the Lannisters is out of the question, but his only objection to Renly is that he can't be the rightful King. The prospect of allying with Stannis is never seriously considered. It's sad that he never had the chance to make that choice.

•Old Nan knows thinks that the arrival of the red comet means dragons have returned to the world. Does that mean she's old enough to have seen another comet herald dragon birth before, or is this just some small piece of small folk wisdom that only she remembers?

•Should we add Bran to the list of folks who might know the truth about Jon's parentage? On the night Eddard dies Bran and Rickon dream of meeting Eddard down in the crypt, clearly a sort of green dream, and Bran says his father was about Jon... I wonder if Bran will learn something of his step brothers history as he develops his powers with the Children...

•This is a long shot I suppose but I hadn't noticed before that when Varys comes to visit him down in the black cells Ned asks about sending a letter. He seems to give the idea up when it becomes clear that Varys would read it with no guarantee of actually sending the thing off. It's just slightly possible, however, that Varys might be in possession of a letter Ned wrote short before his death. It seems like the only candidates to receive a missive like that would be Jon ('hey I'm not your dad'), Robb ('don't trust the Lannisters, Stannis is the true king'), or Cat ('I love you. PS Jon's not mine'). I don't think it's terribly likely, but the possibility hadn't occurred to me at all before.

•On a R+L=J note, something I hadn't picked up on before (though I'm sure many of the sharps here had), but twice in AGoT Dany mentions that Rhaegar died on the Trident for the woman he loved. Which, you know, doesn't fit the official version of events at all. I don't think that there's anyway to construe the events leading up to Robert's Rebellion as having had anything whatsoever to do with Elia Martell. Draw your own conclusions, but that's a pretty major flashing red sign that something isn't right about the official version of the story...

That's all I've got for this one, I'll check back in when I finish ACoK.

Haven't got much time to reply as in-depth as I would like, but one thing that left me gobsmacked when re-reading a few early chapters was how King Robert and Ned openly spoke about the Targaryan children and how Jorah Mormont was spying on them - something that completely slipped my mind later on, leaving me to gasp at the fact that Jorah was, surprise surprise, a spy!

Or am I the only one foolish enough to have not noticed? Anyway, it's genius how Martin has been able to hide information in plain sight.

Just thought i'd mention that widows wail is a small sword. smaller than oathkeeper.

Fair point TPA...It just seems like the sword least likely to remain with its current owner. Though a smallish sword might be Arya sized come to think of it. I don't think it's a slam dunk that Dany will fulfill her promise to Jorah anyway...

I just saw your post and I'm too tired to reply right now, but I'll briefly say that I agree with much of what you said, except I think you meant to say that he wore his honor like a suit of armor. :)

Have some time on my hands so...

1) Agreed on the prose. I've also been scouring some other fantasy and finding that it's very much downhill from Martin.

2) I seem to be in the minority of people who struggle to believe that Tyrion is one of the third 'heads', but as I stated somewhere before it's interesting to me that Tyrion mis-remembers Tywin's last words in his ADWD chapter (Tywin's last words were "you are no son of mine.") Makes me wonder...

3) I like your idea that Dany will dish out the three betrayals rather than be the victim of them. By that logic, I'd say her 'purchase' of the Unsullied could very well count as the second.

4) My favourite instance of Sansa's priggishness has to be her talk with Arya, over travelling in the Queen's royal wheelhouse - "I'll go by myself then. It will be ever so much nicer that way. Lady and I will eat the lemon cakes and just have the best time without you." Makes me want to slap her.

5) Yep, I got that with Theon too. Another not-so-subtle hint introduced before the reader has time to find their feet, I think.

6) Bran is certainly in the right company for said revelations about Jon. It all comes down to the elusive Howland Reed...

7) Ned's letter...missed that too. If he did give one to Varys, there's no way he'd explicitly mention anything about Jon.

8) Finally, the R+L=J theory. I think what you've pointed out is the beginning of the trail. There's a romantic spin to the official story that's lacking in the fact that he didn't love Elia. But if it's true and Rhaeger was fighting for love as much for his family, then either everyone remembers their history incorrectly, or Rhaegar was in love with someone else.
I'm not sure that I would've ever looked past the question of who Jon's mother was to the just-as-pertinent question of who his father was, until I came to these threads, but I am convinced of the theory now, as a lot of people here seem to be.

No One-

I used to be in the skeptical camp re: Tyrion as the third head as well, but there is a lot of little stuff floating around that supports the idea. I actually kind of talked myself into it while taking a pro Bran line in an argument with a buddy of mine. I think we can all agree that, at the least Tyrion is going to end up as some kind of dragon trainer.

On the other hand, there'd be a nice symmetry to a Targ (Dany), a Stark (Bran), and a Stark/Targ (Jon)... Though is Boaz's favorite crackpot theory is right, then all bets are off.

I remembered the prophecy about Dany as 'three betrayals' too, but when I went back and looked it up it's actually 'three treasons' which has a very different connotation... and makes it a bit less likely that I'm right. But yeah, the purchase of the unsullied could certainly be the one for gold.

Illifer - re: Tyrion.

Since I posted last, a few details have sprung back to mind, particularly Jaime's dream of his mother as a silent sister. I suspect that could be a huge piece of information, given the theory that Aerys (or maybe even another Targaryan at Aerys' insistance) might have raped Tywin's wife and left her with child. Add to that Tywin's absolute refusal to let Tyrion near running Casterly Rock, his last words and possibly more clues than I'll ever spot and 'Tyrion Targaryan' does seem to be a little more than plausible.

I'm even wondering if Tywin's treatment of Tyrion's first wife was in some way a kind of twisted retribution. We know Tywin is not above that sort of thing.

Also, I'm not so sure that there's such a big difference in 'betrayal' and 'treason' when it comes to Dany. Doesn't it come down to how you look at it? Her entire campaign against Westeros, for example, could be seen as treasonous according to whoever sits the Iron Throne, so it kinda works both ways, though I take your point.

I need closure before I lose my wits and turn into one of those vitriolic 'fans'.:)

Illifer - re: Tyrion.

Since I posted last, a few details have sprung back to mind, particularly Jaime's dream of his mother as a silent sister. I suspect that could be a huge piece of information, given the theory that Aerys (or maybe even another Targaryan at Aerys' insistance) might have raped Tywin's wife and left her with child. Add to that Tywin's absolute refusal to let Tyrion near running Casterly Rock, his last words and possibly more clues than I'll ever spot and 'Tyrion Targaryan' does seem to be a little more than plausible.

I'm even wondering if Tywin's treatment of Tyrion's first wife was in some way a kind of twisted retribution. We know Tywin is not above that sort of thing.

I need closure before I lose my wits and turn into one of those vitriolic 'fans'.:)

Or, for real mind twisting, take that Tyrion is really Tywin's son and Jaime and Cercei are children of Aerys... Jaime's kingslaying, Cersei's wedding and most of other things take a whole knew meaning if that is correct.

Or, for real mind twisting, take that Tyrion is really Tywin's son and Jaime and Cercei are children of Aerys... Jaime's kingslaying, Cersei's wedding and most of other things take a whole knew meaning if that is correct.

Very interesting...it almost sounds like a laudable theory. Almost, but for Tywin's relationship with Jaime. Would Tywin have been so bitter about Jaime joining the Kingsguard and adamant that he inherit Casterly Rock? Then again Jaime and Cersei do follow certain Targaryan traditions...

Screw it - I reject the idea purely for my own sanity.

Very interesting...it almost sounds like a laudable theory. Almost, but for Tywin's relationship with Jaime. Would Tywin have been so bitter about Jaime joining the Kingsguard and adamant that he inherit Casterly Rock? Then again Jaime and Cersei do follow certain Targaryan traditions...

Screw it - I reject the idea purely for my own sanity.

That's the thing: If Tywin didn't know which of his children were truly his, it is very possible that he mistreated the wrong kid :). That's just one of the crackpot theories, though :p.

Bran, (who wanted so much to be a knight), suggests early on that he could still be a knight, if Hodor were his legs.

Sansa tells Ned that she wants to be a queen, just like Queen Cersei. She lies and dissembles a lot right from the get go.

Tyrion has that giant shadow imagery and all the dragon related enthusiasm. At one point, Tyrion talks about his parentage, Tywin is staring at him and suddenly talks about Aerys. Then talks about his mother.

At one point, when Jaime seems to be having some of his change of heart moments on the Trident, he washes himself several times, shaves his head, and thinks he looks a lot less like Cersei. Shortly after that, Brienne saves the day by doing some Errol Flynn moves, and Jaime makes the decision to extend an oar to her instead of bashing her head with it.

Eulalia - just an observation but you seem to have slightly mis-remembered the placing of certain words in the story (as Martin likes to have his characters do and I know I have plenty of times). Or you may just be referring to another instance that I don't recall. So, at the risk of being pedantic and an idiot...

Tyrion's shadow is referred to as "tall as a King" in Jon's early POV (AGOT). For a while that always struck me as odd, because the obvious word would have been giant, but then I remembered how Jon was comparing Robert and Jaime as prospective kings, and I decided that was why he had royalty on the mind.

Curiously though, I recently re-read Tyrion's chapter at the Wall (which, along with Arya's next chapter, I read so slowly that it took the better part of an hour just on those two. Both great chapters with Jon chatting to Tyrion and Ned with Arya - and, of course, the introduction of Syrio). Anyway, in that Tyrion chapter Maester Aemon calls Tyrion a "giant among us", so maybe that's the source of confusion? It is an intriguing, and sweet, moment though. Anyone think Aemon knew about the truth about Tyrion? Or was he, as seems more likely, just referring to Tyrion as a personality?

So, at the risk of being pedantic and an idiot...
Go on, take that risk. It's worth it.

I'm rereading AGOT... and I'm taking notes this time. I've been waiting to finish before posting because I just don't know that I have any solid conclusions. I've got observations and random thoughts...

My beliefs regarding Tyrion stem from Jon's and Aemon's observations. Because of the direwolf's death from a stag; because neither Rickard, Brandon, nor Lyanna ever came back from the south; because Sansa wants to grow up like Cersei; generally because of all the foreshadowing that has proved correct, I believe in Tyraen Targaryen, a King, a Giant.

No problem, No One! I don't mind correction when I'm freewheeling, at all.
You are quite right about the King shadow. It's all points for the same team!:)

Boaz, there is a passage in which Tyrion and Tywin are talking that supports the Tyrion Targ theory very nicely. You can almost see the unspoken and unrevealed thoughts of Tywin recalling that Aerys is Tyrion's father, or else why would he suddenly start talking about Aerys. There is a lot of tension in the conversation about Tyrion's place in the family. Something about Tommen being related to him? (through his mother he could be thinking) Perhaps you have already posted about that.

It all is suggestive that Tyrion will end up saddling dragons, flying a dragon, being a king, a Targ, a *******, and not a kinslayer (to date).

Tyrion also gets into trouble a lot by telling the truth.

In true random fashion, I had also forgotten that Jaime was betrothed to Lysa Tully and one point. Dodged a bullet there.

I had a fairly random thought while re-reading AGOT, so I guess it belongs here. I'll go ahead and assume this has been brought up before, but I can't find mention of it.

So we know Hodor's name is Walder, but why he says "Hodor" is a mystery.

Could it be there's a similarity between Bran and Hodor with regard to childhood trauma (mayhaps also facilitating the warging?). What if "Hodor" was all a young Walder could say to try and explain something he saw or heard that he shouldn't have? If so, what could "Hodor" mean?

I've got squat. Any previous speculation on this?

When Hodor's father visited his mistress, Hodor was always left just outside the entrance...? ;):)

*cough*

Otherwise, I too have nothing.

Is it a word in the Old Tongue, which was spoken by the First Men? It is apparently still spoken by some wildlings and by the giants.

Is it a word in the Old Tongue, which was spoken by the First Men? It is apparently still spoken by some wildlings and by the giants.

I have to say this is an intriguing thought...

Thats all I've got, but very intriguing. No wait! Asha is a wildling and she no doubt heard Hodor saying it. I don't recall a reaction, though now I'm wondering if there are any hints of one.