MAY 2010 Writing Challenge -- Sephiroth wins a decisive victory!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teresa Edgerton

Goblin Princess
Staff member
Supporter
Mr. B says he'll be busy today, but he let Culhwch and me know in advance what the theme would be if he won. Therefore, without further ado:

RULES

Tell a story inspired by the chosen theme, in 75 words or less*
There should be a story, not just description
The title is not part of the word count -- or the story
One entry per person
Poetry is acceptable, but prose preferred

*We'll be counting.

All stories Copyright 2010 by their respective authors, who grant the Chronicles Network the non-exclusive right to publish them here.​

Contest ends at 11:59 pm GMT, May 23
Voting Ends at 11:59 pm GMT, May 31
You do not have to submit a story in order to vote.

The Magnificent Prize:

The Dignified Congratulations/Groveling Admiration of Your Peers
Also the privilege of choosing next month's theme or genre

This month's theme:

ESCAPE

Last edited:
Escape, hmm? Well, let me be the first to try. Time for Morcalia to shine. :rolleyes:

Taken

Zoe awoke with a muffled scream in total darkness. She didn't know where she was. All she knew was, she was bound, gagged, and blindfolded. The blindfold was pulled off her to see her ex-boyfriend grinning down at her. She saw immediately she was in a dark forest clearing.
"Showtime," he said. He reached down for her and cut her ropes. Immediately she delivered a high kick to his chest, racing away into the darkness.​

The Final Freedom

Frag was stymied and starving. No way around the cursed sentinel.
He couldn't disable it and it never slept, but he had to get in, where the ship was, before he could get out of this nightmare. The robot had other ideas, and it would vaporize Frag if he showed himself.
Helplessly hunger-crazed, Frag inevitably attacked, emptying his weapon into impenetrable robot armor. It fired back.
FZZzzZaaaAAaaPsZzzzzzT !..and finally Frag, fried, was free - forever.

THE WRONG ESCAPE

Flames at the door, a ten-storey drop beyond the window. No way out. Might as well drink that antique French brandy at last.

The cork pops. Vapour erupts, coalesces into a moustachioed genie.

‘Your sird and final weesh, mastair?’

A single wish? Escape, but nothing more?

‘No, I’m not your master – I demand a fresh three!’

‘Not ma mastair? Zen I am libéré!’

Out the window he flies.

The door collapses in fire.

Pants.

Last edited:
THE LAST MAD DASH

Vix was running hard; running for her life.

She swerved right and leapt a mossy wall. Three hundred yards across open country and she’d be home. She forced her legs to keep moving and tried to push down the fear as she heard the baying of the dogs, the crack of a rifle and the whine of a bullet overhead.

She’d made it! She’d dropped the hen, but the cubs still had their mother.

To Freedom and Assassination

The light at the end of the tunnel stared at me like the epitome of freedom. I had only one aim and that was to escape. I shot forward like the bullet, when the heat hit my back. The tunnel seemed shrink around me until the light of freedom hit me. I savored every moment of the brightness. Then bang! I hit something soft.
“I had…. al… al-most made it….”

Breaking Free

A crack appeared, right by her feet, and she scrabbled at it frantically. How long had she been here? Time had no meaning in this darkness, and the shell was fast becoming too claustrophobic. Muscles cramping, she kicked at the tiny fissure, hoping for something to give.

It did - she could feel the split reaching under her shoulders. Freedom beckoned.

With one massive shrug, her wings came free, and the world opened up to her.

Labyrinth

Another thread leads to a dead end.

Sometimes this, sometimes subdividing into paths too narrow to traverse.

How long have I been here? Months, certainly, perhaps years. Ariadne must work long hours spinning false hope.

Pause to exchange a few words with my pallid coprisoners. Some faces are missing; surely they must have discovered the exit, proof that one exists.

Who would have believed such a maze could be hidden behind the innocuous term: 'SFFChronicles'?

A Fairy Tale Ending

They said I was grumpy. Well you would have been too if you’d worked for her. She made us do everything. She made us do... things. I was grumpy. I was angry, actually. The others were too stupid to do anything about it. Too scared to try to stop her, to tell her no.

I wanted my freedom back. I had to do something! So I hired the witch. The apple was my idea.

Domain

“You know we've spent more money here than on the other house.”

“We spend more time here.”

“Ok, keep the Eclipse Alarm and lose the escarpment? Damn thing's giving me vertigo.”

“Well you wanted 'natural'.”

“There was plenty natural about those valleys.”

“Yes but not dramatic.”

“Still, a waterfall curtain raiser?”

“It'll be worth it, we walk in, the spray, the crossover...”

“What was wrong with the keystone?”

“Honey please, leave the e-scaping to me.”

By Chance

I have one last chance. Odds are against me. I'm outnumbered. Cornered. Desperate.
They're coming! I'm almost out of time.

Miraculously, a rope! I jump. I grab it. I climb. Don't look down! I hear the beasts scramble for the rope below. Light trickles in through cracks above.

Bump – I'm up. I need to get the lid off this well. This will be difficult...

Gamemaster looks up. Roll!
Dice rolling. A moment's silence.
Success.

(75 words exactly!)

Whether the weather be...

The alarms shrieked as Weatherbee’s chamber filled with crimson flashes. He flew through the labyrinth of corridors toward the Queen’s residence.

“You have to get the Queen to safety!”

The royal guards advanced. Weatherbee stumbled, scattering his papers as the doors to the Queen’s chambers slid aside.

“Is this an extinction event?”

Eyes turned to Weatherbee, “Yes, Majesty. Go to ground. You can start again.”

She’s escaped.

The tornado ripped the hive, and Weatherbee, apart.

The Unveiling

Her breasts heaving – with apprehension more than fatigue – Natalie threw open the window, thankful that she was on the ground floor. Clambering over, her heart skipped as she heard pounding on the locked door behind.

She kicked off her heels and jumped onto the grass. Lifting the hem of her cumbersome dress, she ran towards the taxicabs across the street, feeling slightly annoyed at the stares from passersby.

What? Never seen a runaway bride before?

A HOPEFUL CASE?

My siblings: demons born of Night.
Bound in the darkness, filled with strife,
they circumduct ‘twixt walls so tight that none might percolate without.

A maiden with long red-gold hair,
with silver gown and aspect fair,
lifts the lid of our eldritch snare, and into Gaea’s realm they spout.

Anesidora! By thy wiles,
thou hast bestowed on Man the trials
of Sickness, Death, and other Ills—wilt thou return and let Hope out?

Bang on 75 words. I think I'll call this: The Temptress

Sweat beaded his brow, he could feel himself shaking visibly and the sick feeling in his stomach just wouldn't go away. Eyes bore holes into his back as he crawled under desks, around chairs and through legs. This was embarrassing… why had he agreed to it? He was IT Support, dammit, not some common cleaner! But the way she had looked at him, that trembling lip… bah!

Where had that blasted “Esc” key got to?

Dives
Exquisite excruciation is common here. PAIN!

Searing steam is indescribably blistering, but preferable to everything else. I remain stationary. PAIN!

My confusing conundrum is worse than the pain. I had every advantage, but this is my end. PAIN!

Now I am forever doomed without an appealing alternative. PAIN!

Unrelenting pulsing pressure threatens to undo me. “Hold it together.” PAIN!

I had hoped to obtain the essential escape for my brothers. But alas. PAIN!

-----------------------

(Wheels within wheels: PM me if you find what's hidden.)

The Only Escape

It was the tallest tower in her father’s castle. Her feet dangled over the edge, the ground far beneath her. An icy wind curled fingers around her legs, pulled at her dress, played with her hair.

Encouraged her.

Strange. Up here, she’d almost found peace. Their selfish, petulant, hurtful voices were mere whispers in her head. That wouldn’t last; soon, they’d call for her.

No. No more.

She slipped off the edge, and freed herself.

Home Again

High gates in even higher walls.

Most of his life in this place. No mistakes now.

He approaches slowly.

The guard sees him, smiles, opens a gate. “Be good now.”

The horizon! So much sky! So much space!

He stumbles, dizzy. No mistakes now.

He lashes out, striking, kicking.

They are on him. Truncheons flying. He’s down. They drag him back from the gate. It slams shut.

He relaxes. That had been a close shave.

SEDUCTION

She waited, trembling, in her cell.
Tomorrow the inquisition.
She knew his stealthy step; he had tempted her before.
His eyes caressed her.
"My bed is a soft one. My touch ... can be gentle."
But it was deadly sin.
"Tomorrow the pain, the burning iron."
In fear and tremulous desire, she yielded.
But he had lied.
His skin scorched her. His kisses tasted of blood.
They stopped her breath. They stopped her heart. Escape.

Earthbound Misfit

Endlessly persecuted for differences beyond her control, the long, futile chase had inevitably lead here, to the escarpment. They knew her options were limited to death. To falling or being torn apart.

How little they understood, after all this time.

The pursuit closed in. Turning towards the sun, she smiled, spread her arms and jumped.

They watched her fall with grim satisfaction.

Suddenly, spiralling on gloriously outstretched wings, she sped off into the sunset. Free.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.