Tips on books...

nadref

Hey everyone, first of all i will say sorry if this is in the wrong place, and if it is, please move it to where it should be :).

Ok, so ive read all of Ian M Banks scifi books in less the 2 months and im feeling a little empty now ;), and now i would like some tips on similiar books from other authors. What im looking for is books that are more like Consider Phlebas then the others, meaning that there should be some big wars going on.
I would appreciate any response to this, thanks.

You'll hear Peter F. Hamilton and Alastair Reynolds a lot on this thread by asking a question like that. I'd recommend that you check them out. Soon :)

Pandora's Star by Peter F Hamilton was a page turner for me (it's the first part of a two part story). He puts in lots more words (it's over 1000 long) than Iain though but there are plenty of space battles and excellent aliens in it.
to be honest I've found very few writers to match Iain's quality of space opera. There are excellent sci fi authors out there but not many write about big wars in space..

Mike Cobley's Humanity's Fire trilogy is worth a go. Seeds of Earth came out last year, The Orphaned worlds is out in a week or so, and the third book should be late thie year or early next.

Oh, and there's Gary Gibson's Shoal trilogy as well - Stealing Light and Nova War are currently available, and Empire of Light is due to be published in September.

I've started reading Samuel R Delaney's Babel 17 and I think its influence on Iain must have been pretty strong. I've only read the first chapter or so and already I see a lot of Against a Dark Background and Consider Phlebas in it- a bunch of oddballs on a fantastic, fly-yer-spaceship mission.

you got to check out the Destiny Children series by Stephen Baxter. Brilliant galaxy spanning war in Exultant.