Books Similar to Farseer/Tawny Man Series?

Portside

I was wondering if anyone knew of any other books that are similar to Robin Hobb's series.

One of the things that I liked the best was the political intrigue/espionage aspect and how there was always a pressing need to unravel the motivations behind various actions.

I jumped to these series after reading Brent Weekes' Night Angel trilogy and originally was looking for another book based around an assassin and what I ended up finding about both series is that I really enjoyed the character development.

If anyone can help me with suggestions it would be much appreciated because I find myself once again without any new books to read. I will probably pick up the Liveship Traders series in the meantime.

Try Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny, start with the Corwin Cycle.

The five books in that series are available in one volume.

Great books.

I'd also like to hear some suggestions, not even the mighty Song of Ice and Fire has touched me like the farseer, infact interms of emotional envolvement and character building Hobb blows Martin out the water, imo ofcourse :>

If you like the whole Assassin/Rogue idea you should try The Lies of Locke Lamora, you wont feel for the characters as you did in farseer but in terms intrigue/espionage its great. A styleish, clever and fast paced book.

River God by Wilbur Smith is also a good read, much to my suprise, didnt think id like something based in an ancient egypt setting but yeah, really suprised me.

Aside from these two no other books that I have read have come close to Hobb, and all of them have been highly recomended across the net, all seem to have too much going on, too many characters, I prefer first person POV... maybe try Mordants Need or the Chronnicles of Thomas Covenant, both really good, both by Stephen Donaldson.

Just orderd Tigana, should be here in a few days so hopefully this is as good as iv been told.

I'm also a really big Hobb fan.

I'd second The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch - a very entertaining read. I would also recommend The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss, one of my favourite fantasy reads ever.

I really enjoyed Tigana, Guy Gavriel Kay is a genius.

I'm also a huge Robin Hobb fan...

But I couldn't get past the first 20 odd pages of Locke Lamora.

Try "The Curse of Chalion" by Lois McMaster Bujold - I just read and absolutely loved it!

From Amazon:

"In The Curse of Chalion Lois McMaster Bujold abandons her usual military space-opera for good reason; this is an emotionally powerful, inventively plotted novel which needs to be fantasy to work. Cazaril, betrayed by his enemies into a crippling two years in the galleys, returns to court a physical and emotional wreck: appointed secretary-tutor to the young princess Iselle, he finds himself in direct opposition to his powerful betrayers. His preparedness to make the ultimate sacrifice and save Iselle from an unwanted marriage to one of them by a death spell that will kill him also has unforeseen results; he learns the hard way that the gods have plans for him, ingenious and mischievous plans. Bujold does charm very well--we share Cazaril's sheer joy at mentoring the bright snippy Iselle--and she is also good at physical and emotional pain--Cazaril's sense of himself as broken and worn-out is entirely convincing. This is also a fantasy which includes some inventive thinking about the nature of gods and the consequences of curses; there is a nasty-minded logic to almost everything that happens here."