A New Writing Resource -- Me!!

Teresa Edgerton

Goblin Princess
Staff member
Supporter
As many of you know, I've been giving out a tremendous amount of free writing advice on these boards over the last five years. I will naturally continue to do so -- the SFF community has a long tradition of "paying forward" -- but for those of you who would like more detailed, extensive, and in depth criticism of your work, I am now offering my professional services as a freelance editor and consultant.

For my writing credentials, you can find my bibliography here:

http://www.sffchronicles.co.uk/forum/9972-bibliography-teresa-edgerton-madeline-howard.html

For my other credentials and more about the services I am offering, you can go here:

http://www.sffchronicles.co.uk/foru...ng-service-open-for-business.html#post1382001

A wonderful idea, Teresa. A valuable resource you have been to all of us newbies. May I offer my warmest wishes on a lucrative additional career.

Well done Teresa.

Judging first hand on the quality of your own literary output and obvious experience within the industry, I'm sure that you will prove to be a valuable asset to any budding new writer.

Very welcomed news. Well done.

About the rates: are they going to be in same level as what JJ is asking for his line-editing services (electronic document, 100 - 130k words for £500 / $720)?

No. I'm just starting out and trying to build a client base, so my fees will be less. For my rates and services, send me a PM. I don't think it would be appropriate for me to advertise them right here.

Just interested. I won't have money for anyone's editing services for long time. And I don't understand business ideology where you have to start with rock-bottom prices thinking you're new, when in fact, you're an old hand and the people should treat you as one. I wouldn't be surprised if you could use your contacts to do some agenting, for those clients who you find could benefit from such services.

I wouldn't be surprised if you could use your contacts to do some agenting, for those clients who you find could benefit from such services.

Perhaps, but I wouldn't be interested in doing that. One reason among many is that I would be handicapped by living on the wrong side of the North American Continent.

And I don't understand business ideology where you have to start with rock-bottom prices thinking you're new, when in fact, you're an old hand and the people should treat you as one.

Once I have some glowing endorsements I will no doubt ask for more money. But the services I offer don't involve rewriting somebody's book sentence by sentence, so I wouldn't be asking the thousands of dollars some editors (rightfully) charge to do that.

I'm offering a comprehensive evaluation of a story, novel, or portion of a novel -- characters, plot, style-- suggesting improvements, pointing out bad habits where necessary and explaining how to avoid them. But I won't be entirely focussed on mistakes. I will also look for the story's strong points and the writer's best skills, so that he or she knows what to build on.

I am also open to helping writers with submission packages (synopsis and first three chapters), or the synopsis alone. You know my methods there, ctg.

I already do this, or used to, back when SciFi wasn't so popular - but I haven't in the online era. People need this, especially to get off the ground. And you shouldn't have to do it for free endlessly, so very best luck to you.

Yes, that's how I felt when I first saw my name there. Now I just grumble because they haven't listed all of my short fiction.

I'd like to echo J-WO's comments on the associated thread.

We all knew Teresa offered great advice in the general Aspiring Writers threads and in Critiques in particular, but to get individual in-depth help takes it to another realm altogether. Thoughtful, insightful comments backed up with real experience and know-how -- and as J-WO says, real assistance in getting over problems you might have (eventually) seen for yourself, but which would have seemed impassable. As importantly, she highlights things you are doing right and gives encouragement.

So, if you're havering about whether or not to go for it -- GO FOR IT.