Fantasy Series With Great Plot Twists

Heather Myst

Can anyone suggest a fantasy series with a very good and twisting plot me? The darker the better. My all time favorite has been George Martin's Song of Ice and Fire but I also have enjoyed David Coe's Winds of the Forelands series, Jennifer Fallon Second Sons series, and especially Fiona McIntosh's Quickening and Valisar series. Thanks.

You could try Joe Abercrombie's First Law trilogy (The Blade Itself, Before They Are Hanged and The Last Argument of Kings).

The plot certainly twists and turns, and it's quite dark, both in the sense that one of the main characters, Glokta, is a torturor who gets to ply his trade and the way the overall plot develops. (And the scenes where Glokta - a wonderful creation in shades of grey - is the POV character are often quite humourous in their own way.)

By the way, I mostly read SF, so what I look for in a fantasy novel may not entirely match someone who reads mostly fantasy.

Thanks Ursa major. I have read all of Abercrombie's books and I loved them. I think he is the closest to Martin out there and I love his dark and gritty style with his use of grey characters ala Martin.

Long time since I read it but Tad Williams Memory, Sorrow and Thorn might be worth a look. From memory there were plenty of plot twists and it was a good series.

It's hard to go past Steven Erikson's Malazan series for consistently untelgraphed plot twists and revelations.

Have you read any of Russell Kirkpatricks books? There's certainly lots of twists in his books!
Starting with the trrilogy Fire of Heaven. His next trilogy is Husk.

His characters are unforgettable, the story line is very good although a little on the dark side of Fantasy.

Thank you all for the suggestions. I have read the Malazan and Tad Williams books but Russell Kirkpatrick is new to me. I really enjoy dark fantasy so I am going to see what I can find out about Fire of Heaven. :)

Thanks Ursa major. I have read all of Abercrombie's books and I loved them. I think he is the closest to Martin out there and I love his dark and gritty style with his use of grey characters ala Martin.
Sorry for suggesting something you've already read.

But at least it did fit the bill. :)

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did Heather! Mine is on my to re-read pile already! :)

Sorry for suggesting something you've already read.

But at least it did fit the bill. :)

Thanks Ursa major. It did fit the bill and it is one of my favorites so you know exactly what I am looking for. Any other suggestions?