Are there any good scifi horror books out there?

Okay, I'll need some help here. I read a book way back in the day, late 60's to 70's where a disease infects people who literally scream themselves to death. I remember the cover of some poor soul having a good scream. The infected may have been called Screamers, not sure about that.

Yes, I know I'm in the wrong thread, but if someone knows the book title, it would fit in with sci fi horror. A pretty good yarn as I remember.

REF.Baylor.
Now that is a real goldie oldie, a remember buying that plus it's sequel "Hauser's Memory" in an Aberystwyth second book shop a long time ago!
Have got the novelization of the first three Alien films in an omnibus edtion, all fairly well written!

You could say that van Vogt's rather good Voyage of the Space Beagle is sf horror. Its rather reminiscent of Alien (which of course was novelised by Alan Dean Foster)

Specifically, the Black Destroyer chapter of Van Vogt's novel . Also, the Clark Ashton Smith story The Vaults of YoH-Vombus was another story that was the literary inspiration for Alien

Another really good sci fi Horror story from Clark Ashton Smith's is The Seed from the Sepulchre

REF.Baylor.
Now that is a real goldie oldie, a remember buying that plus it's sequel "Hauser's Memory" in an Aberystwyth second book shop a long time ago!
Have got the novelization of the first three Alien films in an omnibus edtion, all fairly well written!

They did make a Donovan's Brain film in 1953 and, it was decent film but didn't quite live up to book.

Death Troopers and Red Harvest by Joe Schreiber was a Star Wars take on the Zombie genre. I haven't read them, but I believe that they were pretty well regarded by fans.

I saw the Nightflyers TV series. It wasn't great, but it was good enough for me that i wouldn't mind reading the book.
I adored Robert McCammon's Swann Song so i'll check out the Border too.

Pretty good writer Robert McCammon, good book of short stories called "The Blue World"!

Not exactly SCI-FI Horror, though, right? House on the Borderland is at least arguably s.f., or proto-s.f.

The Hungry Moon by Ramsey Campbell.

Last edited:
If you like really strong (disgusting and perverse) hardcore horror, at least one of Edward Lee's early novels deals with Sci-fi themes. Though a little abstractly - his (I think first) novel "Coven".
Plus there are a few short stories that live under the sci-fi umbrella - "Operator B", "Secret Service" (technically, that one's a bit of a stretch but again, in an abstract way...).

As I've probably mentioned before, and speaking of short stories, I think someone could put up a persuasive argument that about 1/3 of the first volume of The Science Fiction Hall of Fame is s.f./horror: "Microcosmic God", "Nightfall", "Mimsy were the Borogoves", "The Little Black Bag", "Born of Man and Woman", "The Nine Billion Names of God", "It's a Good Life", "The Cold Equations", "Fondly Fahrenheit" all could be argued as sf/horror, or very nearly so.

There are two stories that i'd like to read this year that i think fall into the Science Fiction Horror category.

Who Goes There by John Campbell. John Carpenter's The Thing is one of my all time favourite films. I'd like to read this book and also watch the film. I'm led to believe that it is still quite a good movie.

I also want to read "I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream" by Harlan Ellison.

There are two stories that i'd like to read this year that i think fall into the Science Fiction Horror category.

Who Goes There by John Campbell. John Carpenter's The Thing is one of my all time favourite films. I'd like to read this book and also watch the film. I'm led to believe that it is still quite a good movie.
Recently they published Frozen Hell by John W Campbell which the the novel length version of Who Goes There . If you can find I highly recommend the Novelization of John Carpenter's Thing which was done by Allan Dean Foster

I also want to read "I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream" by Harlan Ellison.
Ive read this story, it's quite nasty, One of Ellison's best stories and there is computer game version of the story which is well regarded.