Dan Abnett anybody?

Rodders

|-O-| (-O-) |-O-|
Supporter
I thought that i'd start a post on this author, Other than Werhead's review of his Triumff and Gaunt's Ghost novels, no one seems to have anything to say about him. He is pretty prolific (see his Wiki entry below), and he has sold over a million books, yet no onw seems to have heard of him. I have read 15 of his books and i have to say that i have enjoyed every single one. No exceptions.

Dan Abnett - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I particularly feel that Dan's writings excell with character writing.

Anyone got any comment?

Have to confess that I've never read any of Dan's work, though I do know that he was the best selling SF author in the UK last year.

The BSFA have recently set up a live chat and discussion with Dan (open to all) this August in London... in the upstairs room of a pub, where all such things should be held! :)

I've had his work recommended from multiple people - but every time I look I think "eww warhammer tie-in" and have flashbacks to terrible, terrible D&D novels from TSR/WoTC.

I'll pick one up in the next order and give him a go...

I'd be interested to know what you guys think.

Doesnt he write Warhammer novels ? Those kind of books are like Star Wars ones you dont know who writes them no matter often you see the books on the shelfs. They sell themselves.

Not that i'm dissing Abnett i'm a big fan of his Nova comics series he writes for Marvel. Cosmic comic series about a Galactic Cop hero if you dont know your marvel.

DnA is a famous comics writer name for the acclaimed duo of Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning.

He's pretty well known for his Warhammer 40K Novels, but don't let that put you off. Try one and see how you like it. As i said before, great characterisation and he really knows how to write a good fight. I've just finished Titanicus and think that's a pretty good place to start.

He's pretty well known for his Warhammer 40K Novels, but don't let that put you off. Try one and see how you like it. As i said before, great characterisation and he really knows how to write a good fight. I've just finished Titanicus and think that's a pretty good place to start.

I have seen many readers who i respect read Warhamme 40 K,like them. I just didnt know there were novels.

I only knew the name before cause of my brother and his roleplaying group playing tabletop wargame in their teens. My only picture of Warhammer is the boxes for the game.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miniature_wargaming

I just finished Triumff. It was OK, but nothing compared to his other stuff IMO. I think that it was too much like Terry Pratchett which sort of put me off.

Doesnt he write Warhammer novels ? Those kind of books are like Star Wars ones you dont know who writes them no matter often you see the books on the shelfs. They sell themselves.

Not quite true. Dan Abnett outsells almost all of the other Black Library authors combined, and many of his readers won't touch other Warhammer books on the somewhat dubious grounds that they are not written by Abnett (although Sandy Mitchell and Graham McNeill are supposed to be very good as well). He has his own legions of fans separate to Warhammer ones, which creates interesting and somewhat tedious arguments (some old-school WH fans also don't like him as the populariser of Warhammer and put down Abnett's work) online.

The analogy in this case would be with RA Salvatore, who has his own rabid fanbase, many of whom have zero interest in other Forgotten Realms fiction. The difference is that Abnett's writing doesn't give the impression that he's lost the will to live and his new books remain fresh and exciting, a description that no Salvatore book has lived up to for about 16 years ;)

I've had his work recommended from multiple people - but every time I look I think "eww warhammer tie-in" and have flashbacks to terrible, terrible D&D novels from TSR/WoTC.

There is a big difference. The D&D novels are truly shared settings, with multiple books by multiple authors happening in the same cities, same countries and same regions, sometimes with authors borrowing other writers' characters.

Warhammer 40,000 is different, in that it spans the whole galaxy and many thousands of years (the Horus Heresy sub-series takes place about 10,000 years before the Gaunt's Ghosts series, for example, and both exist independently of the other). The Gaunt's Ghosts series, which IIRC takes place several centuries prior to the 'present' of the WH40K game setting, take place in a self-contained corner of the greater setting, the 'Abnettverse', consisting of a vast sector of space called the Sabbat Worlds. The Imperium of Man has launched a massive crusade to liberate these worlds from various alien and Chaos-touched forces holding them, and this crusade is a self-sufficient fleet consisting of thousands of gigantic ships and billions of soldiers. There is little to no contact, or even reference, with the wider WH40K universe beyond the Sabbat Worlds. The characters, ships, armed forces and planets used in Abnett's fiction are fully of his devising.

Or to put it another way, Abnett's characters say their prayers to the Emperor and use Imperium standard-issue weapons and vehicles, but beyond that have little to no contact with the rest of the 40K universe, and can be read in total independence.

The omnibus edition of the 1st 3 books arrived last weekend. Its pretty high up on my "next sci-fi" list, although Terminal World may edge in front of it.

I've read quite a few Warhammer novels (the sci-fi not fantasy ones) and yes Abnett is by far the best writer in the group. Some others are reasonable, whereas some are awful - he outclasses them all.

I believe he also writes for Screenplays for Dr Who (or Torchwood) but I know he is the screenwriter for the upcoming Warhammer film...

Ultramarines - A Warhammer 40,000 Movie | Ultramarines The Movie

It's computer animated, but the voice cast looks very good!

I've not read any of his Warhammer stuff but I remember him writing Death's Head II with Andy Lanning for Marvel UK back in the early 90s which was probably the best things the UK outfit produced in that time period.

I've never read any of his WH40K stuff as I'm not a big fan on war fiction. It seems a bit too Boy's Own for my liking from what I read in the Codexes and White Dwarf back in the day.

Is Abnett's work any better than this, or is it really much the same kind of thing?

There are two sides to his work. It is very much blood and guts war, but as it's been mentioned before, it does come across as pretty realistic. Also, he really creats great characters that you care about.

I just picked up Dan Abnett's latest Gaunts Ghost omnibus "The Lost". Definately the next book that i read and i'll keep you informed. :)

Having read the first two Gaunt's Ghosts books I'm going to have to say I'm really not impressed at all - the writing is ok, but there is a distinct lack of plot amongst the, eventually rather repetative, action sequences.

I might give the 3rd one a change but only becuase its in the Omnibus edition I already have.