Survivors 1.01

UltraCulture

wun wabbit
Now here's a drama series to make grim winter nights go with a swing - a disturbing vision of a post-apocalyptic Britain whose population has been decimated by a killer flu-type plague. But fear not, because plucky Julie (Bonekickers) Graham is here to save us. She's Abby, a mum on a mission who, having survived the virus, takes to the deserted streets to find her son. Some viewers might remember Terry Nation's 1975 series of the same name and, though everyone involved in the production is at pains to point out it's not a remake or even a follow-up, there is no escaping the striking similarities. Still, Survivors 2008 stands up very well in its own right. This first 90-minute episode (part two is on Tuesday) is absorbing, painting a convincing portrait of a society in meltdown, and tension builds nicely. The characters inevitably have the whiff of stereotype, but the performances are good, on the whole, with Max Beesley in particular impressive as a murderous escaped prisoner who joins the survivors as they face a new world. And you'll probably have fun guessing who will get off with whom, if the revealing trailers haven't already given the game away.

Starts Sunday BB1 9pm

Watching it?

Re: Survivors-BBC.

I haven't seen this but I do have the original series on DVD. It's still entertaining after all these years (apart from the third year where it seemed to lose its momentum a tad).

I'm not a big fan of remakes (no matter what they may say, that is, in essence, what it is) but I might give it a peek.

How interesting, I'm definitely going to watch this and I hope BBC has learned their lesson on what they can do differently this time around. Premises looks very promising for a hit series. Hopefully this series doesn't have Jericho's fate, but become something much better then that.

It was brilliant even thought they tried to say that's it's not a remake. LOL. The first episode very well didn't stand on its own and I believe it was even better then the one from the original series. All the characters seem to be very well picked and I didn't feel a moment that the acting was out from the picture. However, I did see me in the shoes of the black geezer driving the Jeep, as I would have done the same.

Definitely worth to watch. Thank you BBC for making this. It's good. Five stars.

I enjoyed it, well set and well acted.

There is something inherently fascinating about the disease survivor. I think it's wondering what you would do. Where would you go, how would you do it, do you think you'd have the strength to carry on?

I hope it doesn't collapse into a soap opera.

Well, ten minutes in I was ready to throttle Julie Graham's character but she improved a bit. Not a total loss.

I enjoyed it until the last couple of minutes...

spoiler..... Highlight to see...

Nasty men in white coveralls did it.

I missed the end because I kept flicking back to watch Desperate Housewives

I'm just hoping they don't go down the "god is punishing us for being too smart" road. it gets rather tiresome

If you missed it, then you can find it on BBC iPlayer at BBC iPlayer - Survivors: Episode 1 The next episode is on Tuesday. The one thing that's bugging me is that what happened to that Minister of Health (?). Is she with the white coated people in that underground laboratory facility, waiting for the topside to sort itself out or what?

Original Air Date—23 November 2008

A mysterious virus kills most of the world. In England Abby Grant finds herself immune but her husband dead. She determines to set out and find her son Peter, last known holidaying in the Peak District,and on the motorway meets the practical Greg Preston. Tom Price, a convict serving life for murder, kills the only other prison survivor, a warder,and escapes, meeting Anya, a hospital doctor who has seen friends and patients alike die. Al, a wealthy young man, also survives, 'adopting' Najid, an eleven year old orphan. The group ultimately come together whilst Samantha Willis, the only government minister to survive, forms a small caucus in a germ-free complex, killing anyone who may be infected to tries to get in but having to admit the thuggish Dexter as her right hand man.