Survivors 2.06

Dave

Non Bio
Staff member
After so long, this was information overload on the Virus. We now know that it IS a form of influenza; the mutated form IS being spread by birds; it started in China, long before anyone knew about it; it is man-made, a botched experiment into a broad-spectrum anti-virus; and that Abbey and Peter have antibodies to the 'H' part of the H2N5 virus, which is why they are special.

We also now know much more about Landry and the 'elite' paradise survivors. But where are they? We had a discussion in my house - has to be an island, has to be within the re-fuelling distance of that aeroplane - Isle of Man, Harris, Lewis, Guernsey, Jersey?? Hardly island 'paradises'! Last time I was in Jersey in rained for two weeks solid!

More 'best laid plans' fell apart. I still like the idea that they are human. However, Abbey just isn't angry enough though. When she had the gun on Whitaker but didn't want to kill him, why didn't shoot him in the foot? Or shoot him in the kneecaps? Why didn't Tom? I'm sure he would have talked then!

And the ending - we were all going "Where's Tom, Where's Tom?" "He's on the plane, he's on the plane!!"

This was a great series. I can't wait for some more!

After so long, this was information overload on the Virus. We now know that it IS a form of influenza; the mutated form IS being spread by birds; it started in China, long before anyone knew about it; it is man-made, a botched experiment into a broad-spectrum anti-virus; and that Abbey and Peter have antibodies to the 'H' part of the H2N5 virus, which is why they are special.

No Dave. It didn't start in China. Watch the video Peter is checking again, and you will see a different location. But what I can say about the info-dump is that it came in a sweet spot at the end of the series, nicely wrapping close the threads that has been hanging for so long time.

If the BBC doesn't want to support the third series then at least this leaves fan with a satisfactory ending, don't you think?

We also now know much more about Landry and the 'elite' paradise survivors. But where are they? We had a discussion in my house - has to be an island, has to be within the re-fuelling distance of that aeroplane - Isle of Man, Harris, Lewis, Guernsey, Jersey?? Hardly island 'paradises'! Last time I was in Jersey in rained for two weeks solid!

Why in British Isles, when they could fly south and stay in the warm climate? Certainly DC-3 has a range to reach the Ascension Islands.

When she had the gun on Whitaker but didn't want to kill him, why didn't shoot him in the foot? Or shoot him in the kneecaps? Why didn't Tom? I'm sure he would have talked then!

Maybe Tom could have done it, but Abbey certainly wouldn't have, because it so much different to actually say I will shoot then doing it. And in the regards of Tom's methods, he's not exactly Jack Bauer, is he?

Conceptual Design of a Remote Monitoring and Control System for Nuclear Power Plants. http://article.nuclear.or.kr/jknsfile/v35/JK0350243.pdf

Do you want to stop flaming me now, or do you need more data? Or should I quit from this part of the forum as well?

CTG. It seems i have a bit different opinion but this also does not means i am flaming you. I am just kidding in my own, maybe a little weird way but i still kidding and afterall i respected your opinion.
I really enjoy this debate as i enjoy entire series. I am also aware of fact people in such forums are very intelligent and literate. But still i hope i have a right to put a smile into conversation to make it fresh.
I am sorry if you feel an offence, i repeate, you were mistaken.
Reality is different, i really respect all people i met here (they are usually unique) however i cannot respect people complaning without reason like a kids after someone told them their sand castle is not as great as they thought...

It didn't start in China. Watch the video Peter is checking again, and you will see a different location.
I didn't record it but I take your word for that. It was Greg watching it.

Why in British Isles, when they could fly south and stay in the warm climate? Certainly DC-3 has a range to reach the Ascension Islands.
I didn't realise it had such a range. It certainly flew Landry back within a few hours maximum, but I expect it could make the Ascension Islands in that time.

Maybe Tom could have done it, but Abbey certainly wouldn't have, because it so much different to actually say I will shoot then doing it. And in the regards of Tom's methods, he's not exactly Jack Bauer, is he?
This whole series, from the very beginning, has been all about Abby's maternal instinct and her bid to get her son back. When she knows Whittaker knows where Peter is, but won't tell, she is acting really angry, but then just let's it go. Then she tells Tom she doesn't mind what he does, and Tom goes off and makes him wait to go to the toilet or something. Certainly there was no waterboarding or pulling of fingernails.

I thought that 'nuclear' joke was funny. Try not to take offence so quickly ctg. No one here is allowed to flame anyone else or attack anyone. If you have made a decision to avoid certain areas that is your own decision.

Thank you Dave.
This accusation was so big nonsense. You are only two guys + Tsujigiri who are watching Survivors i ever met even in virtual world. So i was really happy i can get a share on debate about it. Truth is never absolute i can be right today you can be right tomorrow or truth can be as usually somewhere in the middle. I will enjoy debate also in the case someone will crash all my arguments....it would be a lesson for me and i will learn something.... but expressions like: do not argue or i will leave...i cannot imagine i can write something similar to public board:)

Ok, peace...we can wait for a third season now, of course if will be any.

I thought that 'nuclear' joke was funny. Try not to take offence so quickly ctg. No one here is allowed to flame anyone else or attack anyone. If you have made a decision to avoid certain areas that is your own decision.
Well, what I said, I said seriously and I didn't mean it to be taken as a joke.

You and Jardax have to understand that I've been living under a certain pressure for a very long time, and it is as if there's no light at the end of this fragging tunnel.

So please take my apologies.

I didn't mean to be so harsh.

I didn't realise it had such a range. It certainly flew Landry back within a few hours maximum, but I expect it could make the Ascension Islands in that time.

DC-3 has a 3500 km range, when it's fully loaded. So if the strip was at southern England and they were heading south, the plane can reach place like Liberia, Canary Islands or if was heading West, North-West, Canada's East Coast, and in North, Island or Greenland.

So I lied a bit about the Ascension Islands as they lie 1500 km beyond the range of the plane. Yet, the Southern Atlantic or Indian Ocean would be the place where I would go if I would be a member of the Elite. Or, maybe I wouldn't because Norway mountain range temps me more than living in a island.

Note, this is all speculation.

Dave said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctg

This whole series, from the very beginning, has been all about Abby's maternal instinct and her bid to get her son back. When she knows Whittaker knows where Peter is, but won't tell, she is acting really angry, but then just let's it go. Then she tells Tom she doesn't mind what he does, and Tom goes off and makes him wait to go to the toilet or something. Certainly there was no waterboarding or pulling of fingernails.

Yeah. I agree. Tom could have done Bauer's very easily. Probably not even feeling a thing.

PS. I hate to not being able to quote the quotes.

You and Jardax have to understand that I've been living under a certain pressure for a very long time, and it is as if there's no light at the end of this fragging tunnel.

So please take my apologies.

Accepted.

We all have some bad days in our life. Even you cannot see the light at the end of the tunnel you will see it one day and you will forget everything bad.

I thought Tom will use a sniper rifle on the roof to finish the bad guys but this end looks like an opening for a third series.

In the case i will get a chance to pick a new living place for survivors i suggest southern France or Spain. Islands are limited by its water borders what can be useful in the case you need to stay on a secured place only.

Southern France or Spain offer fertile land with opportunity to plant a fruit trees, these countires also have access to not cold sea with opportunity to use it for fishing and gathering a sea fruits. Winters are relatively ok without lower temperature. You can also stay in touch with rest of Europe and Africa from there. Next advantage is lack of dangerous diseases southern from there. It can be irony to survive the virus and then to die of malaria.

I'd certainly agree with the Basque region or the Balkans as a long-term colony for the survivors; those places were the refuges of humans during the last Ice-Age.

However, I was really thinking of where this 'elite' colony has flown to right now, and was thinking it to be an island because of the isolation from the virus they require - that would necessitate somewhere fairly uninhabited. Also, if they have fuel to fly aircraft around, I doubt they will be living off fruit and fish for quite some time.

The aircraft does indeed look like a DC-3. According to 'Wikipedia' that aeroplane has a range of 1,025 mi (890 nmi, 1,650 km.) It could be modified with extra fuel tanks, but it already had the quarantine area fitted in the rear, and I can't see how there would be the space left.

I actually don't think I was too wrong with my first suggestions for destinations. According to Travel Distance Calculator and Map between World Cities the Azores are 1615 miles away from London and Ascension Island is an impossible 4191 miles from London!

They could, however make some Mediterranean islands, the Balearic Islands are only about 800 miles, Sardinia is 905 miles, Gozo, Malta is 1280 miles. The Greek islands are too far away. As I said, given that Greg was speaking with Landry on the laptop only a couple of hours before he arrived, that too fits with that kind of distance as a maximum.

My best guesses would be either Gozo, Malta or Elba, Tuscany (where Napoleon was exiled.)

Neither are unpopulated though, so it wouldn't have been enough to simply buy the land. Do you think there was a forceful eviction of the original inhabitants?

Hi Dave. You sounds very logical. I can agree with everything you said. Concerning eviction: why not to buy a property with storages, mask it as an factory building, create what you need and then you can wait people will die of virus. No eviction needed.

It would be funny if BBC place the base somewhere into Pacific without regard to the facts they provided us with.

You sounds very logical.
I just thought I would analyse it scientifically since ctg's remarks seemed to be a little more off-the-cuff and guesswork (no offence intended) ;)

It would be funny if BBC place the base somewhere into Pacific without regard to the facts they provided us with.
Not funny, I would be quite annoyed. I know it is only fiction, but when the creators of TV and movie series cannot stay within their own internal consistency; which they have developed themselves, I find that they doing their audience a huge disservice.

I really can't see that happening here. This has been a very intelligent series and seems to be thoroughly planned from the beginning. I think they have already mapped out the whole scenario.

why not to buy a property with storages, mask it as an factory building, create what you need and then you can wait people will die of virus. No eviction needed.
They could have. They could also have gone into a nuclear shelter - such as the 'secret nuclear bunker' in Kelvedon Hatch. That would be ideal and partially equipped already. The fact is that they did not do that. They had months to plan, after they realised their error, and the plan was these flights to a 'paradise' and the mysterious postcards.

The other thing is that something like 90% of the population died of the virus, and probably half of that remaining 10% due to starvation, murder, etc. That 5% still leaves a lot of people, and it does equate with what we have seen this season -there were quite a few small groups of different people met. My point is that anywhere that was inhabited before will have some survivors, and they will be disease carriers. Just look how afraid Landry was at the airfield when he told them not to come closer. I can't see them having their base somewhere where the disease has struck - who would remove the bodies and clean up? I think they would have cleared the site first and kept the disease out. That's what I would have done.

Yes, you are right, such bug can be weird so we will see ... maybe.

I agree with numbers, rest of population is still enough. I guess i have read somewhere 30 000 (not veriefied) human population is sufficient to survive and prevent genetical problems. But they would be probably connected or on the same place.

I agree series is intelligent enought to really enjoy. I like it much more than any mindless series / movie filled with a stunning effects. Survivors just giving opportunity to think about long time after finishing watching. I really hope they will extend it.

I saw a post about Jeremiah series in this forums so i got it. It is a bit different than Survivors but i also like it. It showing several very different groups of survivors 15 years after catastrophe. All of them were kids in the time of accident so they had a chance to create society from its beginning. Many these groups of people are really weird. Interesting.

Last edited:
Original Air Date—23 February 2010

Fiona Douglas is the sole survivor in the lab, working on a cure. She tells Abby that Peter, immune like his mother, had been to the lab with Whitaker but both had left. She does not know who Landry, the man with whom Whitaker communicates, is but believes she has perfected a serum, which is successfully tested on Al. Whitaker has hidden Peter in a caravan park, telling him to shoot strangers and the boy kills Fiona. Whitaker takes him to the airfield to give to Landry - whose company accidentally caused the virus, but the survivors follow and Peter is exchanged for the serum after Whitaker is shot dead. Landry flies off, promising to mass-produce the serum, unaware that he has a stowaway on board.