Jasper Fforde

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leto

Outside
As someone as already read some of his books ?

I may have an opportunity to interview him and I need every info you can give me. Thanks for your help.

Only the Eyre Affair has been out so far here. Next month, the sequel will be published and this one will be re-edited.

That's the one I've read. I liked it a lot. Our library has a copy of the second but I haven't checked it out yet. Once I get through my current YA kick, I'll probably check it out.

I've read the first 3 books in Fforde's Thursday Next series. They're fast-paced, funny and gorgeously convoluted, in the tradition of writers like Partchett and Douglas Adams. They are also packed with literary references for the Eng Lit crowd, but are good fun even if you don't get these. I don't know how the education system elsewhere works, but nearly anyone with a high school education ought to be able to spot most of the refs.

The only thing I'm worried about is that Fforde has been keeping certain plot threads suspended for a while - over three books. As I've said elsewhere, I hope he doesn't fall prey to the series malaise.

Basically - good, clean, quirky fun with some intelligence to it.

knivesout said:
I've read the first 3 books in Fforde's Thursday Next series. They're fast-paced, funny and gorgeously convoluted, in the tradition of writers like Partchett and Douglas Adams. They are also packed with literary references for the Eng Lit crowd, but are good fun even if you don't get these. I don't know how the education system elsewhere works, but nearly anyone with a high school education ought to be able to spot most of the refs.

The only thing I'm worried about is that Fforde has been keeping certain plot threads suspended for a while - over three books. As I've said elsewhere, I hope he doesn't fall prey to the series malaise.

Basically - good, clean, quirky fun with some intelligence to it.

Thanks for the help, now I have at least one more question to ask to him, and one to his translator.

Ok, the interview is set to be done on May 18th. As it's for a radio, I'll certainly have more material than needed and may be able to type a transcript for here (if Brian agree). Any questions you'd like to ask him (beside the mmpb date of the 4th book in India) ?

The Big Over Easy. Need I say more ? :)

Baylor, I think the interview has happened. About 19 years ago. But don’t let that stop your random sentence machine.

But this poor forgone and neglected thread was here pinning away for a Baylor revival. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.