Alistair Reynolds

biodroid

A.D.D.
This has probably been asked before but I couldn't find a general thread on him so here goes.

I am moving into the SF realm now and really enjoying it with the likes of Iain M Banks, Neal Asher and Peter F Hamilton. I was wondering how Alistair Reynolds fairs against these powerhouses of modern SF/Space Opera? Are his books stand-alone so I can pick anyone and dive right in?

Maybe someone can post a bibliography? The only thing I am "worried" about is that some like his work and others don't. What do you guys/gals recommend?

What is your take on this?

I've read no more than a short story by Reynolds (which I liked) but I plan to read "Revelation Space" at some point as I understand it is highly regarded.

He has stand alone novels set outside of his "Revelation Space" universe

Pushing Ice
House of Suns

The "main" Revelation Space sequence is:

Revelation Space
Redemption Ark
Absolution Gap

Don't read those three out of order.

Additional novels set in the universe are:

The Prefect
Chasm City

Which take place before the events of the main sequence (The Prefect, tho published later is the earliest in terms of internal chronology).

If I was recommending a starting place it would be one of

Revelation Space
The Prefect
House of Suns

(I didn't like Pushing Ice much)

Re: Alastair Reynolds

Century Rain is another of his non-Revelation-Space novels.

By the way, he's called Alastair Reynolds, not Alistair Reynolds.

Revelation Space started out promising but the plot fell apart about halfway through and then it was just a mad dash towards a terrible ending. Highly, highly overrated.

Pushing Ice, the only one I've read, is three separate books (not by intention!), one after the other. And about as believable as a bright-blue turd.

I read Revelation Space a couple of months back and thoroughly enjoyed it.
I don't agree with Shadow9d9 about the plot - it all made sense to me and had a great build up to a satisfying end.

I've been a lurker on here for a while, posting rarely, but saw this thread and loved the book so much I had to recommend it.

Century Rain is another of his non-Revelation-Space novels.

Oh - somehow I'd managed to miss that altogether - off to order it now...

Pushing Ice, the only one I've read, is three separate books (not by intention!), one after the other. And about as believable as a bright-blue turd.

Obviously he's not to everyone's taste - very few author’s are.

Given that you have enjoyed Banks, Asher and Hamilton I think there is a pretty reasonable chance that you will enjoy Reynolds. If you want a "stand alone" starting point, go for The Prefect - I think it’s his best work so far.

Personally, i really rate Alastair Reynolds stuff. Especially his Revelation Space books and i have to agree that i thought the RS story was a strong one. A great story, great concepts interesting factions, some great characters and interesting enough to make you wonder about their pasts.

But each to their own. I'd suggest getting Revelation Space and see from there. Chances are that if you like Banks, you'll like Reynolds.

He hasn't written anything in the RS universe for a while now and i for one am really hoping that he returns soon. :)

Count me as an Alastair Reynolds fan too :)

2678645077_6e19ced71e.jpg

The story I read was called "The Fixation" and it was very good.

All these comparisons to Banks are worrying me though...Banks can be very hit and miss for me. I'm really not looking for another Banks...

For what it's worth, I really liked Century Rain. (But Chasm City is still the best of those I've read.)

For what it's worth, I really liked Century Rain. (But Chasm City is still the best of those I've read.)

See, now i enjoyed Century Rain, but didn't rate it. Chasm City is superb though and i think that it's probably a pretty good start in to the RS Universe. Try it Biodriod and let us know what you think.