Best miscellaneous collections : recommendations

Moontravler

Travelling
No, I don't want to recommend: I thought it would be nice to have a thread where people post recommendations from past present (and hopefully future) experience as we go along.

Currently I'm looking at getting a collection of dark tales, titled Dark Delicacies. I see there are three in the series at present; I was looking at starting with numero uno, edited by Del Howison and Jeff Gelb.

Has anyone here read any of these?

Thanks, Knivesout. The Dark Forces anthology seems to be out of stock or very expensive. Will keep a lookout for it though. :)

Well, in spite of the fact that no one even seems to have heard of the Dark Delicacies anthologies, I went ahead and ordered it anyway, since I liked the authors featured.
As per the blurb:
In a truly distinguished collection of twenty superb, sublimely dark tales written especially for this volume, such acknowledged contemporary masters of horror fiction as Clive Barker, Ray Bradbury, Ramsey Campbell, Nancy Holder, Richard Laymon, Brian Lumley, Richard Matheson, Joe Lansdale, Whitley Streiber, F. Paul Wilson, and Chelsea Quinn Yarboro serve up a veritable feast of fear.

Since the stories were especially commissioned for this volume, I figured I wouldn't find them elsewhere, and so I could not resist....

Hmm, I was pretty tired when I started this thread last night, and thought too late that I had mis-named it. I should rather have called it something like : Horror Short story Anthologies that you have liked. Or something...

I've not read any of the Dark Delicacies series. Would be interested in your verdict.

Paperback copies of Dark Forces are available second-hand on Amazon @ 1pence or 1cent +shipping.

Will give feedback, mortbury.

Re Dark Forces: Wow, one wonders if it is worth the trouble for the sellers at that price.. will look and see if I can spot those, thanks!

I've heard, btw, that the anthology named 999 is supposed to be quite good as well.

All the above is of course besides the annual anthologies like "Mammoth Book of best of... " that is mentioned elsewhere on the forum. I guess the latter we should take for granted that they are a "must purchase" if we enjoy horror Short Stories. :p

I was wondering if that was what you had in mind, but after seeing only the first post, I was left in doubt. With the broader approach in mind, you might find this of use:

http://www.sffchronicles.co.uk/forum/3779-essential-horror-anthologies.html

As for the Mammoth books... well, it depends on which one(s). While all are bulky (obviously) not all are of the best quality contents-wise; some are distinctly better than others. So familiarizing yourself with writers or stories known to be classics (either their place in the field overall or as "modern classics") may help you to avoid picking up ones you'd find disappointing....

DARK FORCES was a disappointment. "The Mist" by Stephen King was great, one of the best pieces of fantastic fiction I have read, but the others fell flat. Which means nothing, of course; for every story I don't like a hundred others eat it up. And I can't say they were bad stories, after all I finished the book with no real difficulty. I just remember being surprised there were so many lackluster stories in so huge an anthology.

DARK FORCES was a disappointment. "The Mist" by Stephen King was great, one of the best pieces of fantastic fiction I have read, but the others fell flat. Which means nothing, of course; for every story I don't like a hundred others eat it up. And I can't say they were bad stories, after all I finished the book with no real difficulty. I just remember being surprised there were so many lackluster stories in so huge an anthology.
Well, if "The Mist" was the best piece in the collection, I had better avoid it.

WIth stories like 'The Peculiar Demesne' by Russell Kirk, 'Children Of The Kingdom' by T.E.D. Klein and 'Owls Hoot In The Daytime' by Manley Wade Wellman, it would be a bit of stretch for me to agree that King's piece was the best in the collection.

WIth stories like 'The Peculiar Demesne' by Russell Kirk, 'Children Of The Kingdom' by T.E.D. Klein and 'Owls Hoot In The Daytime' by Manley Wade Wellman, it would be a bit of stretch for me to agree that King's piece was the best in the collection.

Agreed. Those are three excellent examples of the weird tale in its modern form....

Thanks for all your input, guys. The other thread that J.D. linked to seems pretty useful.
If I had known of it before starting this one, I would have bumped it. Bumping it now might seem a bit superfluous, since it is already linked to here? .. or might it nevertheless be a good idea, do you think?