The official ADWD "Pick the Announcement Date" thread

The Imp

This is inspired by all the recent talk about when GRRM will announce ADWD is complete.

The rules-

1- You must pick an exact date. It can be any time in the future.

2- Closest to the actual announce date wins.

3- If you turn this into a "bitch about how GRRM will never finish" thread expect a faceless Man (or Woman) to show up at your door and explain why doing that was mean-spirited and bad

4- What you win will be the admiration and adulation of the board, or possibly something tangible if anyone can figure out a way to reasonably do that.

I'll start us off by picking June 4, 2010

Last edited:
re: The official ADWD "Pick the Announcement Date" thread

Caveat for Mr. Martin:

Dear Mr. Martin, If you're reading this post, please don't take us seriously. We're just having fun. You can finish whenever you like. I, for one, will be patient. Sincerely, Boaz

If the conjecture regarding the time between announcement and publication is indeed six months... and if the release of ADWD will be timed to coincide with the airing of ASOIAF on HBO... and if I could somehow miraculously pick the exact date, then of course GRRM will finish ADWD on Sunday August 6, 2010. He'll want to finish on the Sunday before the next NFL preseason games begin... the Jets look good for next year and GRRM won't want to miss a game. This is six months from the second week of February, i.e. around the time HBO will air the ASOIAF pilot.

I firmly believe that the date of GRRM's announcement on his ASOIAF Update Webpage will be on Aug. 6.

Thanks for the new guessing game, Imp.

If the conjecture regarding the time between announcement and publication is indeed six months... and if the release of ADWD will be timed to coincide with the airing of ASOIAF on HBO... and if I could somehow miraculously pick the exact date, then of course GRRM will finish ADWD on Sunday August 6, 2010. He'll want to finish on the Sunday before the next NFL preseason games begin... the Jets look good for next year and GRRM won't want to miss a game. This is six months from the second week of February, i.e. around the time HBO will air the ASOIAF pilot.

I firmly believe that the date of GRRM's announcement on his ASOIAF Update Webpage will be on Aug. 6.

Thanks for the new guessing game, Imp.
GRRM seems to do the same thing that I do. We root for both the Giants AND the Jets, giving us two games to hav e an emotional interest in each Sunday. I think the GIants will havew a good year as well next season.

As for the game, it's going to be interesting seeing the range of dates.

May 11th.

July Ist is an auspicious date.

Yes, I'm hoping, but I will not be greatly upset if it is later. That is, if my virtual solicitor can get me out of the virtual death penalty clause.

Since Mr. Martin seems to have weakness against number 7, my pick will be 7th of July 2010.

I'll be incredibly (and stupidly) optimistic and go for 29th April 2010, as I want a copy signed at the Aussie Worldcon if I go ;)

EDIT: Oh, and nice to see you back Boaz. Your fellow Martinites have missed you :)

As I said, GRRM delivered A Clash of Kings in May 1998, A Storm of Swords in May 2000 and A Feast for Crows in May 2005.

So, whilst that was undeniably just a coincidence, I'm going to go with May 31st 2010 as the delivery/completion date ;)

Wait, are we talking about completion date or the publication release date?
Imp said "when GRRM will announce ADWD is complete".

I pick Victoria Day, namely Monday, May 24, 2010 (it would make the fireworks extra special):). I also pick a release date: November 20, 2010.