The Wire: Possibly the best TV show ever.

Shhh! Thread Bear would be all too eager to believe he's a cosmic saviour (if that's what you mean).

<--- Thread Bear**

** - Thread Bear was, it is believed, a Valentine's Day bear. Sadly, he seems to have been sold as a job lot to an electricity company and came to my parents as a "free gift" with the purchase of a fridge-freezer. (No wonder he has psychological problems.)

I've been looking for an alternative show to follow for a while, and this show sounds very promising. I considered "the sopranos" as well which I've also heard great things about. Might have to pick up both.

I watched the first episode of season 1 on Monday and I'm ithcing to see the rest of Season one. Then (if all the hype holds) I'll be racing my way through the rest of the seasons.

Maybe I should try and stretch it out over several months (years even)

I've been looking for an alternative show to follow for a while, and this show sounds very promising. I considered "the sopranos" as well which I've also heard great things about. Might have to pick up both.

I went on to watch "The Sopranos" after having watched "The Wire", definately the next best thing.

Well I've finished the first season and it was brilliant. Tense and superbly written drama. I really enjoyed it, so much so that I got season 2 and started already.
But...
Season 2 isn't holding up to the high standard set by season 1. I'm only 2 episodes through it but it definitely has seen a drop in standard.
Is this a shared opinion, or will series 2 grow in stature?
Do later season get better again?

I liked season two, but to be honest it wasn't as good as seasons one or three, or five. Season four I liked but in a different way.

My advice is definitely to keep going. From memory, even season two picks up once it's got everything established.

IMHO, one of the most moving scenes in the series is to be found towards the end of season two.

But I'd agree that season two was a bit harder to get into than season one, if only because the first season was documenting the bringing together of a group to tackle a specific problem. You do get to see some of the things that this problem impacts, but from the second season, the viewer gets to see just how widespread that impact is and how the setting up of a small taskforce cannot, on its own, provide a satisfactory solution.

So I agree with HB: keep going. By the end, you'll realise what an great achievement the whole series is.

Season 2 is so much different than season 1, i thought it became great too in the second half. Its slow in the start.

I'd say it's the best TV show not made by Joss Whedon, so maybe the 4th best ever - I never really got into Angel.​

But hang on, there's Lost, Alias(the 1st 4 seasons), Farscape, B5, so maybe the 8th best ever.

I realise all the other TV I listed is SF or Fantasy, so IMHO
The Wire - best non SF&F TV show ever

And for those of you at the beginning of season 2, stick with it, it gets better.

Thanks guys, I will stick with it.
But...if I find out you have been misleading me! ;)

Really Season 1 is too easy to like. Its about life and death,cops and robbers. Street life,drugs etc.

You are a true Wire fan if you can enjoy what season two is about,the corruption,the dock workers stories ;)

After i watched season 1 i went straight to season 2 and i must admit that after two episodes i kinda lost interest feeling it was too different to the first season and stoped watching it. I actually went back to watching season 2 about two months later and really enjoyed it! Then seasons 3,4,5 just flew by, lol.

Was just subjected to this, for weeks on end, along with a steady diet of other cop/mafia soaps, by roomates who also love American Idol.
Seemed a bit less repulsive and phony than most cop shows.

I'd say it's the best TV show not made by Joss Whedon, so maybe the 4th best ever - I never really got into Angel.​

But hang on, there's Lost, Alias(the 1st 4 seasons), Farscape, B5, so maybe the 8th best ever.

I realise all the other TV I listed is SF or Fantasy, so IMHO
The Wire - best non SF&F TV show ever

And for those of you at the beginning of season 2, stick with it, it gets better.

Heresy.

The Wire set a new bar for TV shows. It wasn't until after I watched it that I found out David Simon was/is a journalist, the Wire does have that sort of feel to it. I really enjoyed season 2, but it probably is the weakest of the 5 seasons. Gotta love the duck.

West isn't just English, he's SO English.:)

Each season of The Wire focuses on a different facet of the city of Baltimore. They are, in order the illegal drug trade, the port system, the city government and bureaucracy, the school system, and the print news media.

http://www.ranker.com/list-of/tv

I see what you mean with the child actors, they're very good. I was very impressed by the girl who plays "snoop" too, apparently she really is (or was) a gangster from Baltimore who grew up on the streets. I think alot of the actors are actually.

She is. In fact, she was just recently arrested unfortunately.

Incredible show. And for those stalling at season 2, keep on. Season 1 is a brilliant hook, but season 2 does feel like a change of pace. I definitely found it slower paced and less engaging than season 1 (a lot of the great characters from 1 get put on the backburner in this season but return later). It held up much better the second time around, but still is a definite step below season the peaks of 1 and 3.

Season 2 was not the best but i liked how it told the story of different people of Baltimore. The dock workers, their families,friends.

The more tv shows i watch great or weak i get more respect for how ambitious The Wire was. How excellent the writing was, how realistic the stories was, the acting. I didnt have to know they used real cops, real gangster to i could see with the tone of the show. Almost like a documentary at times.

I never buy DVDs of tv shows but i have bought recently Season 4 and 5 to finish the series. I respect Simon and co too much not enjoy it on best quality.

Has anyone seen "Generation Kill"? It's a miniseries by the same people who did "The Wire".

Back