Forthcoming Lovecraftian Items

Thanks! (It's actually about "Regner Lodbrog's Epicedium", but I still appreciate the kind words. :))

Ooops! I don't know why I typed in the Regnum Congo there, as I certainly meant "Regner Lodbrug's Epicedium", something I am familiar with both through HPL's version and earlier sources. At any rate, a serious slip of the keyboard there, and my, is my face red....:eek:

Any word out there that a companion volume to the B&N Complete Fiction of the rumored complete revisions and things is upcoming?

S. T. has edited, in two annotated volumes, Lovecraft's revisions and collaborations for Arcane Wisdom Press. Vol. I is entitled THE CRAWLING CHAOS AND OTHERS, and Vol. II is MEDUSA'S COIL AND OTHERS. Both volumes will eventually see trade pb editions. I've finished reading BLACK WINGS II and I loved it to death! I think it's even better than the first book in ye series. It will eventually be publish'd as BLACK WINGS OF CTHULHU II by Titan Books. BLACK WINGS III is edited and S. T. thinks it may come out as early as next Spring from PS Publishing. I'll have a wee story in that one.

S. T. has edited, in two annotated volumes, Lovecraft's revisions and collaborations for Arcane Wisdom Press. Vol. I is entitled THE CRAWLING CHAOS AND OTHERS, and Vol. II is MEDUSA'S COIL AND OTHERS. Both volumes will eventually see trade pb editions.

Are they complete collections of revisions and collaborations? Is there a table of contents for both? I didn't get them, too expensive, hoping for a trade hardcover, maybe single volume?

S. T. has edited, in two annotated volumes, Lovecraft's revisions and collaborations for Arcane Wisdom Press. Vol. I is entitled THE CRAWLING CHAOS AND OTHERS, and Vol. II is MEDUSA'S COIL AND OTHERS. Both volumes will eventually see trade pb editions.

In fact, they seem to be out already.

Are they complete collections of revisions and collaborations?

No, for copyright reasons the Eddy collaborations are missing.

I didn't get them, too expensive, hoping for a trade hardcover, maybe single volume?

No, two tp volumes. But the tp volumes have better texts; the text of "The Night Ocean" in the hardcover is corrupt.

Any news on the hpl-cas correspondence collection?

According to the latest intel from STJ's blog:

David E. Schultz and I were so preoccupied with work on the paperback of the Smith poetry and the George Sterling edition that we have fallen behind on our work on the two-volume edition of the letters of H. P. Lovecraft and Clark Ashton Smith. But we hope to have that project ready for publication in early 2013.

51tTchaNYYL.jpg

H. P. Lovecraft (1890-1937) was a reclusive scribbler of horror stories for the American pulp magazines that specialized in Gothic and science fiction in the interwar years. He often published in Weird Tales and has since become the key figure in the slippery genre of "weird fiction." Lovecraft developed an extraordinary vision of feeble men driven to the edge of sanity by glimpses of malign beings that have survived from human prehistory or by malevolent extra-terrestrial visitations. The ornate language of his stories builds towards grotesque moments of revelation, quite unlike any other writer.

This new selection brings together nine of his classic tales, focusing on the "Cthulhu Mythos," a cycle of stories that develops the mythology of the Old Ones, the monstrous creatures who predate human life on earth. The stories collected here include some of Lovecraft's finest, including "The Call of Cthulhu," "At the Mountains of Madness," "The Dunwich Horror," "The Colour Out of Space," "The Shadow over Innsmouth," and "The Shadow out of Time." The volume also includes vital extracts from Lovecraft's critical essay, "Supernatural Horror in Literature," in which he gave his own important definition of "weird fiction." In a fascinating introduction, Roger Luckhurst gives Lovecraft the attention he deserves as a writer who used pulp fiction to explore a remarkable philosophy that shockingly dethrones the mastery of man.

Featuring a chronology, bibliography, and informative notes, this is a must-have critical edition for Lovecraft aficionados, and the best introduction to his work for first-time visitors to his strange fictional world.

Roger Luckhurst is Professor of Modern Literature at Birkbeck College, University of London. An expert on science fiction and Gothic literature, he is the author of The Invention of Telepathy, Science Fiction, The Trauma Question, and The Mummy's Curse: The True History of a Dark Fantasy.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0199639574/?tag=brite-21

S. T. was over last night and we did a new video on YouTube. The Penguin Classics edition of Clark Ashton Smith won't be published until some time in 2014. The Lovecraft/Smith letters are to be delayed until late next year. In the meantime, a slimmer volume will be publish'd of H. P. Lovecraft's letters to Anne Tillery Renshaw and Elizabeth Toldridge. For ye newly-revived house Fedogan & Bremer, Joshi is editing an anthology of original weird fiction to be called SEARCHERS AFTER HORROR. Although the book's title is taken from Lovecraft's "The Picture in the House," S. T. stresses that it will not be a book of Lovecraftian fiction (nevertheless, he just accepted an extremely Lovecraftian tale by myself for ye book). In last night's video he announced that the book will include an unpublished weird tale by Hannes Bok written in the 1940's. :cool:

The Lovecraft/Smith letters are to be delayed until late next year. In the meantime, a slimmer volume will be publish'd of H. P. Lovecraft's letters to Anne Tillery Renshaw and Elizabeth Toldridge.

Shame about the HPL/CAS letters, but the HPL/Renshaw/Toldridge letters sound interesting enough.

For ye newly-revived house Fedogan & Bremer, Joshi is editing an anthology of original weird fiction to be called SEARCHERS AFTER HORROR.

Sounds great!!

Yes, both of these sound very good indeed. Fedogan & Bremer have been much like the earlier Arkham House; which is very good for the fans of earlier weird pulp writing....

As for the Renshaw/Toldridge correspondence... over the years, I find myself becoming more and more interested in HPL's amateur colleagues, who were often rather talented and intelligent people themselves, and represent quite a variegated group. It's a pity we don't have both sides of the correspondence with most of these, but nonetheless they are proving a richly rewarding series of volumes.

Currently I am working on putting together a paper to present at NecronomiCon 2013 in Providence, RI. The paper will discuss the different occult literature that helped form and is part of the Cthulu mythos. I have to wade through the stories that have the occult literature woven through those written by Lovecraft and those that weren't. This is going to be a labor of love.

Currently I am working on putting together a paper to present at NecronomiCon 2013 in Providence, RI. The paper will discuss the different occult literature that helped form and is part of the Cthulu mythos. I have to wade through the stories that have the occult literature woven through those written by Lovecraft and those that weren't. This is going to be a labor of love.

You wouldn't be able to do so at this point (not enough posts) but when the option becomes available, would you mind sending me a note advising me how I might obtain a copy of this paper? As someone who does a lot of Lovecraf-related research, this sort of thing would be of intense interest....

(And yes, given the amount of material involved, this is very definitely going to be a labor of love.....)

Good news from Joshi's blog:

I am now happy to make a momentous announcement: The second revised edition of The Ancient Track: Complete Poetical Works of H. P. Lovecraft will appear later this year…from Hippocampus Press! It will be a trade paperback edition of some 600 pages, and will contain a dozen or more newly discovered poems not included in the original edition. The notes and introduction have been thoroughly overhauled, and I believe this book will remain tolerably definitive for the foreseeable future. I was forced to withdraw the book from Night Shade Books because that publisher did not seem to express any notable interest in publishing it in the near future, and I did not wish to see the book (which was largely completed a year ago) sit idle for much longer. I am not sure exactly when Hippocampus will release it, but it could happen within the next few months.

I have already completed assembling my Collected Essays on H. P. Lovecraft for Hippocampus Press, although it will not appear any earlier than 2014. The book stands at 256,723 words. Of course, it does not include absolutely everything I’ve ever written on Lovecraft, even among my critical essays. (Reviews are excluded, since most of these already appeared in Classics and Contemporaries.) There were some essays that I decided were simply too inferior, or outdated, to include. But I did include some introductions to editions of Lovecraft’s work—such as the introduction to In Defence of Dagon (1985), The Annotated Supernatural Horror in Literature (2000), Against Religion (2010), and Miscellaneous Writings (1995), which I understand is out of print from Arkham House. The onerous task of compiling the index remains.

Hippocampus Press is already gearing up for the NecronomiCon convention in Providence (August 23–25) by contemplating the issuance of a number of books relating to Lovecraft. Aside from the second edition of The Ancient Track, we are working on a book by David Goudsward, H. P. Lovecraft in the Merrimack Valley, which details Lovecraft’s explorations in the area around Haverhill, Newburyport, and environs and his use of it in his fiction. There is much new information about Lovecraft’s relations with Charles W. (“Tryout”) Smith, Myrta Alice Little, and other matters. Steven J. Mariconda is working on an expanded edition of his collected essays on Lovecraft, which should include some exciting new pieces—especially about the topographical setting of “The Colour out of Space” and on some background elements in The Case of Charles Dexter Ward.

I'm terrible excited about Mariconda's book -- his lecture on "The Colour out of Space" at MythosCon was brilliant!

I know it's last years publish date but we received the Black Wings of Cthulhu in the store the other day and I was flipping through it and lo and behold on of our resident Lovecraftians was in it. I haven't had a chance to read any of it because well it's RUSH and these damn students want their textbooks, but I will get to it at some point.

I wish the new Ancient Track was a hardcover. I have the original one and it's a great volume, sadly now superseded.

I know it's last years publish date but we received the Black Wings of Cthulhu in the store the other day and I was flipping through it and lo and behold on of our resident Lovecraftians was in it. I haven't had a chance to read any of it because well it's RUSH and these damn students want their textbooks, but I will get to it at some point.

I really love that book, and BLACK WINGS II is also quite wonderful. I love how audaciously Lovecraftian many of the stories are. While I loved Ellen Datlow's LOVECRAFT UNBOUND, many of the tales therein were Lovecraftian in ways that were super-subtle, merely touching on him as inspiration and then going their own unique way. S. T., as editor and as the world's leading Lovecraftian, seems to have inspir'd his authors to be Lovecraftian to ye core in many instances. I know that he has had that effect on me. Jessica Salmonson and I have sold a story to BLACK WINGS III, called "Underneath an Arkham Moon." It is outlandishly Lovecraftian, in that it begins as a pastiche of E'ch-Pi-El's "The Unnamable," and then it goes to where Lovecraft wou'd never have ventur'd, a place that is as sick as it is sublime. But the initial inspiration for the story was, "Let's be outlandishly Lovecraftian, let's set it in Arkham and pay obvious homage to one of the 'lesser' tales." Writing such a story for such a cool book feels like a form of celebration for what it means to be a Lovecraftian writer to-day -- such nameless joy!

I just found this -- stupendously expensive, but should be interesting:

https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810891159

Whoop! So Dr. Waugh kept the title! Last I heard from him, it was still a tentative title, subject to change.

I must admit that I'm quite excited about the release of this one; not simply because I've got an essay in it, but because the list of other contributors is exceptionally good....