Forthcoming Lovecraftian Items

1. j d worthington

j d worthington Moderator

Ooops! I don't know why I typed in the Regnum Congo there, as I certainly meant "Regner Lodbrug's Epicedium", something I am familiar with both through HPL's version and earlier sources. At any rate, a serious slip of the keyboard there, and my, is my face red....:eek:

Oct 16, 2012
  2. w h pugmire esq

w h pugmire esq Well-Known Member

I linger within ye shadows of Sesqua Valley, dream
    S. T. has edited, in two annotated volumes, Lovecraft's revisions and collaborations for Arcane Wisdom Press. Vol. I is entitled THE CRAWLING CHAOS AND OTHERS, and Vol. II is MEDUSA'S COIL AND OTHERS. Both volumes will eventually see trade pb editions. I've finished reading BLACK WINGS II and I loved it to death! I think it's even better than the first book in ye series. It will eventually be publish'd as BLACK WINGS OF CTHULHU II by Titan Books. BLACK WINGS III is edited and S. T. thinks it may come out as early as next Spring from PS Publishing. I'll have a wee story in that one.

Oct 17, 2012
  3. pablo

pablo Well-Known Member

Are they complete collections of revisions and collaborations? Is there a table of contents for both? I didn't get them, too expensive, hoping for a trade hardcover, maybe single volume?

Oct 18, 2012
  4. Ningauble

Ningauble Lovecraftian

In fact, they seem to be out already.

Oct 18, 2012
  5. Ningauble

Ningauble Lovecraftian

No, for copyright reasons the Eddy collaborations are missing.

No, two tp volumes. But the tp volumes have better texts; the text of "The Night Ocean" in the hardcover is corrupt.

Oct 18, 2012
  6. yaxomoxay

yaxomoxay Active Member

Any news on the hpl-cas correspondence collection?

Oct 24, 2012
  7. Ningauble

Ningauble Lovecraftian

According to the latest intel from STJ's blog:

Oct 25, 2012
  8. pablo

pablo Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0199639574/?tag=brite-21

Nov 12, 2012
  9. Ningauble

Ningauble Lovecraftian

Dec 7, 2012
  10. w h pugmire esq

S. T. was over last night and we did a new video on YouTube. The Penguin Classics edition of Clark Ashton Smith won't be published until some time in 2014. The Lovecraft/Smith letters are to be delayed until late next year. In the meantime, a slimmer volume will be publish'd of H. P. Lovecraft's letters to Anne Tillery Renshaw and Elizabeth Toldridge. For ye newly-revived house Fedogan & Bremer, Joshi is editing an anthology of original weird fiction to be called SEARCHERS AFTER HORROR. Although the book's title is taken from Lovecraft's "The Picture in the House," S. T. stresses that it will not be a book of Lovecraftian fiction (nevertheless, he just accepted an extremely Lovecraftian tale by myself for ye book). In last night's video he announced that the book will include an unpublished weird tale by Hannes Bok written in the 1940's. :cool:

Dec 8, 2012
  11. Ningauble

Ningauble Lovecraftian

Shame about the HPL/CAS letters, but the HPL/Renshaw/Toldridge letters sound interesting enough.

Sounds great!!

Dec 9, 2012
  12. j d worthington

Yes, both of these sound very good indeed. Fedogan & Bremer have been much like the earlier Arkham House; which is very good for the fans of earlier weird pulp writing....

As for the Renshaw/Toldridge correspondence... over the years, I find myself becoming more and more interested in HPL's amateur colleagues, who were often rather talented and intelligent people themselves, and represent quite a variegated group. It's a pity we don't have both sides of the correspondence with most of these, but nonetheless they are proving a richly rewarding series of volumes.

Dec 10, 2012
  13. nerd literature

nerd literature Well-Known Member

Currently I am working on putting together a paper to present at NecronomiCon 2013 in Providence, RI. The paper will discuss the different occult literature that helped form and is part of the Cthulu mythos. I have to wade through the stories that have the occult literature woven through those written by Lovecraft and those that weren't. This is going to be a labor of love.

Jan 1, 2013
  14. j d worthington

You wouldn't be able to do so at this point (not enough posts) but when the option becomes available, would you mind sending me a note advising me how I might obtain a copy of this paper? As someone who does a lot of Lovecraf-related research, this sort of thing would be of intense interest....

(And yes, given the amount of material involved, this is very definitely going to be a labor of love.....)

Jan 2, 2013
  15. Ningauble

Ningauble Lovecraftian

Good news from Joshi's blog:

I'm terrible excited about Mariconda's book -- his lecture on "The Colour out of Space" at MythosCon was brilliant!

Jan 17, 2013
  16. nerd literature

nerd literature Well-Known Member

I know it's last years publish date but we received the Black Wings of Cthulhu in the store the other day and I was flipping through it and lo and behold on of our resident Lovecraftians was in it. I haven't had a chance to read any of it because well it's RUSH and these damn students want their textbooks, but I will get to it at some point.

Jan 17, 2013
  17. pablo

pablo Well-Known Member

I wish the new Ancient Track was a hardcover. I have the original one and it's a great volume, sadly now superseded.

Jan 17, 2013
  18. w h pugmire esq

I really love that book, and BLACK WINGS II is also quite wonderful. I love how audaciously Lovecraftian many of the stories are. While I loved Ellen Datlow's LOVECRAFT UNBOUND, many of the tales therein were Lovecraftian in ways that were super-subtle, merely touching on him as inspiration and then going their own unique way. S. T., as editor and as the world's leading Lovecraftian, seems to have inspir'd his authors to be Lovecraftian to ye core in many instances. I know that he has had that effect on me. Jessica Salmonson and I have sold a story to BLACK WINGS III, called "Underneath an Arkham Moon." It is outlandishly Lovecraftian, in that it begins as a pastiche of E'ch-Pi-El's "The Unnamable," and then it goes to where Lovecraft wou'd never have ventur'd, a place that is as sick as it is sublime. But the initial inspiration for the story was, "Let's be outlandishly Lovecraftian, let's set it in Arkham and pay obvious homage to one of the 'lesser' tales." Writing such a story for such a cool book feels like a form of celebration for what it means to be a Lovecraftian writer to-day -- such nameless joy!

Jan 19, 2013
  19. Ningauble

Ningauble Lovecraftian

Jan 28, 2013
  20. j d worthington

Whoop! So Dr. Waugh kept the title! Last I heard from him, it was still a tentative title, subject to change.

I must admit that I'm quite excited about the release of this one; not simply because I've got an essay in it, but because the list of other contributors is exceptionally good....

Jan 28, 2013