Search -- dust falls from space mechanical things seize

BMoore

In high school in 60s I read a science fiction novel and cannot recall title or author. The plot is that two high school boys live in a small town in the US. Some sort of meteorite or other occurrence causes some sort of dust to fall from the sky. All mechanical things (motors, engines, etc.) seize up, generators stop turning, and there is no power. Winter comes and two neighboring small towns fight over fuel for keeping warm. Anybody recall such a book? Thanks for your help.

Hi, and Welcome to the Chronicles.

I'm sorry, but I had to remove your other thread. I know it seems like a good idea to post the same question in different sub-forums, but we don't allow duplicates of that sort.

Anyway, this one is in the right place, and likely to get the most attention (and, with luck, the right answer).

I got this by Googling; it wasn't the horror I suspected (scientific inaccuracies everywhere. Called just "Dust", and I have determinedly forgotten the author.) but seems to fit your description .

'The year when stardust fell' Raymond F Jones (1958)

"Cometary dust contaminates the atmosphere and begins a catalytic
breakdown of the surface tension of various metals, welding everything
shut. This is a scientific mystery of finding out why machines are
suddenly seizing up in increasing numbers, and how to slow or prevent it.
As it becomes worse, we have a great return to the Dark Ages scenario, with
people resorting to clubs and spears (since modern weapons are becoming
non-functional). This reaches a crescendo in an attack on College
Hill--the home of a small country college whose physics department is
working feverishly to find a solution. The local town in its foresight has
(mostly) agreed to provide the scientists and students with the resources,
food and medical gear they need to keep alive in a world without plumbing,
and with rampant anthrax and plague. How does one do physics research with
equipment failing as fast as one can use it, a mob at the gates (with
torches no less) and with only medieval living conditions? "

Attachments

• 94da53a09da0f7bd16156110.L._SL500_AA240_.jpg
    94da53a09da0f7bd16156110.L._SL500_AA240_.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 202
Hey, a Raymond F. Jones book I don't have, didn't even know about. Sounds worth hunting for. Thanks.

THANKS SO MUCH !!!

I've been wondering about this book for several years. I tried Googling various things last week (that's how I found , but didn't find it. What did you use when you Googled?

This has to be the right book. I remember the attacks, etc. the synopsis discusses. Now to find one...

Thanks again,
Bruce

THANKS SO MUCH !!!

I've been wondering about this book for several years. I tried Googling various things last week (that's how I found , but didn't find it. What did you use when you Googled?

This has to be the right book. I remember the attacks, etc. the synopsis discusses. Now to find one...

Thanks again,
Bruce

I don't remember the exact terms I used, but the clever bit (insofar as I can be clever with computers, which isn't very) was to put a minus sign followed by "jacket", so as to eliminate all the books for sale with a 'slightly faded dust jacket'. (and minus "bear" and "Asimov" and "dreams" as I spotted which terms came up most often.) After that if was more or less scan for likely results.

Welcome to the Chronicles, by the way; you'll find we're good for other things apart from recognising obscure books.

And finding it might turn out to be quite difficult; there was one second hand on offer for $80+…

Back