1970's 80's Sci Fi Book titles - help anyone?

baggiesguy

Hi,

I am new to this site so forgive me if this is not the right mode fro asking but:

I have been trying to identify two books that I read and enjoyed back in the late 70’s maybe very early 80’s.

Book 1: At the time the front cover was the thing I loved the most - a giant wasp attacking a man. The story line was about an invasion of large wasps and the fight to survive. I have been convinced it was called ‘The Furies’ or 'Fury' similar but can’t find it.

Book 2: More importantly, was about a artificial planet where the scientists were testing the computer systems ability to learn. There were robots/drones on the planet managed by the computer and the scientists tested the intelligence of the computer by sabotaging parts of the network it managed by cutting network links, wires etc.

In time the Computer learnt to add redundancy into the networks and so later attempts to disrupt had less of an impact. However, the computer had noticed via cameras that humans were the problem in keeping its systems on-line and also spotted one of them getting burnt by a torch or other.

As a result, the computer further modification of the drones to use flame throwers and other weapons and started to defend then later actively hunt and destroy the pest.

My recollection was that the book was written by an IT Guy (possible once Honeywell Information Systems) who was an early promoter of network/grid computing.

Have you any information on these books, could you provide me with the title etc?

No problem. I've moved your post to the Book Search subforum, where it should receive greater attention.

Welcome to Chrons and good luck with the search.

Cheers....:)

The Furies, Keith Roberts - see here.

That's it! Well done, Ian; as soon as I read the description I could picture the cover and I've been wracking my brains since trying to recall author and title.

Maybe I'd have got there sooner if I had the book in this edition.

I don't have the hardback, but the paperback edition I have also has a wasp on the cover.

I've no idea what the second book is, though.

Fantastic guys - I am off to Amazon to buy it immediately. Shame the original artwork is not on the cover any more but now I know its name I'll hunt one down.

High expectations that someone will be able to come up trumps on the other one

:)

The one about the computer is Two Faces of Tomorrow by James P. Hogan.[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

Back