Is RTD Carrying the Torch across the Pond?

Ursa major

Bearly Believable
Staff member
Supporter
A US version of the cult BBC drama Torchwood is being developed for Fox.

The project is thought to be one of the first major projects to come from the new BBC Worldwide Productions drama team in the US.

There has been speculation for some time that a US version of Torchwood would materialise after both Julie Gardner – the former head of drama at BBC Wales for the show's first run – and the former head of BBC Fiction, Jane Tranter, moved to America.

According to the Hollywood Reporter, the US version will be penned by Russell T Davies, who wrote the revamped Doctor Who when it returned to the BBC in 2003.
There's another Guardian article linked to this:

Maybe they'll do it properly - oh, sorry, just read the bit where it says RTD is writing it. I do so apologise to the Universe for allowing myself the luxury of Hope, even for a moment.

Sorry, but I have absolutely no faith in American productions of British programs -- experience has taught me the difference between "hope" and "self-delusion" on this one.... And even if (a big if, considering the way that business runs here) a British team were "in charge" of the project, American producers and network execs will simply not be able to keep their little pinkies out of it.

And Fox... you mean the ones who canceled darned near every show they've had worth watching before it had a chance to show what it could do....?

If they do to Torchwood what was done to 'Life on Mars' it won't be worth the silicon it's digitised on

If they could do with Torchwood - er ... well, anything that would make it watchable at all ... I'll personally send a thank-you note to Rupert - and you've no idea what a huge step that would be for me ...

And Fox... you mean the ones who canceled darned near every show they've had worth watching before it had a chance to show what it could do....?

They let X-Files run and run until it ran out of steam - on the other hand they dropped Brisco County Jr because of it :(

Sorry, but I have absolutely no faith in American productions of British programs -- experience has taught me the difference between "hope" and "self-delusion" on this one.... And even if (a big if, considering the way that business runs here) a British team were "in charge" of the project, American producers and network execs will simply not be able to keep their little pinkies out of it.

Yeah, that.

I really don't know which side fo the fence I'm on with this one. I like Torchwood, and so a move to the States with the original cast might be a bonus, not only in terms of possibly a larger budget, but also the increase in scope for stories that they'll have. Aliens may no longer exclusively threaten Cardiff and London, but as with 'Children of Earth', a more global plot will apparently be involved.

However, if they decide to do a complete rehash of it, and alas most UK/US remakes have been rather more making a hash of it, in order to appeal to a broader US audience then it may very well disappear up its own Rift.

What I'm more concerned about was a comment in this article
Fox readying U.S. version of 'Torchwood' -- The Live Feed | THR

which says "(Jane) Tranter might try to reboot “Doctor Who” for U.S. audience..." My initial reaction was along the lines of 'oh dear God, no!'

That one's been tried, too... it was an abysmal failure. (No offense to McGann, who I think could have made a fine Doctor if he'd had something other than pure cliche and crap to work with....) Surely Fox wouldn't be so stupid as to... oh, wait, that was Fox, wasn't it....?:rolleyes:

The whole idea of an American version of Torchwood on Fox just terrifies me. They'll ruin it. If they keep the original characters (well, the ones they have left), they won't let Jack be Jack. It will be awful.

Just, no.

Fox is not running the Torchwood Season 4, another channel named Starz is taking the franchise forward with BBC Worldwide and will be part bank rolled by BBC Worldwide there first foray into Drama. Captain Jack and possibly Gwen will return for 10 episodes with RTD at the helm.Parts to be filmed in Wales!!! and will have an international flavour.

The new one is called Torchwood: The New World. It sounds promising, hopefully it will be great.

And according to Wiki, the US partner is now Starz and no longer Fox.