Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Semi-Realism Prosthetics

MistingWolf

The writing wolf ^,^
Mostly working on the story I'm doing now, but I s
In my story, The Changing Angel, my main character gets into an accident and loses her right arm. She does indeed get a highly-advanced prosthetic. A friend who had been reading my story had made the comment that everything - getting the prosthetic in general from surgery to recovery - was all too convenient. I have to agree with him. Here is how it stands now:

Iris went to her bike, brushing away the new spider web, carefully avoiding the spider, and headed down the trail. Soon she approached the end of one of its hills, and stopped. This was one of the more tricky hills, since the bike trail cut right though town, including a road. Trees and hedges blocked her view of the street. She grumbled, wanting to speed down the hill as fast as she could. Maybe I will anyway. Besides, this street is hardly used.

A well-dressed man was walking down the sidewalk below her, carrying a dark brown briefcase and talking on his cell phone. Maybe he could look for me; the road’s pretty straight, so he should be able to see pretty far.

“Hey!” Iris called. “Is anyone coming?” The man looked at her, still talking, practically glaring at her, but otherwise ignored her and continued walking. She huffed loudly, checked to make sure that her hair was firmly tied back, and started down the steep hill, gaining more speed as she pedaled.

Iris saw the truck just before it hit her, but never felt the impact.

[Doctor Tran:]“In the accident the other day, your arm was crushed; the bones inside were completely shattered. We had to remove it or face difficulties later. Your, uh,” here, Tran cleared her throat. “Your wing somehow managed to survive, cushioned, I suppose by your arm, just enough to only break a single bone and pull a couple of muscles and tendons.”

Here, she motioned to a light box on a wall where a couple of x-rays were hanging. She pointed to a specific film that showed her wing bone, broken just after the wrist. “We bandaged it as best as we could without removing any feathers. Your father threatened us with our lives if we took any out. He said they wouldn’t grow back. But why you even have wings is completely beyond me. But otherwise you should be fine.”

“But what about my arm? I don’t want to be missing a limb for the rest of my life! I have a promising career as a gymnast!”

“I don’t know about your vocation, but I do have some good news: we can replace your arm. With recent biomechanical advancements, we can rebuild your arm’s workings. It’s a difficult procedure, and it’s fairly new; it hasn’t even been tested on a human subject to such a scale as of yet.”

“Oh, you’re up already,” [Doctor Tran0 whispered. “How do you feel?”

“A little sleepy, and I’m sore all over. I think my right arm is still a bit numb; I can hardly feel it, and it’s a bit hard to stay up straight. It’s heavy,” Iris murmured back. Tran nodded and wrote something down.

“Yes, soreness would be expected. We had to reinforce that half of your upper body with more faux metal, which we infused some of your DNA into. Hopefully this will help with the bonding process. It’ll feel a bit hard in those places. Namely around your collarbone, scapula, and ribs. The numbness might be just the remnants of the sleeping gas. You’ll get used to the weight eventually.”

~~

Basically the outer prosthetic is made out of faux metal, a substance that skin can bond to. It's cast for shape from the other arm and attached beneath the skin so it's hidden with the mechanics protected from fluids inside. Touch and pressure sensitivity would be reduced but not completely gone. I don't know a whole lot about these kinds of medical things, so help in these regards are welcome as well. However, this procedure is meant to be flawed in that, later, she loses her skin covering the prosthetic entirely [due to lack of proper blood flow and lack of ventilation from the prosthetic].

Hey Misty,

you could be worrying unduly - your story is set in the future, so you can do what you like with prostheses, use an electrical energy field to regrow the limb (she'll have to stay immobile while that happens...), and that's not so fantastic. Just google 'Regrowing limbs with electrical stimulation' and see the papers there. (Sorry, for some reason my laptop won't let me copy and paste the paper reference!) Regenerating limbs and nerves is coming...

You can invent an electriconeuralintegrated synthetic arm that looks, and acts just like the real thing if you choose (think Luke skywalker after his Dad cut his hand off, and grow one better!).

Regards

Boneman

Ah, interesting ideas. But my point in her having a prosthetic is so it doesn't regenerate; the mechanics serve to save her life later on down the road, so there was indeed a reason for it [that and I think a neat fake arm is cooler than regenerating the ol' fleshy one].

In that case ( I remember now....!) the incredible advances in prostheses, caused, unfortunately, by landmines mostly, means you have no problem in giving her a neuro-electrically stimulated titanium pump-action prostheses that works by stimulation of the motor neurones(therefore the brain activates it); nerve endings will be grafted to the electrical motor that runs the arm and it will be covered (as it's the future) by her own fascia, and skin, which they grow for her from her own cells. Voila, indistinguishable from the real thing - until it gets crushed and she turns out to be a terminator.....

Goldhawk - the case reported in that article was a scam, and was thoroughly debunked by numerous science/medical bloggers at the time.

Goldhawk - the case reported in that article was a scam, and was thoroughly debunked by numerous science/medical bloggers at the time.

So? This forum is about writing fiction. It doesn't have to work in real life.

Technology is science fiction is like magic in fantasy; it doesn't have to make sense, follow the laws of our real world, or explain itself fully. If you want to do it like this, when why not? Go for it.

Good news and bad: Bone-welding went very well. Too much is often expected of orthopaedic holographic ultra-sonics but, in your case...

Sorry, we've checked five ways, and you're in the 17.7 percent (And falling ;-)) for whom we can't yet clone a viable replacement limb. Maybe next year ? Anyway, as we would have done for the six months while the limb grew, you get a prosthetic. Nerve and load interfaces match a clone so, soon as we can, plug'n'play...
===
I'm sure there's a Famous Writer's saw about appropriate administration of Handwavium...

Last edited:
That depends wholly upon your world. Is it today's world? A different world? Ours in the future? As long as it is supported by the world building, her prosthetic fitting could be as quick as you want it to be. I think the character's adjustment to the new arm would be the long and important part - perhaps pieces get changed as she adjusts and finds bugs.

On a completely different track - I've never heard of anyone saying of themselves "I have a promising career..." They would say "What about my gymnastics career?" or somesuch.

I would agree that you've made it a little too easy. If this kind of procedure were commonplace in this advanced society, fair enough, but you're explicitly saying it isn't. But a few sentences later and bingo! all fixed. Personally, I think either it ought to be a standard procedure, which allows you to get it over and done with quickly but makes her less special, or you ought to make it more difficult ie she has to jump through bureaucratic hoops/seek funding/undergo psychological profiles etc. Presumably, you want to get on to the real action quickly but a couple of paragraphs of exposition might be enough if you don't want to spend too long on explanations.

By the way, picking up dwndrgn's point, I have to say none of the dialogue sounded convincing to my ears. I really don't think people talk like this. Considering she is in a state of shock at first and coming round from anaesthesia afterwards, she is remarkably coherent and calm, and most of what the doctor says is info-dump masquerading as speech. I think you need to work at this a little.

There could be cultural reasons. Organic replacement/ regrowing might be outright banned, before it even had time to develop as a science, due to religious politics--anti-stem cell research/ general fear of messing with 'god's design' etc.

In response, the medical establishment has come on leaps and bounds with more artificial prosthetics.

Dwndrgn: It's our own future world, settled vaguely in the 2030's.

Judge: I see your point. This is fairly old writing [about two years now], and I can't agree with you more. I do need to work on the scene and dialogue in its entirety, but I've never been to the hospital for more than some bruised bones in my hand, and that was back in grade school. I've never been there when a doctor gives out bad news; so suffice it to say, I have no experience in this situation at all. More research is needed.

J-WO: The main reason she can't just regrow a limb, even though she can change forms, is that she can only alter the cells that currently exist in her body. The organ that releases the chemicals to make her do this is limited to only that; she can't grow more cells. But then again, as was stated earlier, why not turn into a creature known for regeneration? The answer is, cause I don't want her to. ^ ^; It sounds mean, but in the end, a person would grow attached to something like this [especially since it saves her]; that and I think it's a unique thing for her.

I've never had a doctor give bad news either, thank goodness (*touches wood all round*) but I think it's like any group of people - some are very good and considerate, some are blundering idiots because of sheer lack of empathy or squeamishness. I dare say there are some who would lecture a patient inappropriately, but I'm convinced that no one in this situation would take it in - it would come over as a lot of jargon. So if you went into her POV you could have him wittering on if you wanted, and her not understanding a blind word of it.

Good luck with it anyway

Technology is science fiction is like magic in fantasy; it doesn't have to make sense, follow the laws of our real world, or explain itself fully. If you want to do it like this, when why not? Go for it.
I agree with parts 2 and 3, but definitely not part 1. Science-fiction (and fantasy, for that matter) does have to make sense. It must be consistent with itself and with normal logic (unless breaking normal logic is a deliberate feature of your setting). If the technology does not make sense, then that is as serious a crime as any other plot hole or setting hole.

Your technology needs not be compatible with real-world science, but you should know what you are doing. Not doing the research leads to crappy science-fiction.

Indeed. I've actually found a great article on the advancement of the prosthetic arm in the latest National Geographic. The next one to be developed has sensors in the finger pads that will detect pressure! So, maybe my idea of being able to cover it with skin isn't so far away after all!