Survivors 2.01

ctg

weaver of the unseen
re: Survivors 1.06

Survivors gets second series on BBC

The BBC has commissioned a second six-part series of Adrian Hodges’ post-apocalyptic drama Survivors before the first run has finished.
The first series has been a ratings success for the corporation, averaging 5.9 million viewers and a 23% audience share in its Tuesday 9pm timeslot.
Like the original 1970s version, scripted by Daleks creator Terry Nation, the Hodges series was set in the UK after a virus had wiped out at least 90% of the world’s population. The original Survivors series first aired in 1975 and ran for 38 episodes over three series.
The final episode in the current series, which follows the disparate group of survivors trying to build a new life, screens on BBC1 on December 23rd at 9pm.
Hodges, who was also behind Primeval and Charles II, will return to executive produce the second series of six episodes next year.
The cast including Julie Graham, Max Beesley and Phillip Rhys will return, with “further casting to be announced next year” according to a BBC spokeswoman.
Sam Nichols, Guardian Media
19 December 2008
Adrian Hodges drama Survivors gets second series on BBC | Media | guardian.co.uk

Wow, they really brought it back after all that we endured last year. It was soooo good to see everyone's back on the board, and the creators deepening the story. The one thing that bothered me was that how Greg could endure the pain so well. I mean his chest was blown in pieces and yet, against all the odds, the man still manages to scare away kids.

But one thing was sure, although everyone said that Tom bought the day, was that it wasn't him, it was Sarah who sold her body against the jack-lift. Then again, if that was the key for their survival, then why didn't they bothered to look into the other cars? Were they that much in shock that they could stop for a minute to think? Even so, the episode was brilliantly made, and showed much better promise then Merlin ... well at least to the adult audience.

Why I think so? The answer is that I believe many of us has already been rooted for Abby and now that she's in a place where she cannot escape, we all want her family to find her. Do you agree?

PS. Not for a very, very long time I have wished for one to survive, but this evening I almost prayed for Al to be alive. Does it mean I'm getting soft on my old age?

It'll be shown fortnightly, don't know the major reasoning behind that, but I suspect that BBC is doing their most to kill the effort behind the series. They certainly don't want to prop up a series that can back up some of the things the conspiracy theorist has been saying for years, do they? I wouldn't be surprised if they would decide to move this series near the midnight slot.

Really, I assumed there was some reason for the gap. I've never heard of a drama serial on a fortnightly schedule before. Taken with the lack of pre-advertising I guess they are trying to play it down. That's a shame as they've clearly spent some money on it, and generally it seems pretty good.

I loved first 6 episodes and 2x01 was also excellent. The only one thing is strange. Group of survivors is so vulnerable in the evil world. Why not to visit police station or a military base on the first place to get some good equipment? Everybody knows where are these places located in your area:)

I loved first 6 episodes and 2x01 was also excellent. The only one thing is strange. Group of survivors is so vulnerable in the evil world. Why not to visit police station or a military base on the first place to get some good equipment? Everybody knows where are these places located in your area:)

True. A true survivor would have done this long time ago, but in the world this series is, every man and their dog rather try to live in the world they'd come from, not in the world that they're now living. Besides the point, I don't know for sure, but I doubt that all the local police stations in the UK have a armoury. Besides the point, would they know how to use one, or even would they want to use if they'd a chance, when it seems that the group mentality is to survive as it used to be.

I am also not sure about armories in UK police stations, but people usually died on their workplaces... docs in hospitals....so i guess cops died in police stations and cops are usually armed:). This fact is not bad for start. Second step is more of weapons, automatic if possible + enough of amo. Much better idea than stores with modern t-shirts and sweetshop. Third step is a castle or something similar. It has a solid walls and gates usually. Much better than open house with a glass doors and big windows, what is really foolish decision. Some catles even offes a places for animals - horses and cows inside its walls...there is also a big space for storage and other special purposes - natural food cellars. Just living in a common house and having animals (hens) in the garden is unreal in the times people become beasts while they lost fear of punishement.

This is just the only one thing i dont like. Other show aspects are great. I really like the idea of people who are still honest and "good people" even in those so bad times.
Btw any info about third season?

Survivors 2.02

I would also go for finding a castle to live in too, except that I'm not sure about the "food" situation. If the virus has also affected animals, then you would be down to hunting tins for food until you could grow you own vegetables (so need to stay near towns and supermarkets.) We haven't seen packs of dogs, or sheep or cattle, however, there was a fox in this weeks episode. I'm confused on that regard. And how long has passed? No gardens have overgrown, so I'm thinking only a few months. The scientist's wife said "weeks have turned into months."

We were all for saying how convenient it was that they arrived at the research centre just as Abby had escaped, but the writers were ready for that, and she seemed to be in an entirely different place. Still convenient though, but now it seems less so due to that, very clever!

I didn't see all the episodes last year. Who is the man on the video-phone calling all the shots? Do we know?

Re: Survivors 2.02

I would also go for finding a castle to live in too, except that I'm not sure about the "food" situation. If the virus has also affected animals, then you would be down to hunting tins for food until you could grow you own vegetables (so need to stay near towns and supermarkets.) We haven't seen packs of dogs, or sheep or cattle, however, there was a fox in this weeks episode. I'm confused on that regard. And how long has passed? No gardens have overgrown, so I'm thinking only a few months. The scientist's wife said "weeks have turned into months."

That's right. Just barely a half a year.

I'll answer rest of your questions in new topic, okay?

Good point Dave. Animals can be the crucial factor in any similar situation.
However i cannot agree with : you have to stay near supermarkets. There are all kind of cars available....even big trucks and unlimited fuel resources just after crisis. So it can take only a few rides from castle to supermarkets and back:). It can be really a bit dangerous idea to stay around supermarkets because people are natural beasts and if they are in such troubles they become even worse. Much better is to find a good people and stay with them to create a good living place based on a good morale principles.

There are also several animal questions. I wonder why are all farms empty. There must be plenty of cows, sheeps and other animals. I guess cows, sheeps, hens and goats can survive on grass fields even without human.

What about dogs? Nearly every family has a one or more dogs. What will be with them? I can imagine they become hungry few days after epidemy. I can imagine packs of dogs eating dead people and even live people later. Hunger in combination with dog owner loss can be a terrible catalysator of a new habits.

I think the reality can be worse and "more interesting" than in series...

Btw my lovely characters are Anya and Najid (he is more practical than anyone else) and i think Tom is highly needed for entire group survival :)

Last edited:
Jardax - Yes, that is what I meant about the domesticated animals. On further thought, you are probably right about staying near to supermarkets. I was really thinking more of supermarket warehouses and distribution centres, but anyway, without power the frozen and chilled stuff is going to be ripe by now, and the vegetables and fruit will also be rotten. I like the supermarket scene in "28 Days Later" with the irradiated food.

I was also thinking of castles being in the country, but most are in the centre of towns anyway. Far better to fortify some country house like the army had in "28 Days Later".

I am probably used to a little different castles than those in UK.

Bouzov Castle
http://www.nasemorava.cz/upload/Bouzov_0.jpg
Karlstejn Castle
http://www.eccb2009.org/css/images/karlstejn1.jpg
Konopiste Chateau
Konopištì
Zvikov Castle
http://coloursofbohemia.com/upload/ilustracni/zvikov.jpg

I mean these castles in country as i know, surrounded by walls so you need just to lock the gate:) they also had secured inner place inside centre of buildings for animals and so...

You can survive anything inside those walls in postapocalyptic times:) even hordes of zombies.

28 days was a funny movie...i never seen so fast zombies.

Yes, i agree a city chateau cannot be a good idea.

Original Air Date—12 January 2010

Abby is taken to a sealed bio-dome where scientist Fiona Douglas tries to find out how she caught the virus but survived. James Whitaker tells her her cooperation is crucial but he is a liar who says his wife and child are dead whilst he is secretly hiding them. Anya and Al are trapped under rubble in a decaying hospital where they have gone for her to operate on Greg. They survive when Sarah agrees to have sex with a man who will help them and Anya removes the bullet from Greg, who then denounces Tom as a murderer,causing Tom to leave the group.

I wasn't at all convinced by Al's survival - he seemed to have stopped breathing for quite some time before Anya provided CPR, but I couldn't accept that it would have worked.

Was really hoping for Al to die just because it would have been more realistic from the way the episode was set up - though I think there are often instances where it's difficult to maintain suspension of disbelief, but the series otherwise maintains a strong tension and keeps driving the story and characters, which makes these relatively painless to overlook - even Al's survival. :)

Al is the character who had changed the most, so it would be a pity if he had died. And as Jardax just pointed out in the spoiler, there is more in store for him this Season. They are not afraid to kill off characters, but they do recover from serious wounds and illnesses too quickly considering the shortage of fresh foods and medicines. Greg is back to normal by the next episode.

Indeed, that's a problem, Dave. :)

Do like Al's character - he's gone from millionaire playboy to general bum along with everyone else, but the situation he was put in made him look as if by rights he was dead - so was disappointing to see this cheated.

The writers could do with tightening up the scripting a bit so there's more continuity - the Greg example is a very good one, as I don't recall him having any problems from the gunshot wound once Anya had stitched him up. This isn't Star Trek!! :D