Just started reading Orson Scott Card...

zorcarepublic

Seeker of wisdom
...a few weeks ago, when I saw that 'Ender's Game' was in a bookshop in a town near to me. Got two books for a fiver and started reading it. Haven't read the other yet...:)

What is the recommended reading order for the books in the series? So far I've read Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead.

Ender's Game, Speaker for the Dead, and Xenocide, all great books, but which tail off each time in quality until you get to the remaining books in the series that are little more than vehicles for Card to express his political views. I would recommend you read Xenocide and then move on to something else.

Like the later Dune Books by Herbert, the Ender Saga drags on far too long.

I only really enjoyed Enders Game, which i thought was brilliant. The other were pretty poor in my opinion. I did read some of teh shadow series of books (Ender's Shadow etc, but they didn't add anything.) Try one sequel. If you're not too fond of it, i'd say leave it there.

I only read the first 2 and preferred Enders Game, Speaker for the Dead IMHO I thought wasn't really a sequel but more like a continuation of the adventures of Ender himself while he is a man and not a kid.

Still need to get more of him to read but not sure what to look for. Any advice?

I only read the first 2 and preferred Enders Game, Speaker for the Dead IMHO I thought wasn't really a sequel but more like a continuation of the adventures of Ender himself while he is a man and not a kid.

Still need to get more of him to read but not sure what to look for. Any advice?

If you like modern retellings of fairy tales, you might like Enchantment, which is a retelling of Sleeping Beauty, with some excusions into Russian fairy tales in the bargain.

Pastwatch is interesting, too. It has to do with the repercussions of time travel.

Ender's Game and Ender in Exile should be read first and then second. After that it's really up for grabs.

I've just started reading "Ender's Game". Will see how I go but I already have "Speaker for the Dead" and "Xenocide" on my book shelf so may well read those three then stop.

One other of Card's books not to miss is "Songbird." It is a stand alone novel and IMO his second best. Ender's Game, Songbird, Speaker for the Dead, and the rest IMO are average or sometimes less then.

I've read that some of his film novelisations are pretty good and add quite a lot.

Rodders - The Abyss novelisation was pretty decent because you get to see the main characters history and what drove them to do what they did in the original story Cameron wrote. I don't know what other tie-ins he's written.

Just finished "Ender's Game" which was very good although would have been nice if there was a little more mystery in it. Still, I will try the next one at some point....

I really enjoyed the three sequels to Ender's Game that I read: Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide and Children of the Mind. I actually liked them better than Ender's Game itself, particularly Speaker for the Dead. There was another sequel published more recently called Ender in Exile, but I haven't read it because now that I'm more familiar with OSC the man I refuse to buy any more of his books.

I have read Ender's Game and Speaker For the Dead. I have Ender's Shadow, which I may eventually read. Has anyone read this? I've seen no mention of it in the forums.

Ive read things is the following order. Enders shadow, then enders game, speaker for the dead, then back to beans story with shadow of the hedgemon, shadow puppets, and now shadow of the giant. by the 4th book of the shadow series I'm really finding the books a little too preachy but I'm still enjoying them and the characters are all very close to my heart. I actually prefer the bean side of things, they are a bit simpler, world politics and warefare, a villain that just wont die lots of scenes of injustice and cruelty to get your revenge juices flowing etc. I'll read Xenocide next I think.

I read the Main Series of Ender's Game and I really enjoyed it to the last book although I have no intention in reading the other side stories. read it in the following order

- Ender's Game
- Xenocide
- Speaker for the Dead
- Children of the Mind