Leigh Brackett

I've read the Fantasy Masterworks anthology 2 months ago, loved her work. Is any of the rest of her material in print?

Sadly, no. At least not in the UK. But her books can be found second-hand. I picked up most of mine from eBay or at conventions. It's worth noting that the stories in the Fantasy Masterworks collection also appear in other collections and separately - so you could end up with multiple copies of some stories...

Paizo,Planet books has several of her famous books in print.

You can get it online or through your bookstore.

Connavar is right (bless you, Mr. C, for being so strongly supportive of such writers!). If you have trouble finding them, you might try the link below:

paizo.com - Paizo / Paizo Blog / Tags / Leigh Brackett

That will give you some idea of what they have in print by her at present. You might also try looking for the collection, The Best of Leigh Brackett, which was edited by her husband, Edmond Hamilton. It was both a hardcover and paperback, went through more than one printing, and was a long-time selection of the Science Fiction Book Club, so shouldn't be too hard to find....

I actually have two books of her through second hand places like bookmooch.

I have The Best of Leigh Brackett which a Vance fan send me along with Vance books. She is a very interesting writer i hope to read much more of and get the Planet Stories books.

This is a very cool article about Brackett.

Epiphany by Michael Connelly

Epiphany

Its awesome how people can inspire other people so different from them. Michael Connelly is the last person i saw as Leigh Brackett fan. Michael Moorcock sure but not him.

"Lorelei Of The Red Mist", "Martian Quest" & "The Sea-Kings Of Mars" are all good collections of her stories published by NESFA (New England Science Fiction Association).

Ive was tow books y here
1. John Eric Stark of Mars which was a very entertaining , Its dated in terms of it portrayal of Mars but deftly worth the read. The Coming of The Terrans ion short stories also sett Mar never was but again , is well worth the read . :cool:

I liked a lot of her work, including those where she collaborated with her husband (Edmond Hamilton) and the many film scripts she wrote, including her first draft of Empire Strikes Back.

I only know her name due to her work on the original script for The Empire Strikes Back. She'll always have my respect for that.

I only know her name due to her work on the original script for The Empire Strikes Back. She'll always have my respect for that.
Here stories might be a bit dated but worthing reading.:)

Leigh's movie/tv scripting includes The Big Sleep starring Humphrey Bogart, several John Wayne movies, and a Marlowe movies.

Most of her sci fi were short stories set in the Solar System at first. Later, after the folding of several sci fi magazines, came the novels.

Love Leigh Brackett. Lots of books available on Amazon. My favorite of hers is Sword of Rhiannon. Also a huge fan of Edmond Hamilton!

Leigh Brackett is a very controversial writer. The main protagonists of her books are very primitive and flat, as was customary in pulp fiction. However, the dying worlds of Mars and Skaith created by her imagination are truly beautiful. All in all, it looks as if the ugly bodybuilder had accidentally wandered into an antique shop or museum.
Anyway, I like her books, especially the Skaith series.

I have read a couple of Leigh Brackett books in print, and I also have "The Leigh Brackett SF Collection" on Kindle. I love to visit her imaginative worlds. In some of her stories, I can see the ideas behind what Star Wars later described as The Force with it's light and dark sides.

Leigh Brackett is a very controversial writer. The main protagonists of her books are very primitive and flat, as was customary in pulp fiction. However, the dying worlds of Mars and Skaith created by her imagination are truly beautiful. All in all, it looks as if the ugly bodybuilder had accidentally wandered into an antique shop or museum.
Anyway, I like her books, especially the Skaith series.
Interested to know more about why she is very controversial. Please can you enlarge on this?

Maybe I used the wrong term. But I find her characters boring, while the imaginary worlds in which they have their adventures are very interesting to me. There is a contradiction (or contraverse).

I read one novel by her - The Sword of Rhiannon. The characters did not really stand out but the scenes that she describes in her story is some of the best I have ever read in my 40 years of reading SF.

Love Leigh Brackett. Lots of books available on Amazon. My favorite of hers is Sword of Rhiannon. Also a huge fan of Edmond Hamilton!
If you liked Edmond Hamilton you might want to check out Avengers of the Moon by Alan Steele. It's a Captain Future origin story .:)