2.13: The Last Dragonlord

I can't recall the exact wording, but there was a (written) message at the end of the last episode to the effect that there will be a third series of Merlin.

The episode ended with 'Merlin will return". So, they finally planned the 3th one ?

Yes, confirmed by a BBC press release, on December 3rd:

Hit family fantasy drama Merlin, produced by Shine Television, has been recommissioned for a third series for BBC One.

The announcement comes as the second series of the Saturday-evening show continues to enthral audiences, pulling in a peak of over six million viewers and a 31% share.
BBC - Press Office - Merlin commissioned for new series

6 Million wow thats alot, like 20 million in huge country like US.

Of course they cant end Merlin like this. Too many story issues left unfinished.

Yes, confirmed by a BBC press release, on December 3rd:

Thanks a lot, pyan ! :)

I really hope I can see it again on our channels, this time in English. I don't know what they really had in their minds, but they gave as the 1st season in French. I'm afraid that was a big mistake, as the voices and even the music are not the same. :(

*between us, I could follow almost the entire series thanks to mininova and I know that others from different countries all over the world did the same thing"

I watched this season online streams but i watch it on tv too. So they can see the show has international viewers if that counts for them money wise.

Speaking of online streams. Can you watch all of them in UK ? I saw on Merlin's site, that you can watch the entire series. Lucky you !

Speaking of online streams. Can you watch all of them in UK ? I saw on Merlin's site, that you can watch the entire series. Lucky you !

I'm not in UK if you meant me. I'm in Sweden.

The national channel 1 has Merlin. They have online streams for few of the popular shows. I saw Merlin S1 like that since i missed the first time on tv.

Almost all the channel here have free streams for some of their shows. Which is nice, watching when you want.

You can watch most programmes in the UK via the BBC iPlayer and ITV ITVPlayer. I believe they are blocked if your origin is not in the UK, though people probably do use some kind of cloak to get around that. In the UK you also still require a TV licence to watch TV online, though I haven't heard of any prosecutions yet for online TV watching without a licence.

I forgot to mention, but the cave where Merlin's father was living looked like Wookey Hole in Somerset. Does anyone know if it was?

Has Wookey Hole featured in any other TV and film? I know that Chislehurst Caves in Kent have frequently been used in TV and film i.e. Doctor Who.

Did anyone find it a bit stupid how easily the famous dragon lord died....

Why couldnt the dragon have killed him instead of a random soldier...

Connovar, age and long times between the fights doesn't keep you exactly razor-sharp. He wasn't Arthur, but a man who'd been hiding from every man and his dogs. Although he senses were sharp, one lucky one can still manage to throw in the one that counts. It's the end, so his death so far has been most plausible. I cannot agree about some of the wildest things that the 'back-ground fighters' had done to get them killed, or helped someone else to get killed. In sceptical eyes, I really wonder how skilled these Camelot knights really are?

Connovar, age and long times between the fights doesn't keep you exactly razor-sharp. He wasn't Arthur, but a man who'd been hiding from every man and his dogs. Although he senses were sharp, one lucky one can still manage to throw in the one that counts. It's the end, so his death so far has been most plausible. I cannot agree about some of the wildest things that the 'back-ground fighters' had done to get them killed, or helped someone else to get killed. In sceptical eyes, I really wonder how skilled these Camelot knights really are?

Arthur should be nothing compared to magical warrior like a dragon lord. I was thinking of his magic. He could have thrown away the guy that killed him with a hand gesture like Merlin did afterwards.

I just thought they could have killed him off in a better way so they could give Merlin the final battle with the dragon.

Camelot knights are apparently a joke under Uther. They get killed so easily by any brigand. I wonder how the kingdom survived this long, they should have lost wars,many battles ;)

Camelot knights are apparently a joke under Uther. They get killed so easily by any brigand. I wonder how the kingdom survived this long, they should have lost wars,many battles ;)
I had also had that thought too - they are like 'Star Trek' redshirts - there was only one of them who ever seemed to survive a trip into the woods with Arthur and Merlin and even he got killed in this episode (unless he miraculously turns up again.)

I forgot to mention, but the cave where Merlin's father was living looked like Wookey Hole in Somerset. Does anyone know if it was?

Don't think so, it doesn't look like Wookey Hole to me. I'm from Somerset and I've not heard anything about it, I expect it'd be on the local news or something if it was. :confused:

It is probably not then, thanks. This what I was thinking of, but the River Axe was missing if it was.

wookey.jpg

Edit: I've found out where it was from this website:
http://community.livejournal.com/merlinlocations

By the way, the Dave mentioned is not me, but someother namesake.

Porth yr Ogof is a significant cave in the Brecon Beacons near the village of Ystradfellte. The Welsh name translates as 'the mouth (or gateway) of the cave', apt because the main entrance is the largest cave entrance in Wales, at over 17 metres wide and almost 5 metres tall.

Thanks to a lovely chap named Dave, who contacted me via our companion website, Porth yr Ogof has been identified as the cave in which Merlin and Arthur find Balinor in episode 213 The Last Dragonlord. Filming used the exterior of the cave's main entrance and the Afon Mellte (the Lightning River) which runs through the entrance. There are also some really beautiful promotional photos taken at the cave mouth.

Arthur should be nothing compared to magical warrior like a dragon lord. I was thinking of his magic. He could have thrown away the guy that killed him with a hand gesture like Merlin did afterwards.

I just thought they could have killed him off in a better way so they could give Merlin the final battle with the dragon.

I saw this episode twice and in my opinion, the death of the dragon lord was plausible. The soldier was ready to kill Merlin and his father jumped in front of him to save his life. He could not use the magic as Arthur was present, too. The dragon lord had to die as only by his death his son could take his heritage of magic. I always suspected the dragon took his time to teach Merlin for a reason.

Thanks Dave & Connavar for the feed-back :)

One thing no one has mentioned is the quality of Colin Morgan's (Merlin) acting in this episode. I thought he was superb. A few scenes, in particular, stood out for me.

Scene #1: Merlin reveals his identity to the Dragonlord.
I could see the fear and longing in his face. He's just learned that his father is alive and a legendary Dragonlord. Now he's facing the man and he's happy but also afraid because he doesn't know what response he will get.

Scene #2: His father says "goodnight son".
The joy on Merlin's face when he hears those words and the happiness and pride he expresses in the word "father" brought tears to my eyes.

Scene #3: His father's death.
The pain on Merlin's face, his tears...I was shaken. I was reminded of my father's death.

Scene #4: Back at Camelot, Arthur tells Uther the Dragonlord is dead.
Gaius looks at Merlin as Arthur delivers the news to Uther. Merlin's face wrenches with pain and grief for a moment, until he manages to bring himself under control.

I thought this was a superb episode.

I'm also glad that Merlin spared the dragon's life. Merlin's father did a splendid job of explaining why the dragon was so angry and wanted revenge. Once again, I am very angry at Uther and all the damage he's done to so many people over the years...damage that can never be healed. (Kudos to Anthony Head for making Uther so believably unlikeable.)