Books that have stunned you.

GRRM- Storm of Swords... I'd even stumbled across a spoiler or two, and it STILL left me reeling
Charlie Huston- A Very Dangerous Man
Philip Pullman- His Dark Materials... still never read anything quite like it

Nineteen Eighty Four - so many stand-out moments that make you sit up and think, including the very first sentence

The Eyes Of The Dragon - A fairy tale for adults and children alike

And although not a novel , Richard III was the play that convinced me that everything said about Mr. Shakespeare was NOT greatly exaggerated

I, too, think that Michael Scott Rohan is an under-rated writer -- and I agree about his descriptions of the Ice. I've been trying to get two of the books in the second trilogy forever, but when I find a copy of either one on any of the amazons its always at a price I can't possibly afford.

But as for books that stunned me -- when I was very young, so many books did that (I was a very receptive reader, easily moved) none of them stand out. I, too, love The Count of Monte Cristo, but I first read it (probably abridged) when I was ten and, as I said, so many books affected me in those days, I can't remember if that one had an exceptional impact.

As an adult -- or nearly an adult when I first read it -- I would have to say The Lord of the Rings. Back then, in 1966 or 1967, I had no conception that there could be anything like it.

A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens. I thought I knew it, but when I read it for the first time as an adult I was amazed by the way some of the scenes touched me on such a deep level.

Lud in the Mist by Hope Mirrlees, because it immersed me so completely in its little world. I had thought fantasy needed epic scope to do that.

A lot of books hit me smack between the eyes on a second or even a third reading, because I find they are so much better than I thought they were the first time. That list would be a very long one.

There would be several but I'll nominate Steven Erikson's Malazan, particularly the third book Memories of Ice. Now that stunned me and left me in complete awe of Erikson's ability to weave an entire mythology/magic system so convincingly and not signpost events.
Snap... Suppose there will be others but Erikson sprung instantly to mind

I, too, think that Michael Scott Rohan is an under-rated writer -- and I agree about his descriptions of the Ice. I've been trying to get two of the books in the second trilogy forever, but when I find a copy of either one on any of the amazons its always at a price I can't possibly afford.
Wow, I didn't even realise there was a second trilogy. I shall look out for that...

Great minds think alike eh?.... ;)

I don''t think I found Fionavar Tapestry awe inspiring but I do recall it made quite a strong impression on me in the '80s and that it was one of the SFF reads of the decade...as I was fairly new to the Genre then.
:)
It wasn't so much awe inspiring , as much as it was my first 'what the hell!' moment. I couldn't believe what I had just read. Fionavar was only the third fantasy I had experienced.

Wow, I didn't even realise there was a second trilogy. I shall look out for that...
Yes, I've read those too. In some ways the original trilogy is still the best IMO but the second series is also worth pursuing.

Here's the entire Winter of the World set:

The Anvil of Ice
(1986)
The Forge in the Forest (1987)
The Hammer of the Sun (1988)
The Castle of the Winds (1998)
The Singer and the Sea (1999)
Shadow of the Seer (2001)

Yes they are ridiculously expensive online these days. However, I do scour the second hand shops in Melbourne most weekends, so now that you've flagged this I'll keep my eyes out for reasonable priced copies of the final 2 books to send you.....assumnig you're not after pristine copies?

However, I do scour the second hand shops in Melbourne most weekends, so now that you've flagged this I'll keep my eyes out for reasonable priced copies of the final 2 books to send you.....assumnig you're not after pristine copies?

Thank you. Nope, I just want readable copies; pristine is not a requirement. The books weren't published over here, so there isn't much chance I'll ever run across them in a used bookstore (although I keep looking). I would be very grateful indeed if you could find some copies for me.

No problem...for the Goblin Princess all things are made possible... :)

I never realised the books were not printed in the US. That's something of a shame considering how skilled a writer Scott Rohan is.

I'll contact you once I've got something.

The first three were published here, but not 4-6 -- I have no idea why that is.

(And thank you, again.)

The only books that stand out for me would be...

Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas (read this at the age of 15 during in-school suspension. It left a very large impression on my young mind. Plus gave me a greater understanding of how warped my parents were)

The Road (So depressing it hurts. By far one of the best books I've read)

Fahrenheit 451 (This book is practically pre-cognitive. It pretty much sums up what our society is becoming)

Greybeard (I found this to be so realistic, if this did happen, it would most likely be like this novel)

Dean Koontz - Lightning
Stephen King - The Shining

Is Michael Scott Rohan any good? I can't seem to find his books anywhere and when I do it's tattered at a secondhand shop.

Is Michael Scott Rohan any good? I can't seem to find his books anywhere and when I do it's tattered at a secondhand shop.
Well you may be after other opinions, assuming you've asked this in response to my recent posts in this thread but for what its worth Scott Rohan is excellent and as Teresa says underrated or just not known well enough. To be more accurate, he's probably a great storyteller and a very good writer.

It is unfortunate that his copies are often not in the greatest of condition second-hand I know. Luckily I got copies when they first came out and many libraries here stock the books too.

My 2c...

Well you may be after other opinions, assuming you've asked this in response to my recent posts in this thread but for what its worth Scott Rohan is excellent and as Teresa says underrated or just not known well enough. To be more accurate, he's probably a great storyteller and a very good writer.

It is unfortunate that his copies are often not in the greatest of condition second-hand I know. Luckily I got copies when they first came out and many libraries here stock the books too.

My 2c...

I'll second Gollum on this one, I've always found him enjoyable, in all his books, but no more so than when he is writing his Winter of the World novels. A something even more special comes alive, in fact the only problem is the length of his chapters!!! He draws you in and you just can't stop. and the ten minutes you have turns into an hour as you are whisked away, oblivious to time as the 70 page chapter speeds by!

I don't know about stunned, but there have been few books that i've read and enjoyed so much that once i'd put them down, i needed a day or two to think about them before i went on to my next read.

No intellectual choices for me.

The Player of Games, Iain M. Banks. I like the twist that i saw coming and i really liked the twist at the end. Kind of sad too.

The Forge of God by Greg Bear. WOW! What an ending.

The Road (So depressing it hurts. By far one of the best books I've read)

Today I read a review on OpenSalon of the movie based on this book, so I ordered a copy of the book and I intend watching the movie at some point too. Good to hear from another person who thinks so highly of the book. I'm eager to read this book.

Oh man, another fan of the Winter of the World here who didn't know about the second trilogy! The Winter of the World is one of my all-time favourite series so I will have to keep an eye out. I have no idea why this series is not regarded as a fantasy classic. It deserves to be.

Books that stunned me - there have been quite a few over the years, though most stuns happened when I was a young reader of course. A few that come to mind:
- First read of LOTR (Oh God, Shelob's lair, I had to put the book down for a few days)
- A head-tilting twist in Sheri Tepper's The Family Tree - part of me saw it coming but I was in awe of its execution, even so
- Duncton Wood, by William Horwood. I had no idea what I was in for - the delight, the tears, the wonder is still with me. Moles. Who knew??
- Brave New World, by Aldous Huxley - read this as a teen and it took me ages to get over it

Diggler - The Road (So depressing it hurts. By far one of the best books I've read.

I find it quite irritating when authors think they are so good they don't have to use punctuation. Sorry but that just annoys me.

Hehe McCarthy has lost many readers because of that. Many find that pointless.

I forgot to mention Legend by David Gemmell, not the best written book ever but emotionally,character wise very powerful. The end was so moving, closest i have been to tears reading a book.

Back