SG-U: 1.10 Justice

ctg

weaver of the unseen
Panic!!! How did they... er... Colonol Young dared to leave Doctor Rush on that planet? What he's going to do when he needs him, recruit Eli to be the head-scientiest? I don't think so, but I understand he's reasoning is very clear as Robert Carlyle "Yes, something like that..." answer to Young's question: "So, the end justifies the means?"

I believe that Young believe Rush isn't level-headed, and he needed to get rid of him. So the end really justifies the means. What I mean that he believes that Rush is dangering the whole mission on getting back on Earth, or, even if he ever wanted to get back.

Now, a wee complaint about the series, if Rush is back in the ship without any explanation then I'm going to stop watching this series. The reason for that can be found from the end of the TIME episode where the producers left the audience hanging with a cliff-hanger, and then at the very next episode everything was if it has never happened.

I don't think there was a cliff-hangar at the end of "Time". We simply saw two loops of "here is a problem and how to solve it" where in the first they found the problem and eventually the solution, in the second were told about it in the kino but still failed to solve it in time. We are left with the situation (not, I would say, cliff-hangar) where they are told the problem and potential solution. They would have had several hours of daylight to go to the planet to collect the carnoctopuses and extract venom. Okay, it's not 100% free from risk or error, but it was hardly a "how do they get out of that" tied up in a stage-coach heading for the ravine...

As for "Justice", it was certainly an ending I didn't expect. There are logically two main variations: the ship goes back for him (e.g. Franklin wakes up with enough knowledge to stop the autopilot) or Rush catches up with the ship (three sub-options: someone finds him and picks him up, he finds a way to use the crashed alien ship or next time Destiny drops out of FTL it's still in Stargate range [though he's unlikely to have been left a remote]).

I think Rush will be back, it was a very good ending though. Him waking up alone on a planet millions of light years from Earth and the sun is going down. They could do whole spin off on Dr Rush's survival.
I do think that Young will regret (eventually) leaving Rush behind. It was quite a shocking development, it worked well though. I thought Rai's (? or Ray, or Reigh) little stint at being captain was a bit poor. She should have done better.
Gonna have to wait now though. Wait until next year for more SGU

I do think that Young will regret (eventually) leaving Rush behind. It was quite a shocking development, it worked well though. I thought Rai's (? or Ray, or Reigh) little stint at being captain was a bit poor. She should have done better.

I suspect it wouldn't be a half-decent writing team if there isn't an "emergency" within the first quarter of episode 11 which doesn't require Dr. Rush's experience and skills. Or, is that too predictable? As for Camille Wray, she's an I.O.A. representative, a politician/diplomat. Why would she have leadership skills, necessarily?

I was saying to a friend that I couldn't believe we had to wait until April for the next episode given what happens in this one. He couldn't believe it either and he has yet to find out what happens! Way to leave people wanting more!

I agree with PTeppic, there most likely will be some sort of dilemma which Rush's expertise could help with early in the episode, possibly something to do with the guy who sat in the chair. Young will turn to Eli and the rest of the science team and they will be at a loss because it was something Rush was working on and they can't figure out what his notepad scrawlings mean. It may even present itself in the pre-credits, although I fear that will largely be a 'previously on SGU' montage to recap.

Young thinks that Rush will die on the planet, but somehow I don't think that's on the cards. Maybe he crashed ship has a database of Gate addresses for that particular area of space and Rush can use it to gate to a planet in a system where he estimates the Destiny should drop out of FTL, and from there gate back to the ship. Just a crazy idea, what do I know!

Of course Rush will be back. There is a spaceship sitting right next to him.

That's a good idea Dr Jackson, Rush can use the gates to hop ahead of the Destiny and then just walk casually back on board as if nothing happens, I expect he'll be eating fruit when he does :)

The only issues would be a) whether Col. Young left him a remote (unlikely); b) if they use the same dialling system as (assumed/deduced/explained) within the Milky Way galaxy; and c) whether they're powered the same way. No-one's theorised yet (that I've seen) on the latter two technical issues and I don't want to change the thread, but the gates here can't really work the same way. First, there's the dialling (based on galaxies as chevrons, using the xyz seven point address in real-space, adjusting as the gate moves) which can't for some obvious reasons. They may instead use something as simple as being numbered sequentially, with the Destiny getting some default value. On the power issue, simply the fact that the ship is going into and out of range of gates within a few days FTL implies the gates seeded by the survey ships must be much reduced power/range compared to the static ones in the Milky Way. That may mean there's no chain to jump along to get ahead of the Destiny, even assuming Rush had some way of controlling the dialling. Notwithstanding all the above, the ship they found (and so far not been able to access) may be Jumper like and have a DHD, or a hand-held version like the Destiny's remotes.

What are the odds that Doctor Rush knows what path Destiny is taking, and what are the odds that he is in a planet that has alien (friendly) presence? In Rush case it's a real survival situation, when in Young case he has to make best with what got.

pteppic,
a) Dr Rush will be able to whittle up a dialling remote out of bit of alien technology he finds/pries loose from the crashed alien vessel
b) Rush is already aware of the differences between regular dialling and destiny dialling, he could quite easily have the address for Destiny memorised, irrespective of the seventh (extra (or is it 8th)) chevron.
c) The alien craft that crashed near to the gate is bound to have sufficient residual power to chagrge a signle gate long enough for Rush to stroll through with his apple.

Ok so most of that was creative arguing, but I'm thinking now that Rush might be able to power the gate and fly the crashed craft through the gate directly onto destiny, therefore giving them a quicker and safer way to explore planets in the future.

Or...Dr Rush could just be rubbish at survival and die quite soon from an infected wound he picks up whilst trying to pick berries.

Whilst I doubt it will be much of a spoiler that Rush makes it back to the Destiny, I'm sure he has a lot more information on Destiny than he's letting on. He has been through the largest amount of it's database out of everyone on board, and he managed to access the subspace link between it and the seeding ships that it is following.
It could be that he uses the crashed ship to access the subspace link with Destiny and figures out the heading from there. It more than likely will have something to do with the alien ship and the technology on board. I can't see it just being there as set dressing.

Of course, I'm just assuming that the Gate-seeding ships have been going in one direction which would mean that the gates would follow some sort of path, possibly a sequential dialing code. In the first episode the flight plan so far wasn't really clear enough, it just showed straight lines between galaxies, so I have no idea of the flight path in terms of individual solar systems, which is where the flaw in my original idea lies, thus the need to access the link and figure out the heading.

Oh, and anyone who we have seen operating DHD's or remotes in SG-1 or Atlantis has had to memorize the 'Home' address. I think the same will apply in SGU, so I reckon Rush will have it committed to memory.

The gate does appear to have a numerical code of sorts rather than the usual glyphs - found this on YouTube of a test run of the SGU gate - YouTube - Destiny Gate Dialing (Stargate UNIVERSE)
see what you make of it, any ideas?

Young had to get rid of Rush after his guilt was exposed, if Young was to stay in command. Neither Rush nor Young has acted with much integrity. If Rush continues in the series, he'll definitely find a way back, and the only outcome can be "High noon time" between him and Young

had the following ideas of what might happen to Rush.

1) He figures out the Alien Spacship
2) He activates a beacon in the Alien Spacship.
3) He figures out how to activate the Stargate from the Spaceship.
4) He finds a native form of life on the planet that he can work with.

ah,

I'm sure there's endless ways to move his story along and have him meet up with Destiny again I just hope it's not a quick fix that people soon pretend never happened.

I wonder who the bigger "jerk" is, I'd go with Rush, who resorts to really dirty tricks to secure his position and to destablilze the Destiny community

Just saw this episode. Things are really getting interesting and we're seeing the darker side of many of our characters.

It seems that some of Young's suspicions about Rush, while not always correct, were valid. The thing is that Young can't exactly claim any moral high ground over Rush after leaving him on the planet. They are perhaps as bad as each other - plus what Young did to Rush is exactly what he was accused of doing to...the dead man (forgot his name already)

I thought this was just going to be a typical muder mystery in space episode - not a bad thing at all - but the story became something else.

I've been enjoying the more human stories of this show without the need to introduce the next big alien threat (Gou'huld, Wraith, Ori etc) but I think the time is now ready to finally meet some aliens. The ship provided some interesting possibilities and I am really looking forward to next week's episode.

The thing that set this show apart from SG1 and Atlantis is that it is essentially a story about anti-heros. The only "likable" character on the ship really is Eli. However, they are quickly becoming a family and even unlikable characters are loved by their family.

Regarding Time, I found the ending quite acceptable. It was obvious what was going to happen. We didn't need to see it. What we were witnessing the entire episode was one version of the timeline (the earlier timeline was seen entirely through the Keno) so I didn't take it as an unresolved cliffhanger at all.