SG-U: 1.01 - 1.03 - Air

Highlander II

There can be only one!!
1.01: A research team studying the Stargate's ninth chevron is forced to flee through the gate when their secret base is attacked by an unknown enemy. They end up stranded on an Ancient ship named Destiny, billions of light years from Earth.

1.02: The evacuees from Icarus Base discover that the life-support system on the Destiny will fail in a matter of hours.

1.03: Lt. Scott and Dr. Rush travel to a desert planet to locate a mineral essential to Destiny's life support system.

While a good idea - a darker series (no doubt learning from Batttlestar Galactica and several other recent series) - I thought it was poorly executed. These three episodes seemed muddled and rambling and yet not a lot went on. In some ways, too much was going on with the flashbacks, the use of the stones and also the video diaries. Despite all the character building, I still don't knpw much about these characters and then they killed off one of them who could have been the most interesting. The MIT dropout and the senators daughter are meant to give us a common man point of view. I think it failed.

The ship itself is dull and boring. If it is Ancient why is not more like Atlantis? It look more like a cargo container or the Nostromo from Alien. Well, maybe that will be answered eventually.

And the first planet they go to (which the ship chose) is a lifeless desert of white sands. This is really making people enthusiastic to watch more, not.

I missed the first episode when this was fairly recently repeated. I agree with Dave that the premise is sound but the execution was flawed.

Surprisingly, I rather liked the dropout (Eli?). Though a maths genius he's the everyman character, and usually I dislike those, but I thought his actor did a good job (Robert Carlyle[sp] stole the show, however).

Most other characters I never really gave a damn about. Even after watching the two seasons I wanted the tedious colonel to die every time I saw him, so someone more interesting (the sergeant seemed to have some character) could end up in charge of the military. And the lieutenant, Matt, was a two-dimensional stereotype. Not quite as boring as Ford from Atlantis, but bloody close.

The villains were also inferior to both the Goa'uld and the Wraith.

It's a shame, because the basic storyline and a shift to a darker tone could've worked very well. Still, it could be worse. It could've been Outcasts.

I don't remember a whole whole lot about this opening 'episode'... I do remember being wholly unimpressed with it... quite bored, actually. Likely why I don't remember much about it.

I dl'd the series and told a friend of mine that we should sit down and try to get through them all... but, so far, we haven't managed to do that yet. No idea why... *shifty eyes*

It got better with the introduction of some tension, but I won't spoil here. There was still too much using the stones to go back to Earth, but that did lead to interesting developments. In the end, as with all cancelled series, it got wrapped up too quickly, leaving unanswered questions, just as it had began to improve. Persevere through the first six episodes and once the character building has finished it does get better.

I initially had watched up through the ep where [character] gets left [somewhere] and then I stopped. Mostly b/c a) I couldn't remember anyone's freakin' name b/c b) I really didn't give a rat's butt about any of them.

Then, icing on the cake? Mallozzi and co kept squawking about 'if u silly fans don't watch my precious precious SGU and make it have bunches of seasons (and me bunches of monies) then we won't do any other SG films and things w/ the SG-1 and SGA folks that u really like' and I just threw in the towel b/c dood - no you are NOT going to try to blackmail/guilt me into watching your crummy show so that *maybe* you'll make something for the better shows. Nope. Not how I work. I have a hard time getting interested in a thing when the creators start being ugly to the fans. =(

Well, I got rid of cable and never had an opportunity to watch it. I just caught up with Atlantis and Universe on Netflix recently.

I'd like them to reboot the whole franchise and go back and do a proper sequel to Stargate with no other aliens or other planets, just friends of Ra, and no back engineered alien technology. Or was that called Independence Day?

Yeah, I found it hard to care about many of the characters. A shame, as the premise was perfectly sound and a few characters were very well done.

Back