Ultimate ancestry of Aryans a.k.a. Indo-Europeans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which is tinkering with the facts in order to make what you want to fit, fit. It isn't following the evidence to the genuine conclusion.

You seem to forget that the scientists do precisely that: they go at these things based on such sources, investigate in all manner of fields from linguistics to genetics to anthropology to... etc.; work with others who also investigate, propose their hypotheses, tear each other's work to shreds where it doesn't fit the evidence, or becomes highly speculative; look for further evidence to see where that takes them; discard theories when they don't fit... and eventually reach solid conclusions which are based not on what they think, or what they wish to believe, or any of that, but on the facts. Are there areas where speculation enters in? Yes; but with such things as this, they tend to keep them to a minimum, and these are based on analogs which are known to be more accurately developed from factual evidence.

Speculation is fine, as long as it doesn't lead you down the garden path to a big gaping pit; but before you go arguing that any speculative view is actually more likely to be true, you need to inform yourself of the genuine facts as known, look for any problems with that, and see which of the various possibilities for an explanation of those gaps is most probable. Going about it the other way simply reinforces ignorance and muddy thinking; it doesn't get at the truth.

Nope. Not tinkering, but playing, and playing skillfully. Anthropolgy, archaeology, history, paleontology, ethnology etc. etc. are a bit like economics. They are not, each of them, a hard science, like mathematics. They're flexible, pliable disciplines, not rigid ones.

In mathematics, mostly you only have one answer to one problem. Very occassionally two. Very rarely three. But in anthropolgy, archaeology, history, paleontology, ethnology etc. etc., 50 different researchers working separately on the same one problem would give you 50 different answers. It's just, if you like, the nature of the beast.

Just pick up 15 books on either Troy, Egypt, Persia or Greece, and you'd get 15 different versions.

But get 25 mathematicians, or physicists, to calculate - separately - how much younger than you, your twin brother - yes, your twin brother - would be if he flew to Alpha Centauri on a spacecraft travelling at 0.99 times the speed of light, and returned to earth, and you'd get - exactly - the same, one answer.

Not leading down, but leading up, the garden path, mate. Up to the temple. The temple of greater truth. Not the narrow, restrictive truth of closed-minded tunnel visionists.

Last edited:
But in anthropolgy, archaeology, history, paleontology, ethnology etc. etc., 50 different researchers working separately on the same one problem would give you 50 different answers. It's just, if you like, the nature of the beast.

Just pick up 15 books on either Troy, Egypt, Persia or Greece, and you'd get 15 different versions.

That doesn't make any one of them right.

Wishful thinking, spurious logic, does not an increase in knowledge make.

J

Are we back to the monkeys again? Eventually, one of the monkeys will chance upon the correct etymology. But how will we know which one?

Nope. Not tinkering, but playing, and playing skillfully. Anthropolgy, archaeology, history, paleontology, ethnology etc. etc. are a bit like economics. They are not, each of them, a hard science, like mathematics. They're flexible, pliable disciplines, not rigid ones.

No science is "rigid" in the sense of inflexible. Any science must, of necessity, be open to accepting new evidence; it must be falsifiable. Without that, it becomes dogma, not science.

As for these particular sciences -- they are a good deal more exact than you seem to think. Not only that, but they do not work in isolation -- they work in conjunction with numerous other disciplines, including physics, chemistry, geology... even, at times, such things as plate techtonics have impact on them. And, again, while popular books on the subjects may be a good deal more loose, the actual research papers on them are not. Again, they are subjected to peer review not only by peers in their own field, but from the scientific community at large, which constantly hones and refines the methodologies and results of these and countless other fields. As has been pointed out before, there is no such thing as an "exact" science in the older, nineteenth-century-positivist meaning of the term, but you'll find that even the more "flexible" sciences have to meet some very strict standards in order to have any theories accepted.

Speculation, on the other hand, simply has to have a lot of words which sound as if they mean something.

Not leading down, but leading up, the garden path, mate. Up to the temple. The temple of greater truth. Not the narrow, restrictive truth of closed-minded tunnel visionists.

Again, this is simply empty verbiage; mystification (not even mysticism proper). It is obfuscation, throwing out red herrings to confuse issues, not winnowing through the chaff to get to the kernels of truth. It is pseudoscientific gobbledygook, nothing more.

As I said, get the facts straight -- all the pertinent facts which have stood up to rigorous testing -- and then, where you find gaps, ask questions. Don't propose answers based on empty speculation, myth, or folklore (unless these latter are in fact supported by some independent evidence), but on what is the most likely solution to those gaps; then look at whether those solutions themselves stand up to such rigorous examination. If not, they're not worth a good damn. If they do, then you may be on the road to something.

And by all means, if you can find something which genuinely stands up to such testing, and which backs up your proposal, present it; if it has substance behind it, that is precisely the sort of thing which makes scientists turn handsprings, as it makes things even more exciting, opening up new realms of discussion, exploration, and research in the fields they love.

But until you can do that, please don't continue to issue such utter nonsense as being on a par with the answers which have been found by such slow, arduous, painstaking effort -- it is an insult to intelligent researchers in the field (not to mention people genuinely interested in finding out the truth of the matter), and one they most certainly don't deserve.

Nope. As I said earlier, this discussion - or, for that matter, any discussion - should be allowed to remain free and open. Guys are allowed to make their own judgement. And it aint exclusive to those with the most highly knowledgeable views, either self-supposed or other wise.

Nope. I dont think anybody in particular should feel that he ought to make an attempt to close things down. Even if he in particular finds things in it that may be unpalatable to his own personal taste.

Hey, this thread was never meant to be an out an out academic paper on the subject. I think anyone here has enough sense to realise that. It's supposed to be a light hearted, light mooded discourse. Just like the other threads, like: 'Rome vs Sparta'; 'Which Greek God are you?'; 'Which was the greatest ancient empire?'; 'Who's the coolest general?' etc. etc. Guys are free to throw in their silliest opinions on the matter.

Nope. It has, also, nothing to do with supremacism, superiorism or anything like that. Just in case anyone is thinking along that line, or is worried about that. It's just like, something for guys to talk about. No need for anyone to get fired up over nothing.

Just learn to relax, dude. Your heart needs it.

Last edited:
Don't propose answers based on empty speculation, myth, or folklore (unless these latter are in fact supported by some independent evidence),

I'm not going to say that I agree with Dreamhunter's historical views or standpoints, but I do believe, and agree, that in history research, in archeology and anthropology and historical based sociology, myths and folklore are very important to understanding and studying the cultures, societies, and lives of ancient peoples. Entire schools of study are devoted to it, and it is a large part of how we define what the ancient people did and why they did it. Therefore I have to disagree with your statement there as you make it appear as though mythology and folklore are not part of scientific research, but they are, not in the context of forming modern systems of belief, attitudes, and behavior but in the context of forming an understanding of ancient systems of belief, attitudes, and behavior.

However since there really isn't any historical evidence in myth and folklor to justify Dreamhunter's point, I don't agree with him, either. And what I mean by that is that there are no glyphs etched in stone, there are no ancient scrolls or other culture tales of conquest, there are no super old bones or clothes or bowls or flintnaps or spears, and so forth and so on....

No, I dont want anything untrue to become true. I just want for what was really, really true not to become untrue.

Yes, you can fit a square peg into a round hole. No, you dont have to scrunch your eyes.

All you need to do is, make the square peg a bit roundish, n the round hole a bit squarish, n then ... voila ... it fits!

And I severely disagree with all of this.

Truth, first off, is relative to the individual perceiving and interpreting it, and it is relative to what can and can not be physically contained and categorized scientifically. For example, you say these people existed in this place, but I find a bowl that shows they existed on the other side of the world. Possible slave trade or travel or a million other possibilities, but in both instances truth has been altered based on what has been individually perceived and scientifically categorized. Neither of us may be right, in fact it could have been a traveling salesman from a whole nother culture that left the bowl.

You can not, in historical evidence, alter the findings to fit your perception of the truth. You can not say that since I found a bowl on another continent that it proves that your theoretical people existed on the first continent, because....

That's just bad science.

No science is "rigid" in the sense of inflexible. Any science must, of necessity, be open to accepting new evidence; it must be falsifiable. Without that, it becomes dogma, not science.

But until you can do that, please don't continue to issue such utter nonsense as being on a par with the answers which have been found by such slow, arduous, painstaking effort -- it is an insult to intelligent researchers in the field (not to mention people genuinely interested in finding out the truth of the matter), and one they most certainly don't deserve.
When I was speaking of mathematics being a rigid subject: examples are 2 + 3 = 5; the cubic root of 8 is 2; etc. These things are absolutely immutable, they are not going to change, even for the next 10,000 millennia, are they? Now, that was what I meant by rigidity.

Nope. The people who are genuinely interested in finding the truth are not going to stop at one net thread n take what's in it as the gospel. No way, mate. No fear of that.

The intelligent researchers are going to feel insulted by some nonsense uttered by someone called 'Dreamhunter' in some net forum? Right. They are so thin skinned, huh? So emotionally fragile n insecure, are they? Wow!

Now then, there is a saying for this sort of thing: "Those who matter dont mind. Those who mind dont matter."

Last edited:
And what I mean by that is that there are no glyphs etched in stone, there are no ancient scrolls or other culture tales of conquest, there are no super old bones or clothes or bowls or flintnaps or spears, and so forth and so on....
Wasnt Troy a culture tale of conquest? A very, very ancient tale. Of conquest, of Trojans, or Thracians, or Turks, by Greeks.

But then, the Greeks would insist that, it was a conquest of Asiatic Greeks by Hellenic Greeks. Still, the jury is still out, whether Trojans were really Greeks, or another people, even perhaps related to Hittites.

You know, the Greeks called Thracia, 'Trakia', while the modern western, Anatolian Turks call their country today, 'Turkiye'. Sounds so darn close, doesnt it?

Last edited:
And ca-ca means **** in Spanish, and in English it doesn't mean anything at all really, so I don't really see your point, and I don't think that Troy has anything to do with my point....

But its all good!

Did you know cows can jump over the moon. They can't really but they could if you want them too, or could they, maybe dude, just chill. Rock on... or not. Hat sounds like mat. There's a Georgia in America and Europe, China is a country and something you can eat dinner off, Mars is also confectionary. Makes you think doesn't it???!!!????

Did Alexander visit the moon? He might have found the buried space ship at Ankor wat. You can't disprove it... so chill out... hey I can do this all day.

So it seems.

Urien - and GOD is DOG spelled backwards.

Now then, there is a saying for this kind of thing: "Empty vessels make the most noise."

J

Unfortunately Dreamhunter, there is actually a branch of science that can determine this and which does not leave a gap open for different answers - it is called Genetics.

The genetic evidence from y-chromosome and mitochondrial DNA does broadly agrees with main theories already built up from the linguistic and archaeological evidence, especially toolmaking. It shows that Europe was settled in several successive waves of migration from South Asia and the Caucasus, at the earliest around 50,000 years ago. The timings of these mass migrations also broadly fit known Palaeoclimatological events. It is also possible to accurately measure the date when mutations such as blond hair and blue eyes first occurred. There is far more "immutable" evidence than you give credit for and little room for spurious theories based upon relatively modern legends.

I'm no expert on Phylogeography, and while there are some arguments over the details, it flies in the face of your theories, and it is something that can be most definitely scientifically proven. I suggest you read some current research on it and then get back to us.

I'm not going to say that I agree with Dreamhunter's historical views or standpoints, but I do believe, and agree, that in history research, in archeology and anthropology and historical based sociology, myths and folklore are very important to understanding and studying the cultures, societies, and lives of ancient peoples. Entire schools of study are devoted to it, and it is a large part of how we define what the ancient people did and why they did it. Therefore I have to disagree with your statement there as you make it appear as though mythology and folklore are not part of scientific research, but they are, not in the context of forming modern systems of belief, attitudes, and behavior but in the context of forming an understanding of ancient systems of belief, attitudes, and behavior.

Dustie: You left out the phrase in parentheses: unless supported by some independently existing evidence. Yes, folklore, mythology, etc., have their value in studying cultures (including our own); I said that earlier. And yes, they can provide clues even about historical facts at times. But they are not a good basis for putting forth any speculation scientifically unless they are also supported by independent evidence. The best they can be, in such circumstances, it put forth as a very tentative hypothesis with the full realization that they are immediately subject to dismissal should contrary evidence arise.

Now, supporting evidence can be current cultural trends which echo aspects of the "history" included in the myth, or artifacts, or analagous phenomena in current cultures which can be studied as living systems, or any number of other things. But they cannot work as a sound basis for a hypothesis when taken in vacuo. They can intrigue, they can excite speculation, they can suggest possibilities... but from that point on, genuine evidence must emerge, or all they can ever remain is hypotheses. And, of course, the less evidence such a hypothesis has, and the more it conflicts with the evidence which has been gathered, the more likely it is to be pure moonshine.
When I was speaking of mathematics being a rigid subject: examples are 2 + 3 = 5; the cubic root of 8 is 2; etc. These things are absolutely immutable, they are not going to change, even for the next 10,000 millennia, are they? Now, that was what I meant by rigidity.

Well, no, they're not. Theoretically at least, they too are subject to certain conditions. Mathematics is a construct; it has no genuine basis in the real world beyond simple arithmetic -- and even that is subject to alterations in the known physical laws. They are unlikely to change, but it is not impossible that they may change. Nothing in science is absolute, because, as I said before, it must be falsifiable. Mathematics is a system of signifiers, nothing more. The facts supporting those things signified change, the value of the signifiers change. It's as simple as that.

As for the rest: No, they won't be insulted. Nor will they be particularly interested in anything I have to say, either. But because they don't take offense does not mean such comments are not insults issued. They very much are, because, in putting such baseless speculation on a par with the results of decades, even centuries, of research, is tantamount to saying that a child's views of geopolitics is as valid as a real-world basis for understanding the subject as the views issued by someone who has spent their entire life studying and/or practicing the subject. It is promoting ignorance over genuine knowledge and understanding. And before you go saying that it isn't, all of your phraseology says that it is. The entire "higher truth" nonsense, to take only one example, is a glaring instance of this. It is obfuscation masquerading as openmindedness. But the thing is, a truly open mind is open to evidence, open to those things which have a genuine basis in reality; it does not dismiss those (which is what you have consistently done throughout the thread by the way you address them) in favor of a web of empty words and, again, baseless speculation -- especially speculation which flies in the face of what has genuinely been ascertained.

Yes, you can talk about the subject all you want. No one is saying otherwise. But don't pretend to actually be interested in finding the truth when you dismiss every scrap of genuine evidence in favor of such things. That, too, is an insult to those you are conversing with.

And a word about truth; I'm afraid I have to disagree with you. Dustie; truth -- genuine truth, that is, not the misty misuse of the word which has become so common these days -- is not relative. Interpretation of the facts may well be; truth is not.

truth -- 1. The state or character of being true in relation to being, knowledge, or speech. 2. Conformity to fact or reality. 3. Conforming to rule, standard, pattern, or ideal. 4. Steadfastness; sincerity. 5. That which is true; a statement or belief that corresponds to the reality. 6. Fact; reality. 7. A disposition to tell only what is true; veracity. 8. Fidelity; constancy.

Now, save for those entries dealing with human behavior (3, 4, 7, 8), the main point of each definition of the word is conformity to reality as an objectively existing entity. There is no such thing as a "higher truth" than truth. There is such a thing as a construct which appeals more to the emotions or imagination, or which is more fulfilling to them than the bald reality may be, but this is a far cry from truth. There is such a thing as being honestly mistaken in your statements based on your knowledge of the existing facts. This is truth only insofar as it is honesty; it is not truth in the sense meant so often above: the actual state of affairs, the reality itself.

Now now lets not be rude.

Also if Europe was settled and people moved up from the southern regions, I suppose that its possible not all of them moved in the same place or to the same region, right? I mean the possibility exists that there was a human tribe of fair skinned peoples who had advanced technologies that made them seem superior....wait..thats the Atlanteans...

Although I find it interesting that there are people, smart doctorate people, who spend their lives researching Atlantis....which is just all a myth anyways and can't possibly exist since no hard science ever discovered it?

People seem vehemently against the idea of a pre-iranian human tribe called the Aryans, but willing to accept that there was a supreme utopian culture of electricity using fancy peoples that lived on an island?

And for some interesting thoughts and relations to SFF:

Vril Society - Crystalinks

So you don't have to click the link:

Fictional Representations
Aryan master race ideology was common throughout the educated and literate strata of the Western world until after World War II. Such theories are commonplace in early 20th Century fantasy literature. For example, a distinct belief in the status of Aryan humanity as the "master race" underlies much of the work of fantasists such as H. P. Lovecraft and Robert E. Howard's literature. Howard's most famous creation, Conan the Barbarian is supposed to have lived between the fall of Atlantis and the "rise of the sons of Arya" (i.e. the Aryans). In his story Wings In The Night, Howard also wrote,

• The ancient empires fall, the dark-skinned peoples fade and even the demons of antiquity gasp their last, but over all stands the Aryan barbarian, white-skinned, cold-eyed, dominant, the supreme fighting man of the earth.
In other cases, while the phrase "master race" itself is seldom used, the inhumane and barbaric treatment of those not belonging to the "master race" in the fictional fascisms seems to imply that such an ideology is present. S.M. Stirling's Domination of the Draka is a fictional empire which is explicitly based on the "master race" concept. After World War I in the Draka universe, the Draka citizens adopt an ideology which calls for all non-Drakan humanity to be reduced to chattel slavery. The Chosen, from Stirling's previous General series (which no doubt inspired the Draka) portrays perhaps a more realistic look at the "master race" concept, including the consequences of such a policy on a society. The Chosen, who treat other peoples with contempt, calling them "animals", are eventually destroyed by their own slaves, the lowest of the low, despite the Chosen's superior weapons, training, and centuries of eugenic breeding. The fictional fascist "Freedom Party" that rules the Confederate States of America in Harry Turtledove's American Empire series of novels also echoes the concept.
The James Bond film Moonraker is another fictionalized account of a master race - the Adolf Hitler-like megalomanic villain Sir Hugo Drax pre-selected a diverse group of astronaut trainees to become the progenitors of a master race that will repopulate Earth after the planet has been nerve-gassed. Similar ideas are explored in science fiction. An episode of The X-Files is entitled Herrenvolk. It presents the story of Nazi scientists saved by Americans after the War - during the Operation Paperclip - and their connections with aliens, which led them to successfully create a superior race of alien/men hybrids. Likewise, in The Other Side, an episode of Stargate SG-1, the Eurondans are portrayed as white supremacists who have created a purified Nordic-like population, planning to annihilate other peoples, who they refer to as "Breeders" because of their indiscriminate breeding, in rejection of eugenics.

Although I find it interesting that there are people, smart doctorate people, who spend their lives researching Atlantis
Please don't confuse being smart with having sense. They are semi-independent attributes. (And having a developed - or even an overdeveloped - sense of curiosity is something else again.)

Although I find it interesting that there are people, smart doctorate people, who spend their lives researching Atlantis....which is just all a myth anyways and can't possibly exist since no hard science ever discovered it?

To piggyback on the Big Bear here a bit... not only that, but there is a rather large difference between investigating something for which evidence hasn't been found, and continuing to investigate or support an idea for which plenty of contrary evidence has been found; i.e., evidence which strongly indicates that the model where said situation supposedly existed simply doesn't fit the facts. (Of course, when you go talking about the "superscientific" empire of Atlantis, rather than an island city-state or nation which was wiped out by a natural disaster, then you are stepping over into the "pure balderdash" realm of things. The origins of that Atlantis can be traced to quite modern times, and to darned near their primary sources; which rather leaves a gaping hole in the idea of this being a secret from the ancient past....)

As for vril... poor old Bulwer. Remembered for this, an opening sentence considered one of the worst in the English language, and one (very good) ghost story. Lo! how are the mighty fallen....

People seem vehemently against the idea of a pre-iranian human tribe called the Aryans, but willing to accept that there was a supreme utopian culture of electricity using fancy peoples that lived on an island?

Sorry to butt in, yet I'd just like to make something clear. Atlantis is not a myth in the accepted sense-- it is something that Plato created in order to get his ideas across in his written dialogue The Republic. It appears in nothing before this and is not part of the general body of Greek myths, ie- there is no 'tradition of Atlantis'. No serious Classical scholar is trying to prove its existence. In fact, my lecturers went to great lengths to disabuse first years of this common misconception.

Plato doesn't mention electricity. Perhaps Madame Blavatsky does- I really couldn't say.

And please no one suggest that the Minoans are Atlantis, because there's a whole set of actual myths based on the Minoans where they are referred to as 'The Minoans' or 'Cretans'.

Sorry everyone. Bit of a bugbear of mine. Carry on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back