2.07: The Witchfinder

ctg

weaver of the unseen
So Morgana, Merlin and Gaius almost bought the last ticket to a show at the underworld. Although I suspect the witchun...er... witchfinder is actually the rising star in the hottest show in the nether-realm. Well, maybe he'll get to repeat his most famous lines: "Can you prove it?"

I mean what on Earth he was thinking, and why Merlin simply said: "No." Maybe Merlin could had said, "Yes, I certainly can. But what do you know about witches any ways?"
"I know they burn," the witchfinder replies, looking Merlin murderously.
Merlin grins and says, "Aha, what else burns?"
"More witches."

But in a serious note, that was a flaw in Merlin's character. He simply couldn't say yes and undermine the witchfinder ridiculous questioning. The dragon certainly was right, when he said, "I cannot help you." At there, the dragon was speaking the truth. Without Gaius help Merlin simply was a helpless boy. Sorry to say a boy, but he certainly wasn't a man because a man would have found the answers on his own, not go down a desperate road. I was almost expecting the dragon to burst laughing like he did on the last episode.

Then again, the way how Merlin solved the problem at the end was kind of cheesy. I mean if he was able to change the contents in the witchfinder's locker, then why he couldn't conjure a simple spell and make him to speak the truth? Maybe the reason is that he hasn't found or got in that bit in his spell book.

What do you think, would that had made the ending a bit more interesting?

But Merlin couldn't prove that he didn't see it.

It's difficult to prove a negative, in the best of circumstances. Proving that you didn't see something is not at all the best of circumstances, even if you didn't see it (which Merlin did).

Besides, I don't think Merlin (would have) wanted to make a fuss or have a debate; he is meant to be just a servant boy.

As for the ending: my main niggle was that there were far too many artefacts in that cupboard.

Yah the artefacts were a little over the top in the quality and the fact that they all looked like napin rings ;) I think also the toad and burning dagger part were quite clear (to my eyes ) to be the work of a second magician and not the witchfinder (I mean seriously what magician spells a toad out of his own mouth and his own dagger to burn his hand?) and I was surprised that Uther didin't pick up on this fact as well nor Arthur.

As for spells I recall that in most cases magic on inanimate things is often a simple affair in most cases whilst changing the mind or controling another person is often a more complex and powerfull magic. It might also be that its an avenue of magic that Merlin has not (or does not want to) follow as yet - certainly control over the elements and physical things are bits that he perfers to use - more direct I think and simpler to work out but also less invasive (which fits with his personality)..

I was surprised that Uther didin't pick up on this fact as well nor Arthur.
As I said last week, Uther's judgement has been seriously lacking in recent weeks, and why his people still follow and love him, for any reason other than the fact of him being a despot, is completely beyond me. And yet they do - "We must tell the King!"

I agree with the above comments about Merlin being shown in a poor light. I also think that, since he existed, the Witchfinder should probably have been called a lot earlier in the series - like last Season, when there was a 'warlock of the week' in Camelot - and not because of some smoke rings - but that was explained by his convenient travels abroad.

He was not a real Witchfinder. He only took advantage of kings for money.

The scene with the toad was really hilarious. :D

But he identified Arthur and Morganna as the magic users very quickly. Yah he cheats to get his own way, but I think he certainly was the real article - though even more driven (possibly) than Uther (and possibly a little bit more sane ;) )

He was for sure very perceptive of the characters. It's like thieves on the streets who look into your face and take your pocket in the same time. No, he was not the real thing, in my opinion.