Dexter

woodsman

Double-stuff Oreos!
Anyone else fond of Miami's most effective serial killer?

I absolutely love this series. It's just about the only fiction (politics aside) I watch on TV now.

So refreshing, great acting, plot and although I don't think it's always meant to be, funny. :rolleyes:

Any other fans? Any thoughts?

Fond of Dexter isn't really enough for me, I love him, I mean, it!

The first season wasn't as good I think as it is now, but that's normal. I imagine it takes the writers awhile to really find thier groove, and the doakes character was not a good actor. Evryone else though, superb! I loved Jimmy Smits' addition to season 3.

I love the series too but as usual in Australia, the free to air stations are so conservative and it's broadcasting is erratic :mad:. I can't believe they decided to show season three, though I am grateful.

I'm starting to get a bit worried that it's turning formulaic, you know, he finds someone who understands him and then offs them.

Yeah tis a bit. I actually really enjoyed the first season Doakes may not be the greatest acted part but he brought some variety and the twists were pretty well hidden.

Hopefully season four will break out of any plot circles and remain fresh.

Dexter has been a huge fav of mine since the first ep. Michael C Hall does so great job that i can never go near the books before the series end.

S1,S2 was better than S3 but having seen 6 eps of S4 i must say its fresh,exciting again.

Trust me its not as formulatic as season 3 which was weak at times with his new friend that was a twisted killer too.

I love the series. But it is best unedited. Of course they did air it here in the USA on national TV (during the summer I believe) but it was edited in which I didn't watch it. I prefer it on Showtime. It's not as good when it's cut up. LOLOL;)

I actually watched the edited version of season 1 on CBS when it broadcast a while ago. Based on that, I fell in love with the show. I just finished season 2 and am blown away by how good it was. Can't wait to start on season 3.

You must watch the unedited versions of the first two seasons. They are the best series and there is no point to edited version since they remove everything that make Dexter shocking,original.

I have read what they have done.

Its not a teen drama its about a sick serial killer with a code his father gave him that keeps in control.

Just watched the first 5 episodes of season 4 and loving it hugely! This is going to be a great season I feel.

I think I should get the DVD's then, I didn't even think about TV stations editing- duh! Finally finished season 3 here so I think the DVD's will be the way to go.

I love this show! Michael C Hall is outstanding as Dexter.

IMO the only significant weak point in the series is his wife. I can't remember her name, no matter how hard I try. Julie Benz (who did a good job playing vampire Darla in Buffy) gets more and more annoying with each episode. That syrupy-sweet, whiny voice! I wouldn't blame Dexter if he decided to introduce her to his Dark Passenger. :(

Season 4 is great though. John Lithgow is deliciously evil as Trinity. He's such a treat to watch. I loathe Trinity but at the same time I want him to stay because it's such a pleasure watching Lithgow. Trinity scares me witless and I love it. :)

Yeah, Trinity is superbly written - so unpredictable. The twists and turns this season have me feeling a little travel sick.

I love Dexter. I've only seen Seasons 1 and 2 (on DVD), but I'm looking to see Season 3 soon (every time I check at the rental store, though, they only have disc 2 and not disc 1, so I'm waiting...wish I could buy it, as I did the first two seasons, but can't afford it at the moment).

The writing is great, and I love Dexter's inner monologue. It is an amazing accomplishment that the writers have taken a character that we should hate because of the things he does and makes the audience love him.

I love this show! Michael C Hall is outstanding as Dexter.

IMO the only significant weak point in the series is his wife. I can't remember her name, no matter how hard I try. Julie Benz (who did a good job playing vampire Darla in Buffy) gets more and more annoying with each episode. That syrupy-sweet, whiny voice! I wouldn't blame Dexter if he decided to introduce her to his Dark Passenger. :(

I don't like her either. In fact I didn't care for Darla much at all on Buffy. I think it's her voice. It's too girlie. Boy do I sound conceited or what? :eek:

Anyone see the ending ?

Heh i have always liked Rita. She is very nice and made Dexter get feelings like a human when he saw he loved her,the kids.

She is a huge part of the series.

I've been delaying watching the last two episodes for the past few days.

Wow! The ending... mixed emotions now.

I guess they had to do it. It was getting a bit formulaic.

Edit: Will she reappear as a shade like his dad?

Dexter's wedding was the last episode of season 3.

Season 4 just finished. You want a spoiler for the whole season?

Well, IIRC, it starts with Deborah's FBI agent lover (Lundy) coming back to Miami to investigate a serial killer whom he suspects has been active for years. He calls the killer "Trinity Killer" because he kills in cycles of three - a young woman in a bath tub with her femoral artery sliced open, a middle-aged mother of two jumping to her death, and an older father of two bludgeoned to death.

Dexter finds out that a recent bathtub death occurred in the same house where a similar murder happened 30 years earlier. He's intrigued by the serial killer's ability to evade law enforcement for so long, and thinks he can learn something from him on how to survive.

Then Deborah and Lundy are shot. Lundy dies, but Deborah survives. However, she didn't see the shooter, who shot her from behind. She thinks that the "Trinity Killer" was the shooter because Lundy was getting close to solving the case.

Dexter, working on another lead using Lundy's material, manages to find out where the "Trinity Killer" will strike again. He goes there, but is too late to stop the killer from bludgeoning the victim to death. He follows the killer to his house, but when he arrives, he finds out that the killer has a wife and 2 teen-aged kids. He feels that he can learn from Trinity on how to balance having a family with being a serial killer, something Harry's code tells him will not work, and he works to get close to him.

Dexter uses an alias to approach Trinity for advice, and after some initial good advice from Trinity that he takes, Dexter begins to realise that Trinity's not really a happy family man. He's actually an abusive psychopath whose family is deathly afraid of him. Dexter is determined to kill Trinity with his own hands, but a series of events causes him to fail to get the opportunity.

Trinity then kidnaps a 10-year old boy, whom Dexter manages to save. He finds out that Trinity actually starts his killing cycle by burying a 10-year old boy alive first to "preserve the child's innocence". Meanwhile, Deborah realises that her shooter wasn't a tall man that fits Trinity's profile, and suspects that the shooter is actually the reporter lover of her partner. The reporter's DNA shows that she's the daughter of Trinity, and they hold her for questioning.

Dexter is still determined to be the one who kills Trinity, so he plants evidence to mislead the Miami PD into chasing the wrong suspect. The reporter is released, but she later admits her guilt to Deborah. Deborah refuses to forgive her, and the reporter commits suicide in front of her.

Trinity manages to find out Dexter works in the Miami PD and confronts him in the police station, where he finds out his real identity. Dexter chases him and manages to sedate him in his van, but before he can kill him, he is stopped by the sheriff department because of a traffic offense. He becomes violent when they are determined to pursue to take action against him. He's arrested, but is released later when Rita comes to pick him up.

After he's freed, he finds out that Trinity is gone. He convinces Rita to go on vacation first, and he'll follow her there later in the day. He goes to confront Trinity in his house, but he finds out he's gone. A police SWAT team arrives unexpected, but Dexter manages to pretend he's working in the garage for forensics. He notices the shattered windscreen of Trinity's car, and realises that Trinity will go and collect his car later. He goes to the shop, removes the oilcap, and hides in the trunk.

When Trinity's car breaks down by the roadside, Dexter comes out and puts a sleeper hold on him. He then kills Trinity, and goes home, prepared to meet Rita for their vacation. However, a message arrives on his phone with a message from Rita. He calls her back, but realises her phone is in her bag in the house. Just then, his young son, Harrison, cries from the bathroom. He rushes in and sees Rita sitting in a bathtub crimson with blood. He picks up Harrison and rushes out of the bathroom, feeling guilty about Rita's death.

Guess that's about all the main points I can remember.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D H P Lovecraft 8
Princess Ivy Book Discussion 10
Randolph H P Lovecraft 13