Sir Terry awarded honorary doctorate...

Pyan

Noli oblivisci linteum!
Staff member
Supporter
...and for Services to Literature, no less.

Pratchett to be awarded doctorate

Fantasy author Sir Terry Pratchett has received an honorary doctorate from Winchester University.

The Discworld creator, who lives in Salisbury, Wiltshire, accepted the award for his services to literature at a ceremony at Winchester Cathedral.

BBC NEWS | Pratchett to be awarded doctorate

Erm... I don't want to rain on anyone's parade but these Honorary Degrees/Doctorates are really meaningless - simply a means of getting publicity for the educational establishment, rather than an endorsement of an individual's worth. The list of people with Honorary this, that and the others from one-time polys would fill a book. (And before I am devoured by Discworld devotees, yes I think TP is very talented, and yes I have many - most? - of his books. This isn't a criticism of him or his abilities.) And Winchester Uni? For heaven's sake, this is not Oxbridge you know.

So, yes, nice for him. Nice for the students and the academic[al]s (unseen and otherwise) who were able to meet him. But let's not get carried away here, folks.

J

How would one address him once he's received his doctorate?

Sir Terry Dr Pratchett? :D Great news! Though I think extraordinary talents are beyond any academic degrees, unless someone set up the ranks for genius or, in pTerry's case, wizard. :)

How would one address him once he's received his doctorate?

Still Sir Terry. It's an Honorary Doctorate and therefore has no standing. Just as when an American is given an Honorary Knighthood he can't call himself 'Sir Charles Whatever' - though I think in that instance he can add the letters after his name ie 'Charles Whatever KCMG'.

If it were a real Doctorate, ie he'd got a PhD, I think it's 'Dr Sir Terry'. Certainly it's 'Professor Sir Roger'.

J

But, TJ, would you rather Sir Terry - someone who has brought pleasure to many - received this honourary award than some brainless Sleb, or a Holiday Hero, people who tend to be self-absorbed and interested only in their own happiness?

Or would you rather that honourary awards were dropped entirely?

Definitely better for Sir T to get one than certain other personages who have *cough* 'written' books recently, but I'm willing to bet that someone, somewhere, is planning to give some kind of honorary award to that brainless piece of foul-mouthed, silicon-enhanced, publicity-seeking... er.... *The Judge takes a deep breath and remembers that four-lettered language is to be used sparingly* ... person... because it would be a great photo-op.

As I said before, it's a nice thing for Sir T and for those attending. In the same way it would be nice thing if they had a big party and invited him, because they like his books. Or they wrote him a letter expressing their admiration for his work for dementia sufferers as well as his books. The 'doctorate' just doesn't mean anything.

Not all honorary awards are worthless. The honorary knighthoods, for instance, have real meaning -- the recipients just can't use the titles unless they are British citizens. And sometimes the hon. degrees are used to give recognition to people who deserve it. But most often it's just publicity for the institution.

If I sound snidey, I don't mean to. Though I have to say I worked bloody hard for my degree (not a doctorate -- I couldn't work that hard) and to see them thrown out like confetti to people in the public eye for no other reason than that they are celebrities is, shall we say, frustrating.

It's a bit like** the difference between an author who has gone through the agonising process of re-write after re-write, critique after merciless critique, and after long years of effort gets a publisher, and then is confronted by next-door neighbour who has self-published a novel which is crap - but everyone says 'Oh, he's a writer just like you'. You know there's a difference. Anyone in the business knows there's a difference. But your mum wants to know why it took you 3 years and him 3 days.

J

** this is assumption of course. It's just how I think I would feel... :( :mad: