Ramsey Campbell - Thoughts?

Fried Egg

I stumbled upon mention of this author of horror who is supposed to be very good, but more along the lines of Lovecraft than of King. Can anyone tell me more? Where would be a good place to start with this author?

Campbell began by imitating Lovecraft, and he still does the occasional Lovecraftian story (including his fairly recent The Darkest Part of the Woods); but he has long since gone his own way, with an ability to evoke urban horror that Lovecraft would not have been able to achieve, in my opinion. This is not to say his work isn't supernatural -- it often is, or hints at such; but that his settings are very contemporary and rooted firmly in the urban milieu he knows best.

As for whose work his most resembles at this point... I suppose the closest would be Robert Aickman; but there are strong differences, as well.

Where to start? That's difficult to say. Campbell is quite prolific, and not everything he has written is of the best quality; but a substantial amount is very good indeed. Nor have I read everything he has written (though I hope to remedy that over time). So my suggestions will have to come with the caveats that I may be missing some things worthwhile....

Collections:

If you can find it, get hold of a copy of his transitional collection, Demons by Daylight (1973). It has a piece or two of Lovecraftian horror, but already very much showing Campbell's own voice; while there are quite a few pieces of a more experimental and modernistic nature which are almost unclassifiable. I would also suggest Dark Companions (1982), Scared Stiff: Tales of Sex and Death (1987); Alone with the Horrors (a retrospective overview; 1993); or Ghosts and Grisly Things (1998). All of these will give you a good sampling of Campbell's variety in the shorter forms, and most are either in print or have fairly recent printings, and tend to be quite inexpensive (in the main). Or, if you'd like a glimpse of his shorter Lovecraftian writings throughout his career, go for Cold Print (expanded edition, 1993), which collects together many of these.

Novels:

The Face that Must Die (I'd suggest an edition post-1983, when the missing text was restored); The Parasite (1980); The Hungry Moon (1986); Midnight Sun (1990); Needing Ghosts (1990); The House on Nazareth Hill (1996); The Darkest Part of the Woods (2003); The Overnight (2004); or The Grin of the Dark (2007).

Cambell isn't for everyone; his ambiguity is a sticking point with some readers; but I'd say he's one of the most literate, subtle, and powerful writers working in the field of the modern weird tale....

Thanks, once again, for your detailed response and recommendations. It may well prove to be more a case of what I can find rather than picking and choosing but it is is good to be armed with some idea, thanks.

I have the collections Demons by Daylight and Cold Print as well as his recent novel The Grin of the Dark, which I've just finished reading. I've also read a few of his stories scattered in various anthologies over the years. The thing I've found with Campbell is that because of his varied voice and range of themes it can be quite difficult to pin down any 'quintessential' quality to his work. He can do subtle and schlock horror with equal aplomb, though his work (what I've read of it) tends toward the subtle end of the spectrum. At times, his work might almost be classed as magical realism (being that the supernatural element is implied and nebulous).

As regards recommendations, I'll second Demons by Daylight, if you can get hold of it. The Grin of the Dark, the only novel of his I've read, is worth picking up too, though I felt it could have been trimmed down a tad. Still, there are moments of genuine excellence, and Campbell was extremely proficient at evoking a mounting sense of disorientation and dread in the reader. I'd probably avoid his earlier Lovecraftian efforts unless you have a penchant for that sort of thing; personally I found them, not badly written, so much as been-there-done-that territory.

I'd probably avoid his earlier Lovecraftian efforts unless you have a penchant for that sort of thing; personally I found them, not badly written, so much as been-there-done-that territory.

I'd say that's a fair estimation. I think where Campbell began to find his own voice, and do genuinely good Lovecraftian tales (good because they weren't imitations, but rather took Lovecraftian themes and utilized them for Campbell's own concerns, while nonetheless remaining respectful and even faithful, in many instances, to his influence) was with the short story, "Cold Print", where he draws the parallel between the alien, indifferent universe of Lovecraftian cosmology with the similarly alien and indifferent universe within. Several of his Lovecraftian offerings from that point on are well worth reading; but I'd agree that the earlier ones should only be picked up by those who are hardcore into the "Mythos", or who are so taken with Campbell they wish to read everything he's done....

Is he strong in collections, i didnt see anything in Midnight Sun that makes Campbell as the highly rated horror writer he seems to be.

Not that i read much of that novel but i was thinking about trying shorter stories by several writers like him in his genre.

As noted, Connavar, Campbell's output is variable, and even his best work isn't going to be to everyone's taste. I'm not sure how far you got into the book, but the horror there is cumulative; it doesn't set in right away, but builds carefully and meticulously. The novel itself is uneven, but overall very good indeed.

As for collections -- as suggested, Demons by Daylight is a superb collection; while Alone with the Horrors is a very good retrospective of his career to that point. Ghosts and Grisly Things also contains some powerful work.

My suggestion would be to check out one of the collections mentioned above or in previous posts, or read his The Overnight or The Darkest Part of the Woods. But be aware that Campbell's type of horror is often very, very subtle and even ambiguous; he creates situations where the reader's worldview is put "out of joint" so that you feel uncomfortable, uneasy, and unsure of things about you. It is, as has been said, the art of paranoia... only this paranoia may be much more soundly based than the views to which it is opposed....

If you can find it, look up his short story "The Christmas Present". That will give you a good idea on whether or not his work is for you....

Thats why i wanted collections, a uneven novel might put me off an author who has other books that might be verygood,great and potential favs. A short story here and there shows clearly if an authors style,writing is for you or not.

Cumulative horror is not good when its a new author and you want to be impressed. Specially for someone like me who knows horror only in classic great authors. Modern authors i have read in collections or books are less than 5.

There are many anthologies in the library but sadly no horror ones only SF,fantasy.

I stumbled upon "Midnight Sun" second hand so I shall look forward to reading that.

J.D. : I thought of geting something by him . How do you consider the stories in Dark Companions , individualy ?

It's been many years since I last read Dark Companions, so I won't comment on each of the stories individually; but certainly "Down There", "Napier Court", "Mackintosh Willy" and "The Companion" are first-rate tales; while "The Man in the Underpass" is only marginally below them. Otherwise, as I recall, the collection is quite solid, often exceptional, with only a very few which fall below that level. It isn't quite as strong a collection as Demons by Daylight, but that may be because that particular collection is simply unique in a number of ways....

Agghh...I picked up "Demons by Daylight" in a second hand store today and put it back again because I couldn't remember the recommendations from this thread! It was a bargain price of £1.50 :mad:

I will have to go back there on Monday and hope it's still there...
Novels:

The Face that Must Die (I'd suggest an edition post-1983, when the missing text was restored); The Parasite (1980); The Hungry Moon (1986); Midnight Sun (1990); Needing Ghosts (1990); The House on Nazareth Hill (1996); The Darkest Part of the Woods (2003); The Overnight (2004); or The Grin of the Dark (2007).
Can I just clarify that you're actually recommending all these novels?

Yes. Campbell has been quite prolific, and out of all that, these are the ones I'd suggest first....

Yes. Campbell has been quite prolific, and out of all that, these are the ones I'd suggest first....
Good, I actually saw a few of these. He would appear to be one of those authors who's books are quite plentiful at my usual haunts...

I read The Doll Who Ate His Mother years ago, and apart from recalling that I quite liked it I really don't recall much about it. Probably the reason that I've never read any of his other work is that I haven't run across it.

Perhaps I need to look more closely for something of his to read.

Has anyone here read "The Stocking"? I just don't get what happened. Can anyone explain it to me?

I hadn't heard of Ramsay Campbell before, but I'm in an anthology with him now so when I get my copy I'll read his story 'The Hands.' I'm not sure what it's about. Hands, I suppose. :D