2.05: The Beauty and The Beast - Part I

ctg

weaver of the unseen
beutyorthebeast.jpg

Apparently Urther is going to get love smacked by one of these. What do you think? And what do you think is behind the power of the troll magic? I don't know the answer to either one of the questions, but I would welcome some speculation.

It was a good episode: much better writing and far superior acting then what we saw last year. All the actors has stepped on the plate and become truly something. I have hard time seeing to see the line between the acting and being the actual persons they portray. Especially Anthony Hopkins seems to blend into the role of Urther Pendragon so easily. Maybe the reason for this is that I've fallen to the magic of this series.

About the Lady Katrina and her incurable bone-disease. I though that if the troll would have stayed limping every once and while, it would have bought Gaius on her side. Then again, maybe the troll didn't think that far when she assumed her role and therefore, making it easier for Gaius to start doubt who she really is.

There was one flaw in this episode, although I suspect TEIN has spotten many others. That flaw was the troll magic. The writers haven't really fully explained what the troll magic really is, and I for one, thought that the magic they practiced were no dirrent to one Merlin wields. What do you think?

Did you find it strange that when Urther and Lady Katrina went for the picknick that they weren't surrounded by body-guards of any sorts. Taken all the has happened lately, wouldn't Urther be concerned of his and his guest safety?

My wish was granted. Urther married with a troll ! :D

The actrice was awesome as Lady Katrina. (sorry I don't know her name)

Did you find it strange that when Urther and Lady Katrina went for the picknick that they weren't surrounded by body-guards of any sorts. Taken all the has happened lately, wouldn't Urther be concerned of his and his guest safety?

Not really. Urthur is completely under the power of the troll with the necklace.

I did not expect any explanation for the troll magic. It was too funny watching the transformation and the performance of the actrice. :D

This was one of the best episodes so far. I can't wait to see the next episode.

Sarah Parish, was it? She played the big red spider thingy in the Dr Who Christmas Special with Catherine Tate[sp].

Especially Anthony Hopkins seems to blend into the role of Urther Pendragon so easily.
Incredible acting from Sir Anthony Hopkins (and top marks for the make-up crew): his impersonation of Anthony Head was amazing. ;):)

The look on Lady Katrina's face as Uther handed her a plate of (fresh) fava beans would have been worth the cost of employing Sir Anthony for the episode.

Or perhaps not....

Overall I liked it - but then I do normally like episodes which move away from "monster of the week". Hopefully the events that take place might move things a little bit on (as in they don't reset for the next episode).
Acting wise I do agree the whole cast has got more into their characters, with the younger actors shaping up nicly, though again we have the older leads stealing the show.

A few things though did stand out.

1) The guards part - as mentioned above - two things come to my mind here, the first is that they are eating near a bridge, so I am guessing they are not so far out in the woods as it might seem and thus the need for a heavy guard presence is not that great. Also whilst we only have a week often many more have passed in the story between episodes, so whilst it might seem that only yesterday they had massive bandit problems it might already be old news as far as the kingdom is concerned.

2) The Magic - honestly I think if one wants more meat to the magic it would have to come from a book, in TV land and with the pace of the merlin series I don't think they could put too much more detail in before they would start to lose the pace and thus the style.

3) Marrage in 1 day? Ok I undestand the magic is powerfull, but I think this should have been moved to a week at least if not two - it just seems very strange that the kingdom (and characters like Arthur) could accept and prepare for a wedding of their king in so short a timespan. This could have been done with shorter scenes and more buildup - with Gaius coming to his conclusion later in the timespan rather than at her arrival. That would have made things a little more belivable

4) Arthurs fight with the servant - I would have prefered this to have taken place outside of the main castle area, it just seems a little loud and noisy to go unnoticed - rather like Arthurs appearance in the hall at the end (though thank the powers he didn't do an "I Object" bit I was dreading that happening! ;)

I missed this episode! Didn't realise it was a two-parter. I'll have to go watch it now before the next ep tonight in that case.