SG-U: 1.04 - Darkness

ctg

weaver of the unseen
I'm a bit annoyed with this episode. I cannot understand why the producers chose to use so much of precious airtime to involve with the character introductions in the form of pod-casts. I really hated them interrupting the plot with these.

An observation, they had much more light in the ship, then what they usually would have in case of a power-loss in middle of the deep-space. Maybe the reason was for sake of the viewers, but I felt annoyed.

Why the Destiny chose that star-system? I think it wasn't for reason of habitable planets. I think the reason was because over the time, the Destiny has faced similar kind situations, where it have dived into a solar-system and charged batteries from the sun.

SG:U does seem to be becoming a fine series. Some pretty accurate science in there as well. Quite enjoying it.

I agree with you about the reason Destiny is there, although I'm expecting some dive through the out edge of the star for material rather than just a battery recharge (it's a drama thing).

I agree with the star-charging idea. They finished the episode with the Destiny heading ominously for the star (sun) but you I think that when Destiny's life support systems were activated it (the ship) realised it needs more power and so will charge itself from the sun.

Question, what method of power charging will it use from the sun, Solar energy (although that is a bit generalised) ok, heat from the sun, or solar wind power, or like Ktabic mentioned actually skim the surface and take energy from ? ionised hydrogen (ok I'm grasping at straws there) :)

I am enjoying the show though, I'm a big fan of the previous Stargates, and being a sky viewer have watched most of them more than once. I think it is shaping up to be very interesting.

Roll on episode 4!

Actually that was the episode four. I admit it was my mistake on thinking the dual-pilot episodes as a single long one.

By looking at these photos, I think it has to be either scooping the solar-flares or getting extra well charged from the sun's photon emitters. Although, I suspect that there's no solar-panels in the Destiny. Unless they fold from some extraordinarily weird place.

sgu2.jpg

sgu1.jpg

The photos do seem to be from "Light" rather than "Darkness". QED.

It's typically the way of starships to "lose power" and still end up with artificial gravity and life support working. At least they explained that this time. But, come on, relatively speaking how much more power does it take to generate artificial gravity (and even the most basic shields) than to keep a few (ok, few thousand) low-energy, long-life bulbs glowing a bit brighter. And next time the Ancients are building a long-service ship, perhaps some phased drop in power rather than an all-out cut to everything save life-support? (Or, maybe that's what they were already in, I suppose.)

Although the series is growing on me- in a good way, not in a mutant-fungus way, I'm still enjoying my games of 'spot-the-cliché'.

Even before they lost power, I was thinking - 'they'll lose power and be headed for a sun' - it's a staple of ship-based sci-fi. Then, when the ship started piloting itself to skim the atmosphere of the gas giant, I thought that surely the AI needed to do that would be able to correct for any variances and head them towards the planets. Because it came out heading towards the sun, I reckoned it must be intentional and I remembered the Doctor Who episode '42'. The ship in that used a 'solar scoop' to use stellar matter as fuel, and the idea isn't unheard of really.

I just wonder how long into the next episode it will take the characters to figure out what we've got a handle on. You'd think with the number of people, especially civilians, they've got on board, at least one must be into sci-fi.

If Eli hasn't figured it out within five minutes of the start, he's going to lose his geek credentials!

From the photos it looks like the girl Eli fancies (the late senator's daughter) likes the military guy. Sorry I don't know any names as yet.
Although in Darkness (ep4) they did introduce more of them, and their characters a bit through that whole camcorder dating service thingy.

Although in Darkness (ep4) they did introduce more of them, and their characters a bit through that whole camcorder dating service thingy.

To me, at least, it is a novel way of introducing the characters one at a time. But will only work for the first 5-10... after that it'll be old real soon!

I enjoyed camcorder it gave us a chance to know people who usually dont get most airtime. How is that annoying ?

It would be annoying,more cliche if they didnt do that and then only good soldier,the inner circle got most airtime in the stories as usual and we never got to know the others. Like the guy who had family who never left the state and looks like country boy.

The series is growing on me, im liking most of the characters. Eli being the underdog losing the hot girl to the military lead, Young,Rush,Greer?(black military guy).

Only minus so far really for me is the lack of planets they can explore. More eps like the sand planet.

I think the character are starting to feel their feet at this point, not sure what I think of the relationships coming up already. Eli isnt my favourite character I think the military guy is a stronger character