Unseen Academicals

Well I enjoyed this one, took me a bit to get into it but once I did it was very good. I was a bit nervous as I am not a football fan by any stretch of the imagination, so was pleasantly surprised at getting most of the jokes. Its a good solid funny book, I found Terry as funny and sharp as ever. Yep it was slow to start but once it got going!

I would reccomend this to most folks but I wouldnt reccomend it as a start to the series, think going postal and making money are slightly better for that.

Overall a good effort not the best ever but still a good very funny book.

I finally finished UA!

I took up the book again a few days ago and once I got to page 80 or thereabouts, realised I was rather enjoying it. Once I hit page 126 I was fully in Pratchett-mode.

UA is different to the other Discworld books. Apart from the introduction of new characters such as Glenda, Juliet, Trev and Mr Nutt (amongst others), old favourites are presented slightly differently. I think that if this were your first Discworld book you would gain a rather different impression of some of the established characters, than someone who read all or most of the series.

For example: There is a scene where Vetinari laughs quite spontaneously. I was so surprised that I re-read that part several times. I don't think Vetinari has laughed out loud in any of the previous books (correct me if I'm wrong). He is much more intimidating and "tyranty" in the earlier books. I'm not complaining about this, just noting what I see as a change.

I thought the revelation of Mr Nutt's true self was a bit of a let-down but not disappointing enough to sour me on the book.

My favourite character was Glenda. That woman has moxie. I like her. I hope TP includes her (and Mr Nutt) in future Discworld books.

As for Trev and Juliet, as sweet as they are, I am not particularly interested in knowing much more about them. I won't be sad if they're not lead characters in future Discworld books.

In summary: I am very happy that I can now give UA a thumbs-up. :)

I liked his treatment of co-dependency, or more to the point, Glenda's need to control everything. I can think of quite a few people I wish could be cured (I almost said how!) so easily. He still had the lovely one-liners. It did take a while to get going, though. And yes, the big match didn't seem to have high enough stakes.

I've been giving UA a bit more thought and I realised something - I don't think the plot is as well-defined as with his previous books. Yes, there is the big football match and question of Mr Nutt's identity but...neither really adds up to anything hugely significant.

UA seemed to be a more meditative book, with not much action. The quips were less snappy. I sometimes had to read a line several times before I got the meaning. Again, I'm not complaining, as I don't think the change in tone is necessarily a negative one. It just means that I had to readjust my expectations as I read.

I bought this as a Christmas present for my wife (I'm also a fan) but only got about 2/3 of the way through and just wasn't gripped. It's been relegated to the loo as an 'occasional read' but I still haven't finished it, and usually his only take me a day or so. Ho hum...

What I can't understand is why CMOT Dibbler ain't in it ; surely he wouldnt pass up an opportunity to unleash some of his merchandise upon unwitting supporters? Or is he losing his touch?

What I can't understand is why CMOT Dibbler ain't in it ; surely he wouldnt pass up an opportunity to unleash some of his merchandise upon unwitting supporters? Or is he losing his touch?

There is CMOT Dibbler. He is selling "UU jerseys" with U's looking like t*ts (which University design team made special effort to avoid), and wooden footballs with signatures of UU team only without signatures (personal touch, people would want to sign them themselves).

Unseen Academicals was a fun read, but not his best work. It seemed somewhat formulaic - Pratchett has written nearly all of the plot elements in previous Discworld stories.

I have to agree with that, although I did enjoy the book. I felt that either Pratchett lost control of, or sense of, some of his characters, or someone else was writing chunks of the story for him. I remember wondering how much this he was actually able to write since I'd heard about his suffering from early onset Alzheimer's and having problems with remembering words or thoughts in some public addresses.

Vetinari in particular seemed, I don't know, overly talkative and not quite the same person I've read dozens of times before.

Not one of my favourites. I have the feeling that TP doesn't 'get' football. Ok it's cliched (I suppose deliberatey so) but not in a 'clever' way , as much of his other work is. It's certainly not (imho) a page-turner and quite hard work at times.Loved Going Postal , Making Money - most of his more recent books tbh (apart from Monstrous Regiment). Then again I would hate to write a successful humorous football story - an impossible task imho.

Let me say first that I haven't read this yet; it's on my list to read (but I want to savour the anticipation a bit longer :p). Consequently I had to read this thread a little carefully skipping here and there, though actually knowing the plot is generally not too critical with Discworld IMO. However I just wanted to point out something that leaps out at me from this thread and that is how varied peoples responses are to different books. Its quite fascinating re-read thread if you want to see what I mean.

Some people think his later stuff is superior to his earlier stuff, some think Reaper Man one of his low points others think its one of his best and so on. I don't think I have come across another author with so much individual variation of fave book and yet stil having such a strong following. Usually there tends to be general (though never universal) agreement on an author's best and worst books but with Pratchett everyone seems to have their own favourite. Just an observation but it does make reviewing him a pretty dangerous business. Take Unseen Academicals, that this thread is about, and anyone like me who hasn't read it yet won't have a clue. Some seem to think it one of his best, while others found it weak. The real beauty of it is, it is Pratchett and I am going to read it anyway and even if I think it is not one of his best I'm almost certainly going to enjoy it. :D

Let me say first that I haven't read this yet; it's on my list to read (but I want to savour the anticipation a bit longer :p). Consequently I had to read this thread a little carefully skipping here and there, though actually knowing the plot is generally not too critical with Discworld IMO. However I just wanted to point out something that leaps out at me from this thread and that is how varied peoples responses are to different books. Its quite fascinating re-read thread if you want to see what I mean.

Some people think his later stuff is superior to his earlier stuff, some think Reaper Man one of his low points others think its one of his best and so on. I don't think I have come across another author with so much individual variation of fave book and yet stil having such a strong following. Usually there tends to be general (though never universal) agreement on an author's best and worst books but with Pratchett everyone seems to have their own favourite. Just an observation but it does make reviewing him a pretty dangerous business. Take Unseen Academicals, that this thread is about, and anyone like me who hasn't read it yet won't have a clue. Some seem to think it one of his best, while others found it weak. The real beauty of it is, it is Pratchett and I am going to read it anyway and even if I think it is not one of his best I'm almost certainly going to enjoy it. :D

He is the most unpredictable author I read. Pick up the wrong novel as a starting point , and I would never have read him again. Fortunately that wasnt the case and I was hooked - good books and bad. I just hope with new stories they're more Night Watch than Thief Of Time

It's funny how different books appeal to different people. I actually quite enjoy most, if not all, of of the later books but have problems with some of the earlier ones, especially Hogfather. I certainly miss Granny and Nanny Ogg and would enjoy seeing them again in a more adult orientated book instead of the Tiffany Aching ones.

I didn't get to read Unseen Academicals until this summer as I always wait for the paperback to come out and then for a trip back to the UK and Waterstones. But this meant I got to read the book during the hype of the World Cup, which made it even more enjoyable.

I have to agree with many of the comments here that the last third of the book was a bit of a let down and it is a bit hard to get in to at the beggining. That said, it benefits greatly from a second read shortly after the first as you are a lot more familiar with the characters and do not feel as confused at the beginning (and can appreciate the start of the book).

I do dislike the fact that Terry is leaving all these unfinished story arcs out there (instead of closed books like Monstrous Regiment). Now there is both a Moist von Lipwig book and a Nutt book that one could expect but have not been published yet. The only reason I say this is because tragically we don't know how long Terry will be able to keep on writing and I would hate it that an arc goes unfinished, or even worse, someone else attempts to finish it once he cannot write any more.

I do dislike the fact that Terry is leaving all these unfinished story arcs out there (instead of closed books like Monstrous Regiment). Now there is both a Moist von Lipwig book and a Nutt book that one could expect but have not been published yet. The only reason I say this is because tragically we don't know how long Terry will be able to keep on writing and I would hate it that an arc goes unfinished, or even worse, someone else attempts to finish it once he cannot write any more.

I don't think I'd consider those characters to be unfinished arcs. It's not uncommon for Pratchett to introduce a character for the sake of the story he's writing, then never use him again. Pyramids, The Truth, and Going Postal have main characters who only existed in the Discworld universe for that one book. Mort is another one story character. He's referenced later as having been Susan's father, but we never see him again.

Has anyone noticed that the dust cover on the United States edition is basketball not football? I think the US publishers are trying to hard to sell to US audinces. I passed it off to two readers who didn't know Pratchett as a good place to start, as they were football fans.

As a footie fan I must say I was a little disappointed. I didnt think the whole thing jelled and as has been said before, I dont think Terry gets football. The story arcs were a bit haphazard and I found the last few chapters quite heavy going. Character development wise, I dont think it has matched some books previous. Basically not one of my favourites. Going to look at I shall wear midnight as I buy anything Terry Pratchett, but worried at its kids book slant. Ah well.

Well, I tend to read these things repeatedly, but after this one, 'Monstrous Regiment,' (which, to paraphrase Mr Tulip, 'If Pratchett wrote that, it must've been with his --ing foot,') actually looks good.

UA and now, 'Snuff,' make it clear that one of the finest living writers in the world is due for retirement.:(

I don't think I'd consider those characters to be unfinished arcs. It's not uncommon for Pratchett to introduce a character for the sake of the story he's writing, then never use him again. Pyramids, The Truth, and Going Postal have main characters who only existed in the Discworld universe for that one book. Mort is another one story character. He's referenced later as having been Susan's father, but we never see him again.

Going Postal was Moist Von Lipwig, who also appears in Making Money - IMO, Terry Pratchett's finest moments. :)

Mort is another one story character. He's referenced later as having been Susan's father, but we never see him again.

Umm - yes, you do. He's killed, along with Ysabell, his wife and Death's adopted daughter, in the coach crash at the start of Soul Music, which kicks off the whole plot of that book.

Back