Angels & Demons (2009)

Allegra

Angels & Demons - strike's 1st casualty

BBC NEWS | Entertainment | Strike hits Da Vinci Code prequel

A follow-up to The Da Vinci Code has become the first big-screen casualty of the Hollywood writers' strike.

Angels & Demons, a prequel to the movie adaptation of Dan Brown's novel, is being delayed by Columbia Pictures because its script needs more work. It had been due for release around Christmas 2008, but has now been pencilled in for May 2009.

Tom Hanks is due to reprise his role as crime-solving professor Robert Langdon in Angels & Demons, also based on a Dan Brown novel. Like its predecessor, it will be directed by Ron Howard. The plot sees Langdon attempt to thwart a plot by an ancient group to blow up the Vatican.

Re: Angels & Demons - strike's 1st casualty

If that's going to be what happens as a result of the strike, long may it continue.

I can't say I'll be the first in line to see this one. Dan Brown's a little overrated, if you ask me. Although, I hope the writer's strike ends soon, even if it means that this one will come out.

I thought this cloud might have a silver lining - and I was right.

It's brickbat invitation time again.

I read Angels and Demons and found it to be a lot better than the Da Vinci Code. Okay, that's not saying much, I know.

The narrative drive behind the search and chase made a lot more sense in this book than in its "sequel". Then again, in spite of all the twists, I found the ending unconvincing, if - in filmic terms - potentially spectacular.

I suppose I might care if the product was worthwhile, but, as they produce more sh*t than a herd of elephants on senna pods, it's difficult to feel any sympathy for them.

The irony being the fact that the "script needs more work" didn't prevent them blundering ahead and making and releasing DVC.

I read Angels and Demons and found it to be a lot better than the Da Vinci Code. Okay, that's not saying much, I know.

The narrative drive behind the search and chase made a lot more sense in this book than in its "sequel". Then again, in spite of all the twists, I found the ending unconvincing, if - in filmic terms - potentially spectacular.
I'd agree with that, and also that the novels are over-rated, but why some things are popular and what is more worthy, who is to say.

What confuses me is that this is a film based on a book, and already has a screenplay. How exactly is it "being delayed by Columbia Pictures because its script needs more work"? This is not a weekly TV show where the episode is still being written right up to the final few minutes of shooting. Is it not possible to improvise?

This is not a weekly TV show where the episode is still being written right up to the final few minutes of shooting. Is it not possible to improvise?
That might qualify as writing and be considered strike breaking. As too the movie itself, I found the Langdon character kinda backpedaled the controversy in the movie as opposed to the book. Are they going to make it more gentle for the religious audiences again?

I recently saw Angels and Demons, the film based on the Dan Brown book. From what I can recall of the book, the film follows its plot quite closely (which is not much of a compliment). This results in the pace being frantic and the characterisation minimal. As such things go, it's not a bad popcorn movie but it takes itself too seriously; there isn’t an (intended) smile in the whole film. Probably best enjoyed with a slightly drunken audience making ribald remarks at (in)appropriate moments. One minor detail for car enthusiasts: a new Lancia Delta is given a prominent role (I wonder how much they paid for that?). Lancias have of course not been imported into the UK for over twenty years since they demonstrated a positively alchemical ability to convert car body steel into rust. They keep promising to return, but no sign so far.

(An extract from my SFF blog)

re: Angels & Demons (2009)

Think I'll give it a miss after reading the book.Although I enjoyed Angels and Demons slightly more than the Da Vinci Code think that was more to do with the fact I was reading during the last papal elections.